Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:13 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Don't forget Rush Limbaugh and Dick Cheney.
And your form of service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:45 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,934,989 times
Mormons have always tried to fly under the radar...

It's only typical, it happens in more ways
than they want others to understand.

I use to work for a Morman company.
When I met their quota, for another pay hike.
They raised their bar taking my pay increase away.

They're not christian crusaders, but task Masters.

I will vote for Mit.
I would've voted for him the last time as well.

Just notice what trade is going on under the table.
And jumb on that gravy train...

Old 04-11-2012, 11:46 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
Dick Cheney had five or six deferments, all for different reasons. Too bad they transplanted a heart into him, he was doing so well for so long without one.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,507 times
Default George W Bush was already in the military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Many, many people got deferments during the Viet Nam War. Among them are Kareen Abdul-Jabbar, Muhammad Ali, Michael Bloomberg, George W. Bush, Richard Carpenter, Howard Dean, Bobby Fischer, Steve Forbes, Arlo Guthrie, George Hamilton, Stephen King, Joe Namath, John Stossel, Garry Trudeau, and Steve Wozniak. Getting a military deferment doesn't exactly make you a bad person. People have reasons for requesting deferments, and governments have reasons for granting them. None of these people were draft dodgers; none of them broke the law. Somebody needs to lighten up.

You don't get drafted when you are already serving as a fighter pilot. George W. flew F-102s during the war, in the National Guard, he didn't serve in theater, most didn't.

Vietnam was by far a volunteer war anyway, unlike the draftee war of WWII.

Rush Limbaugh was 4-F because of a cyst on his spine I believe. I remember the draft well very well.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:56 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
There were missionary deferments, but there were some notable Mormons in the Vietnam War as Mormonism is not pacifistic so far as I know. (The Community of Christ, then called something like "The Reorganized Church of LDS", I believe is something of a "peace church" but they're different and based in Missouri)

Vietnam War | Saints at War
Famous Mormons in the Military - See Bernard Fisher and Robert Oaks in particular
Eni Faleomavaega, United States Congress - Representative from American Samoa
Yost, Paul A., Jr. (1929- ) | U.S. Naval Institute
Yes. Perhaps, if a person is a pacifist he should serve in some other mode than actual fighting, but doing missionary work for your particular church is really a lame excuse. It should not be allowed. Legal or not, it is unethical, but judging the history of the faith, that may not be a pressing concern.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,852 times
Only a scumbag like Mitt Romney would protest in favor of the Vietnam war and the draft and then hide in France when it came time for him to serve his country in the war that he supported. Romney may have used his Mormon mission as a convenient excuse, but there are many other Mormons that did their duty and served honorably.

You can't criticize all Mormons based on the actions of a few like Mitt Romney.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:23 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Only a scumbag like Mitt Romney would protest in favor of the Vietnam war and the draft and then hide in France when it came time for him to serve his country in the war that he supported.
I find this to be one of the most disgusting things about the man.

Freakin' hypocritical coward.

And things haven't changed much - just listen to all his hawkish rhetoric, especially about Iran. He sounds like he is just itching for conflict, again at no personal risk to himself or to his own kids. And the more he sells his soul to someone like Sheldon Adelson, the more likely the possibility of going to war with Iran if he's elected.

And instead of "other people's money," it will be a case of "other people's kids."

Quote:
Romney may have used his Mormon mission as a convenient excuse, but there are many other Mormons that did their duty and served honorably.

You can't criticize all Mormons based on the actions of a few like Mitt Romney.
I agree.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:41 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad9r9r View Post
You don't get drafted when you are already serving as a fighter pilot. George W. flew F-102s during the war, in the National Guard, he didn't serve in theater, most didn't.

Vietnam was by far a volunteer war anyway, unlike the draftee war of WWII.

Rush Limbaugh was 4-F because of a cyst on his spine I believe. I remember the draft well very well.
GW (Dumbya) Bush got preferential treatment to get into the NG unit that was scheduled to go to Viet Nam after all the Boy Scouts and Grandma's Knitting Circles had been sent. (Bush family had the political power to make sure no Bush would go to Nam) Bush also was "grounded" further ensuring he would never go to war by going AWOL instead of taking his flight physical.

Cheney "had other priorities than military service"

John ******** - avoid the draft with 'teaching' deferments (Who knew that "A s h c r o f t" can't get past the CD automatic sensors)

Carl Rove - avoid the draft with a number of 'deferments'

Old 08-17-2012, 03:49 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,956,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
After the 2008 election I thought for sure that we had finally moved away from fighting the Vietnam War all over again. I guess I was wrong.
Well, we're close, at least as far as Presidential candidates go. The draft ended 39 years ago, so if you add that to 18 (years of age) + 4 years (until the next election in 2016) you get 61 years of age. Most Presidential candidates slip in under that number.

And, of course, some will have served, or will have just gotten lucky (ie, no deferrals of any sort), so it may well not come up again.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:47 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,418 times
This conversation reminds me of this song.

Creedence Clearwater Revival: Fortunate Son - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality