Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:18 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Just like Muslims have a high holiday - this season - this month is OUR high holiday! In reality - Christmas is a high Jewish holiday for a certain small and ignored sect of Jews who founded the religion. I guess that is why some Muslims don't like Christmas because there is Jewishness connected to it. Christmas has always been dispised by Muslims and Jews..it is a renegade way of thinking...Christians reject most old Jewish laws as foolishness - "Your traditions are killing you"...and Muslims connect Christmas to being Jewish - and most Muslims have been taught to not like Jews - hence Christians...It's kind of odd - I believe that Muslims and Jews hate Christmas to a degree because it is embarassing to them how successful the religion was and is..that it is a superiour way of thinging and living - that Christianity built the prosperous western world that we live in...envy?
Speak for yourself, because you don't speak for all Christians. Easter is the most important day in the Christian liturgical calendar, not Christmas. And Christians do not reject "most old Jewish laws" as foolishness--they believe GOD gave those laws to the Jews, and some Christians also believe that it wrong to try to lure Jews away from those God-given laws.

The rest of your speculations are laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 08:35 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Who cares? If you want to celebrate Christmas as a Christian holiday - you are free to do so. If you choose to simply indulge in the fun of the season - you are free to do that as well.
I thought celebrating it as anything other than a religious Protestant evangelical Christian holiday meant you were declaring war on Christmas. Your lack of unquestioning acceptance of their beliefs and practices as your own means you're persecuting them. Why do you hate the baby Jesus on his birthday?

Old 12-06-2011, 08:54 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
I thought celebrating it as anything other than a religious Protestant evangelical Christian holiday meant you were declaring war on Christmas. Your lack of unquestioning acceptance of their beliefs and practices as your own means you're persecuting them. Why do you hate the baby Jesus on his birthday?
That's so wrong to say. No one said anything about hating Jesus. Just because someone chooses to celebrate for the sake of gathering and sharing with family, is no where near persecution.
With this particular holiday that is a hodge-podge of different reasons and traditions, how can any group exclusively 'claim' it.

By your logic, Christians are disrespecting the pre-Christian people, the various pagans from which many of the holiday's symbolic decorations originated.

I want to say that as a pagan I appreciate those Christians that have learned the history behind the holiday and share in a cross cultural celebration.
There is beauty in all the different celebrations, so why can't we all honor eachother and our differences and coexist peacefully and stop this madness.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:13 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
There is beauty in all the different celebrations, so why can't we all honor eachother and our differences and coexist peacefully and stop this madness.
We can and it is easy. We each decide what we are celebrating, when and where, and for what reasons . . . no one else! Why is this so difficult to understand.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:51 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
WWe each decide what we are celebrating, when and where, and for what reasons . . . no one else! Why is this so difficult to understand.
Because there are still many school districts that put on Christmas Concerts/Pageants that are, more often than not, extremely religious and there are many municipalities that put on Christmas parades/celebrations, usually accompanied by the tax payer supported fire truck carrying the Christian Santa.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:00 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
I sense that this post is meant as humor. I got a laugh, in any case.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:10 AM

177 posts, read 139,274 times
lol there is a war on Christmas I tell you!

Old 12-07-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I sense that this post is meant as humor. I got a laugh, in any case.
The fact that it was taken seriously by anyone shows how true Poe's law really is. Sad.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotionalintel View Post
lol there is a war on Christmas I tell you!
It's more than that :

Old 12-07-2011, 07:46 AM

87 posts, read 120,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Because there are still many school districts that put on Christmas Concerts/Pageants that are, more often than not, extremely religious and there are many municipalities that put on Christmas parades/celebrations, usually accompanied by the tax payer supported fire truck carrying the Christian Santa.
Remember that 80% of the tax payers are Christians as well

It's same as why Christian and Muslim tax payers in Israel have to pay so the Jews celebrate their holidays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality