Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:29 AM

901 posts, read 2,390,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

Intentionally scattering our bodies to wherever at least symbolically is a rejection of the Christian belief in Resurrection.
I don't see how that is the case. First, how would you address the Catholic Church's veneration of relics, which have historically included the ashes, or partial skeletal remains, of saints? Second, God - who created man out of the dust of the earth - is capable of gathering those same ashes and bones back up, from wherever they were scattered, to reform them back into a physical body at Resurrection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post

I did want to briefly address the comment of another poster about Unitarian Universalism. "Insightofitall" said most UU's believe in relativism.

Don't mistake our inclusiveness for relativism.
I'm not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
As far as I can tell, most of us have strongly held beliefs, and we, as individuals, believe the beliefs we have are true. It has been my experience that the majority of us don't believe that every belief can be right in its own way. But, we respect the right of each individual to believe what they believe. We may not share their beliefs, and we may personally believe their beliefs probably aren't true, but we support them in their own journey.
Doesn't what you are saying basically square away with what you read here....

Relativism*[Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

What is relativism? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

Incidentally, I hope you don't think I'm arguing or making any kind of judgment call here. I'm in no position to do that. I'm just addressing the OP.

Last edited by insightofitall; 11-03-2011 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 07:11 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,078,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
I don't see how that is the case. First, how would you address the Catholic Church's veneration of relics, which have historically included the ashes, or partial skeletal remains, of saints? Second, God - who created man out of the dust of the earth - is capable of gathering those same ashes and bones back up, from wherever they were scattered, to reform them back into a physical body at Resurrection.
First, veneration of relics by the Catholic Church? No, I think those within the actual Church are educated enough to understand they are just props used as evidence that the Saints were real. If it gives the common people a degree of trust and of having evidence that their Saints aren't just made up than the better for Christianity, since all it requires is the veneration of Jesus as God and part of the Trinity and his death and what not. There is not much that Jesus and his immediate followers said against about having relics from the past to prove the past true.

Second, science tells a different story about the origins of humans. And the atoms within people are continually replaced as you live, once you die, those atoms become part of decomposers and some of them would eventually end up in another dead Christian in the future, So then "using the same atoms" would be a ridiculous and unlikely way for God to physically resurrect all of the dead Christians who metaphorically killed themselves during the water purification ritual... and or sold their souls to worship it in the hopes of attaining immortality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality