Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:41 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,882,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It goes with..."RIGHT" will win a few battles.

Black integration into the society was "RIGHT"...and they won that battle...even though at the time they weren't part of the "MIGHT".

I said that happens sometimes.

You have to get "MIGHT" on your side...or get lucky.
Were the blacks lucky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 04:17 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,678,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Were the blacks lucky?
No, not in that case...they had the "MIGHT" of the law, that fortunately most in the country agreed with (more "MIGHT"), on their side.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:48 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,985,062 times
I think a lot of the discussion here is extremely off-topic.

The issue at hand was a city administration handing over free property to a Roman Catholic High School. A judge, responding to a group of tax-paying citizens in a law suit, agreed that what took place is unfair.

Now all this talk about majorities and minorities ... I looked up the statistics for the Roman Catholic Church in the US, and it appears they make up about 22% of the population; an impressive number to be sure but still a minority.

What kind of precedent does this set? If the City Council hands over a $1.2 million dollar piece of property to a Catholic school, what should they do if a Protestant school or a Jewish School or a Unitarian School or a Buddhist school needs an athletic field?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:03 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,678,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think a lot of the discussion here is extremely off-topic.

The issue at hand was a city administration handing over free property to a Roman Catholic High School. A judge, responding to a group of tax-paying citizens in a law suit, agreed that what took place is unfair.

Now all this talk about majorities and minorities ... I looked up the statistics for the Roman Catholic Church in the US, and it appears they make up about 22% of the population; an impressive number to be sure but still a minority.

What kind of precedent does this set? If the City Council hands over a $1.2 million dollar piece of property to a Catholic school, what should they do if a Protestant school or a Jewish School or a Unitarian School or a Buddhist school needs an athletic field?
Good points Clark.

IMO...religious organizations should pay taxes on everything but their bona fide charitable endeavors.
Anything else is a favor of "the church" by the "state".

Old 09-08-2011, 06:18 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,681,277 times
If the catholic church wants that piece of property, they can purchase it from the city at the same price or more then the city purchased it for.

Last edited by ptsum; 09-08-2011 at 07:16 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 06:35 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,608,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
If the majority of the electorate and the majority of the government in all branches determines to ignore the constitution, who's going to stop them?

The Supreme court has in the past and will in the future.
A huge majority of the people were in favour of the parts of the "New deal" that the supreme court quashed so your comment must be made out of ignorance of both history and the Constitution of the USA and how it works!!!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:48 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,627,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The Supreme court has in the past and will in the future.
A huge majority of the people were in favor of the parts of the "New deal" that the supreme court quashed so your comment must be made out of ignorance of both history and the Constitution of the USA and how it works!!!
...and how would I characterize your response? Stupidity?

The Supreme Court constitutes a portion of judicial branch of our government which is part of the three branches I specified in my post. In other words, if the majority of the supreme court joins forces with the executive and the legislative branch and the electorate, who's going to stop them?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:53 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,586,447 times
And if the new high school were a Muslim school? Or even a Jewish school? All of the fools here wanting to blur the line between church and state would be screaming in their indignation.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:46 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,796,926 times
Leave the religious aspect out for a second. A city government buys a lot for $1.2 million and then sells it to a non-governmental organization for $1. As a taxpayer I would be riding the mayor and city council out of town on a rail.

On the other hand, South Bend was getting a high school (tuition-based, but still...) cheaper than it could build one itself. I can see why the city made the deal.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:25 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,728,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Were the blacks lucky?
You're witnessing religious thinking in action. Facts agree with him = he's right. Facts disagree with him = reality will obviously change so he's also right. It's sad that this kind of faith isn't limited to meaningless stuff like religion, but what can you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality