Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 04:27 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,570,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No, that is just your attempt to sweep the stupidity exhibited by many out of critical view. In reality between 40 - 50% are this stupid.

Lying for Jesus again? Educate yourself before trying to educate others.

Young Earth creationism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Statistics which also scare the hell out of me, we are literately surrounded by stupid people, lots and lots of them.

But note how quickly it tails off when they become more educated. Knowledge the deadly foe of stupid ancient superstitions.

Don't those the deal only in facts annoy the hell out of you when we actually do fact checking and don't take anyone word without question.
Can you tell me the difference between lying and being mistaken? Probably not. I am surprised that according to polls-you are right and I am wrong (have you ever admitted to being wrong?)

And BTW I am educated and believe that evolution is a solid theory. As do most of my friends

So next time you want to quote polls I give you this: only 1.6% of people according to Mr. Pew are atheists.

Statistics on Religion in America Report -- Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

OK-tell me what to do: next time an atheist says that more than 1.6% of people are atheists shall I call him/her a liar or just a person who is mistaken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 05:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,564,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

OK-tell me what to do: next time an atheist says that more than 1.6% of people are atheists shall I call him/her a liar or just a person who is mistaken?
And if they link to surveys that contradict your cherry picked survey?

Old 09-05-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
And if they link to surveys that contradict your cherry picked survey?
Pew isn't exactly a cherry pickin' organization. Like sayin' Gallup doesn't know how to do polling.

But yea, but both you and I know that we can find "pollsters" who can twist a question to acheive a goal. Pew and Gallup, strangely unbiased. At the very least, well respected for being straightforward.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:31 PM

33,572 posts, read 37,198,452 times
I do not believe any poll on atheism is accurate, and here is why....Legal and social discrimination against atheists in some places may lead some to deny or conceal their atheism due to fears of persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in the United States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities, more so than Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians, and other groups.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:43 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,564,335 times
Quote:
Pew isn't exactly a cherry pickin' organization. Like sayin' Gallup doesn't know how to do polling.

But yea, but both you and I know that we can find "pollsters" who can twist a question to acheive a goal. Pew and Gallup, strangely unbiased. At the very least, well respected for being straightforward.
Well if they were correct, there should only be 1 or 2 atheists participating here..........

Again the annoyance of them dang realities................

Old 09-05-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I do not believe any poll on atheism is accurate, and here is why....Legal and social discrimination against atheists in some places may lead some to deny or conceal their atheism due to fears of persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in the United States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities, more so than Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians, and other groups.
So much for polls-on either side of the issue. So why don't we just dispense with polls and rely on personal opinions.

With that said I will stand by my opinion that only less than 10% of Christians are YEC types despite what the PEW/Gallup pollsters folk say. And you OTOH hand can say whatever you feel is true regarding the % of atheists in society despite what the PEW/Gallup pollsters folk say. OK Fair enough!

Quote:
Well if they were correct, there should only be 1 or 2 atheists participating here..........

Again the annoyance of them dang realities................
Truth be told Atheists are attracted to religious sites like moths to a flame. I doubt that 30 to 60% of the general population are nontheists. Which seems to be the case on the R&P forum.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:11 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,915,096 times
[quote]
Quote:
How would you like it if I declared that atheists are just a bunch of amoral folk who have nothing better to do than to act offended when someone wishes them a Merry Christmas
Well, I personaly wouldn't be offended because I don't consider myself to be Atheist, more of an agnostic myself. However, my sense of human decency would be offended.

Quote:
Just to educate you: less than 10% of Christians (mainly young earth creationists) believe the world is 6000 years old. Heck, Jerico dates back to 11,000 BC
Oh sorry. I forgot that there are those who change what they believe after irrefutable facts are discovered despite that they contradict the inerrant word of their God. I'm used to dealing with those individuals who are content in living in ignorant bliss.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:05 PM

33,572 posts, read 37,198,452 times
Quote:
One of the facts I remember was them talkinmg about a small ape clhild who they named Kia {?} something like that. She lived 3 million years ago. Doesn't exactly fit with your 6000 yr. old earth now does it?[/quote]???

Nothing like stereotyping people with whom you disagree. How would you like it if I declared that atheists are just a bunch of amoral folk who have nothing better to do than to act offended when someone wishes them a Merry Christmas.

Just to educate you: less than 10% of Christians (mainly young earth creationists) believe the world is 6000 years old. Heck, Jerico dates back to 11,000 BC
How many Young Earth Creationists/Bible Literalists are there in the United States?

1. 148 million people

a. This estimate was given by the Public Information Office at the Institute for Creation Research (ICR) on 12/19/05, in response to a message left by ProCon.org.

2. 130 million people

a. The results of a 1997 Gallup poll showed that 44% of the public (roughly 130 million people) and 5% of scientists subscribe to the Creationist view that "God created man pretty much in his present form at one time within the last 10,000 years."

3. 124 million people

a. The New York Times reported on a 2005 survey of 2,000 people by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life that found: "42 percent of respondents held strict creationist views, agreeing that 'living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of time.'"
Math Used by Young Earth Creationists Who Believe That the Earth Is About 6,000 Years Old - Under God in the Pledge - ProCon.org

Old 09-05-2011, 11:27 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,078,978 times
Quote:
No, that is just your attempt to sweep the stupidity exhibited by many out of critical view. In reality between 40 - 50% are this stupid.

Lying for Jesus again? Educate yourself before trying to educate others.

Young Earth creationism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Statistics which also scare the hell out of me, we are literately surrounded by stupid people, lots and lots of them.

But note how quickly it tails off when they become more educated. Knowledge the deadly foe of stupid ancient superstitions.

Don't those the deal only in facts annoy the hell out of you when we actually do fact checking and don't take anyone word without question.
I think he meant in the world. the stupidity stats for the USA are much higher as most here have little reason to worry about an outside reality which doesn't conform with personal beliefs.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:32 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,078,978 times
Quote:
So much for polls-on either side of the issue. So why don't we just dispense with polls and rely on personal opinions.

With that said I will stand by my opinion that only less than 10% of Christians are YEC types despite what the PEW/Gallup pollsters folk say. And you OTOH hand can say whatever you feel is true regarding the % of atheists in society despite what the PEW/Gallup pollsters folk say. OK Fair enough!

Truth be told Atheists are attracted to religious sites like moths to a flame. I doubt that 30 to 60% of the general population are nontheists. Which seems to be the case on the R&P forum.
I doubt that such an assaertion is true. I'm sure atheists come here for the same reason Christians do: to read and post. atheists are as wanting to be religious as their genes allow. As are Christians, atracted to sin. atheists simply appear today to be more concerned with the established religions and the "mistakes" they inspire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality