Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:47 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,576,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post

With all the dumb and wasteful spending the government does, I am sure they are invested in something like this as well. The Government does want to control your mind, anyone who denies this is blind or has bought into it. But, a topic for another time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

On this?..........

We agree on all counts!
And this differs how from religion? Very little for it is all about controlling the masses. Government has the advantage in that religion has programmed those without the ability to think to accept what authority says as fact, and without question. The scoundrels of religion are the enablers for the scoundrels of government.

Religion and government teach "what to think" and not "how to think" for if a person knows 'how' to think they are seen as an imminent threat by both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 01:07 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,920,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And this differs how from religion? Very little for it is all about controlling the masses. Government has the advantage in that religion has programmed those without the ability to think to accept what authority says as fact, and without question. The scoundrels of religion are the enablers for the scoundrels of government.

Religion and government teach "what to think" and not "how to think" for if a person knows 'how' to think they are seen as an imminent threat by both.
Preaching to the choir Ashville....

I'm quite active in certain groups trying to limit the gov't power over individual freedoms and prevent the "nanny state". It's quite grimm out there, not many want to bear the burden of thinking for themselves.

Take a look at my blog to learn more about one of the subjects I am most active in.

Quote:

The only reason I have yet to respond to your DM is because I only have time later in the day to check posts, later tonight or tomorrow morning I will respond and tell you all about it and how I came to this decision if you want.?
Take your time. I understand where you'r coming from on this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Do not waste your time. tgonstic clearly just generates the majority of his posts using a random word generator. None of them mean anything.
You've noticed this as well huh?

Old 11-17-2011, 01:48 PM

Gettihng back to the OP for a moment, I think the following verse is befitting of the discussion....

Quote:
Proverbs 24; 1,2

"Do not be envious of evil men,
Nor desire to be with them:
For their heart desires
violence,
And their lips talk of
troublemaking."
---NKJV

Old 11-17-2011, 02:42 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,331,169 times
Quote:

Last time I checked atheists didn't just choose one religion to attack when they do. They attack them all.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,576,363 times
Quote:
Last time I checked atheists didn't just choose one religion to attack when they do. They attack them all.
All religions present various levels of threat to society and mankind's future. If you choose to call it attack, that's your interpretation of defending one's rights and society from the stupidity of religion.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
All religions present various levels of threat to society and mankind's future. If you choose to call it attack, that's your interpretation of defending one's rights and society from the stupidity of religion.
Please explain in more detail how this is true. I have to know how the Amish pose a threat to society? If you could, explain how each religion can cause a threat to society. I know how Christian and Islamic religion can, so you can skip those.

If it is true that all religions present various levels of threat to society, wouldn't that also suggest that all philosophical ideas pose a threat to society, and that all views of religion pose a threat to society?

Please by all means paint me a picture...

Old 11-18-2011, 02:26 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,389,906 times
Quote:
Of course because all but a few religions share the exact same core unsubstantiated claim: The existence of god. So it would be intellectually dishonest to attack one of them and not the other.

If anyone could substantiate the existence of the god then we could start to differentiate between the religions and attack some and not others. Until that time however they are all just world views based on the same core claim and that claim is.... to date.... entirely unsubstantiated in any way.

That is, of course, not to say that some religions are not in OTHER ways very much worse than some other religions. If I asked people which they would prefer.... their neighbor hood to receive 100 new fundamentalist Muslims.... or 100 new fundamentalist Jains.... I think we both know everyone is going to choose the latter. There is a reason for that.

Quote:
So you want greater detail but you also want a simple outline? Please, discuss among each other what you want and I will provide it.
Do not pretend that the two are mutually exclusive just to present another cop out of telling us exactly what you are talking about. I recognise you might want to keep your ideas vague because they are baseless and possibly even ludicrous, but do not do us the insult of pretending you are doing so because of some failure on OUR part.

You are the one espousing the existence of some kind of "Life force energy". I merely want to know exactly what you mean by this phrase.

Quote:
Do you really want me to write a biology book about energy and how it works?
No, but nice try. As I said already however I am more than aware already of the energy sources used by life on this planet. The sun, photosynthesis, the more recently discovered chemeosynthesis. The energy processes of life are far from opaque to me and you are erring into one of my fields now on which I know quite a bit more than the average poster.

What I am asking you is simply whether this vague term of "life force energy" that you are throwing around is merely just a label for all that stuff we know already... or are you talking about something else/extra entirely. An answer I am not going to get to as long as you continue to wriggle out of all calls to adumbrate what you are talking about when you use this phrase.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:47 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,726,081 times
Quote:
Sorry what I meant was energy. All living things give off and absorb/consume energy.
As do many non-living things. So?

Old 11-18-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
As do many non-living things. So?
Is there anything that does not absorb or give off energy?

Old 11-18-2011, 01:39 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Please explain in more detail how this is true. I have to know how the Amish pose a threat to society?quote]
I'll take this one folks.....

I really dont have all that much aganst the Amish. They are a quiet people, they are set in their ideology and they don't really care if they "save" you or not.

However, I would have to say that the #1 threat to society they pose specificly is that it is their goal to keep humans living in a state of ignornce. Now, this is true of all religions, but the Amish take it one step further. They believe that getting an education is actually agianst God and is a sin. Education past the 8th grade is forbidden in most Amish sects, because it may lead to pride.

} Not to mention they don't pay taxes for the roads they love to drive their buggies on and annoy the rest of us "motorists" and they refuse to go to war to defend a country that so many others have died to defend their right to practice their faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality