Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 12:35 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,407,710 times

Advertisements

If all of Hegel was that bit, it would be pretty irrelevant; I will attempt to get it a little larger. Mind moves from a low level of thought to the higher (both culturally, race systemically, and individually; that is why there are dolts and smart guys, stupid and dumb cultures and such-it is coordinated into a humankind whole that all moves at once). This movement is the attempt by mind to
"see" itself, and then to find itself in all things. Historically, at the early end mind does not have all of its possible movements as actual but merely as possible (if it were not possible it could not happen)-historically this gets worked out (see his history of philosophy). Early society is not as developed (obviously much of modern society is composed of dolts-so Hegel is pointing towards the philosophical not rabble opinion) as the latter society-can anyone guess what this is called? Progress. Slavery was an accepted part of early society; Just because most of us do not think this is right, well means very little, and to attempt to criticize backwards is rather empty headed; after all, a thousand years from now our culture will look pretty stupid-as it should. The bible, as text, must function through time despite the cultural changes, that is a pretty difficult task. Theologically, this slavery of the past is a non-issue and only exist so the ignorant can appear to make points against it. This only works for dolts on both sides of the issue.

The next questions one must ask, and as a philosophy thread, and the two great questions that need to be pondered in philosophy, but one does not expect any such an analysis on data forum, is, what is slavery?, and why or how is its necessity (it is a possible system after all, and if it was)? Just because our society and times thinks it is wrong does not mean that it is wrong, especially in its various forms. Culturally, at the many times of its being, it fitted into the systems that existed at the time (biblically, there were forms for voluntary slavery, and for the slave to bind himself to his master for life if he so chose-one has to see both the positive and negative sides here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 12:58 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,576,363 times
Why does the Bible permit slavery?

Cause the man that wrote that part owned slaves.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:30 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,119,938 times
And the topic is.
The bible God and slavery......
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDE DUDE View Post
I hope this question doesn't offend anyone.

The Bible has several passages that not only condone, but seemingly encourage slavery. How do Christians interpret these verses?

Here are some pro-slavery passages from the Old Testament:

Exodus 21:7-8
“If a man sells his daughter as a female slave, she is not to go free as the male slaves do.If she is displeasing in the eyes of her master who designated her for himself, then he shall let her be redeemed. He does not have authority to sell her to a foreign people because of his unfairness to her.

Leviticus 25:44-46
“‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Here's a pro-slavery text from the New Testament:

Colossians 3:22-25
Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for their wrongs, and there is no favoritism.

What should one make of these passages?

Old 11-19-2011, 08:55 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,119,938 times
Quote:

The Bible has several passages that not only condone, but seemingly encourage slavery. How do Christians interpret these verses?

“If a man sells his daughter as a female slave, she is not to go free as the male slaves do.If she is displeasing in the eyes of her master who designated her for himself, then he shall let her be redeemed. He does not have authority to sell her to a foreign people because of his unfairness to her.

“‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for their wrongs, and there is no favoritism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue
Moderator cut: caution

Many posts have been deleted or edited from this very sensitive topic....Please srtay on topic if you wish to continue this discusion or it will be closed and infractions issued..
Please lets get this back to the OP.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:54 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,995,023 times
Quote:

Several points here. First, as has already been pointed out, the word slave is ebed and can be translated as either slave or servant.

Second when it says, "If thou buy an Hebrew servant." This word buy here isn't the word qna' which means to purchase, but is qanah which can mean to recover or redeem.

The idea is when ppl cannot support themselves or their family they agree to be a richer persons servant for 6 yrs.

2 If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing.
3 If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him.

Here God is saying that servitude can not break up the family.

Exodus 21:4 "If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself."

This again was for the purpose of protection for family members if there was no competent provider for his wife/children.

This isn't slavery as we understand where the slave has no rights and is a slave for the rest of his life, etc etc.

And in regards to a person 'selling' their children it was because of the same idea. If a man could not provide for his children, he had to sell his children to another person so that both that child and the man could exist/not starve to death.

Also think of this with the idea of being a slave/servant: aren't we a slave/servant of Christ?

The apostles called themselves slaves: Romans 1:1

Here's Paul's words, "From Paul, a bond slave/servant of Christ (the Messiah)..."

2 Peter 1:1"...a slave/servant and apostle of CHRIST...".

James 1:1 "...a slave/servant of God and of the Lord JESUS CHRIST...".

1 Corinthians 7:22 For he that is called in the Lord, being a slave/servant, is the Lord’s freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ’s servant.

Matthew 4:10 "You shall worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve."

Romans 6:18 "Ye became the servant of righteousness."

Also it would be helpful to understand the Hebrew concept of slavery by look it up in the Smith's Bible Dictionary.

Last edited by mshipmate; 11-19-2011 at 10:14 PM..

Old 11-19-2011, 09:58 PM

100 posts, read 101,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Just an observation...you seem to waste a lot of energy focusing on blaming other factors for the things you are unhappy about in life.

You would feel better and enjoy life more if you'd quit looking for external things to blame and start with the man in the mirror and what HE can do to make life better, for himself and those around him
I'm not angry or unhappy. I am only here to learn more about Christianity from an objective standpoint. Despite what my name suggests, I do respect other people's opinions and points of view. I also have a lot of respect for many Christian principles (the ones about treating people how you want to be treated etc.)

Sometimes, I am too intellectually curious; I admit that. But after reading the Bible for myself, I see that many mainstream Christians skip over and disregard a lot things in a book they believe to be holy and infallible. I just want to understand why they would do this. If a book is truly infallible, wouldn't it make sense to follow all of its tenets, principles, and rules? If you don't, that's like saying the book is not at all infallible and that you are more rational and all-knowing than the book's creator(s).

I know religion is a very sensitive topic. Again, I apologize if I have offended you. I am only here to learn. If I have a question about Christianity, it makes sense to directly ask the people who practice the religion.

If your faith is truly strong, you will no doubt be able to bear and answer all of my questions.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,861,645 times
Quote:
I'm not angry or unhappy. I am only here to learn more about Christianity from an objective standpoint. Despite what my name suggests, I do respect other people's opinions and points of view. I also have a lot of respect for many Christian principles (the ones about treating people how you want to be treated etc.)

Sometimes, I am too intellectually curious; I admit that. But after reading the Bible for myself, I see that many mainstream Christians skip over and disregard a lot things in a book they believe to be holy and infallible. I just want to understand why they would do this. If a book is truly infallible, wouldn't it make sense to follow all of its tenets, principles, and rules? If you don't, that's like saying the book is not at all infallible and that you are more rational and all-knowing than the book's creator(s).

I know religion is a very sensitive topic. Again, I apologize if I have offended you. I am only here to learn. If I have a question about Christianity, it makes sense to directly ask the people who practice the religion.

If your faith is truly strong, you will no doubt be able to bear and answer all of my questions.

I appreciate your thoughtful and time consuming approach here

Others besides myself have said on your threads that you what you are not understanding is that to get what the Bible is all about you have to read it in context.

When you do not understand the importance of reading the Bible in context, much of the Bible will not make sense to you or will seem contradictory.

Christians aren't "skipping or disregarding" anything in the Bible, you just don't know how to read it or interpret it when you read it.

Please don't be offended by what I'm going to say. I promise I'm just trying to illustrate a point for your benefit, the understanding you say you seek.

You can't expect a little kid with his limited knowledge and education to get in a 737 and fly the aircraft, right?

Doesn't the pilot of that kind of machine have to have gone to college, gone to flight school, understand the concepts of physics and aerodynamics?

The kid is not a stupid kid, just one who has not attained the required skills, education and maturity to do the job.

THAT'S kind of what it's like for a non-Christian to suddenly pick up a Bible and think they are going to know or understand God

Old 11-19-2011, 11:52 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,039,365 times
Yes, buying, selling and beating other people who you "own" must be interpreted differently than what's clearly on the page! Boy the hoops some will jump through...

Old 11-20-2011, 08:52 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,017,986 times
Again, I think some people are confusing slavery with indentured servants (which at points in history has resembled slavery itself). One you WILLINGLY subject yourself to another person's ownership with regulations in place while in the other you are FORCED to be someone else's property to do WHATEVER they want to do with you. In one, you still have SOME rights and in the other you have NONE.

Indentured servants = Israelites

Slaves = prisoners of war, kidnapped victims

Old 11-20-2011, 09:56 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,576,363 times
Funny that people so fear enslavement by man while having their mind enslaved by the absurdities of ancient superstition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality