Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you think God instituted marriage?
For companionship? (which would include sexual expression) 3 15.00%
For procreation? 2 10.00%
For economic stability in society and otherwise? 2 10.00%
all of the above? 8 40.00%
other? Please post. 4 20.00%
so Adam would have someone to argue with? 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:57 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times

Advertisements

I was reading some threads under the Politics and other controversies forum and one person's response about marriage got me to thinking about it. One view almost seemed purely "economic" to me. So... why do you primarily think God created marriage? Procreation? Economic stability? Companionship? And to make it interesting, if you are married, why do you like being married, assuming that you do?

Last edited by kaykay; 08-30-2007 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: add a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 01:10 PM

193 posts, read 1,027,877 times
Perhaps the most obvious of God's purposes for sex and marriage is for the reproduction of the human species. Notice the first statement in the Bible about God's creation of man: "So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them" (Genesis 1:27, emphasis added throughout).
Next we read: "Then God blessed them, and God said to them, 'Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it ...'" (verse 28). The statement that men and women are to reproduce is part of the blessing that God pronounces in this verse.
God essentially repeats His command in Genesis 2:24, adding another crucial thought: "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh." In speaking these words, God formally created the institutions of marriage and family. Since God created and commanded these relationships, marriage and the family are holy institutions, not mere creations of human society.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:28 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,668 times
im gonna go with #6....so Adam would have someone to argue with-lol

Old 08-30-2007, 01:30 PM

193 posts, read 1,027,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
im gonna go with #6....so Adam would have someone to argue with-lol
sounds like the answer my husband would give!!!lol

Old 08-30-2007, 01:34 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I was reading some threads under the Politics and other controversies forum and one person's response about marriage got me to thinking about it. One view almost seemed purely "economic" to me. So... why do you primarily think God created marriage? Procreation? Economic stability? Companionship? And to make it interesting, if you are married, why do you like being married, assuming that you do?
good question..so we as humans wouldnt have to walk thru life alone..so yes to all your questions, in your post.

Why do I like being married..because I can be myself, and only God could design someone that could put up with me for 12 years- so far

Old 08-30-2007, 01:35 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,105 times
Talking I almost answered #6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I think primarily God created marraige for companionship...the rest is added blessing and part of it too...but I don't think people, by and large, are meant to be alone. Didn't God create us for companionship?

Old 08-30-2007, 01:38 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I think primarily God created marraige for companionship...the rest is added blessing and part of it too...but I don't think people, by and large, are meant to be alone. Didn't God create us for companionship?
I forgot to add why I like being married. For me, a large part of it is that I have a best friend, a companion through good and bad. There have been LOTS of times when we felt like we were the only friends each other had in the world. It was so great to have this constant, this person upon whom I could and can depend, who has seen me at my worst and best and loves me through it all.

It is good to be understood.

It is good to be desired by another human.

It is good to be in love.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:45 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
Default companionship

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Hey, Jeff! We haven't "seen" you in awhile! I agree. I think for all the things I listed in the poll...except the arguing one! But I think the primary one is companionship because God did say in Genesis that "it wasn't good for the man to be alone."

Old 08-30-2007, 04:59 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,666,149 times
I chose other.

I believe God created Eve for companionship for Adam. But, I think God created marriage as a way to santify the union of man and woman joining to become one, with His blessing.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:38 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,124,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I chose other.
But, I think God created marriage as a way to santify the union of man and woman joining to become one, with His blessing.
I agree, and also that it's about more than procreation.
Just as it takes both the ying and the yang to form a complete circle, marriage complements & completes the full circle of life as well.
It's about 2 uniting as 1, which when combined with the Lord unites all 3 as 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality