Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:20 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,906 times

Advertisements

Similarities can also occur without "copying". Why is it important to you to point that out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 11:33 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Similarities can also occur without "copying". Why is it important to you to point that out?
It's probably just part of the fad of discrediting Christianity that is so prevalent on this forum. Might as well be titled the "Religion, Philosophy, and Atheism" forum.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:40 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Why is it important to avoid? Someone copied someone, so what. Is that bad? It's still happening unless you think the Mormons didn't copy the idea of Jesus from anyone else, just happened on the similarity without prior knowledge. Why does it matter? Do you think Lutherans didn't copy anything from the Catholics? Added their own version, like a kid writing a school paper after reading someone else's on the same topic. It happens.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
buddism and christianity in their primative roots have much in common and may even have common origin. however christianity in its current american form has mutated as has buddism.
hedonism has crept into both, a far cry from their monastic and ascetic origins.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:52 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post

I'm not sure Buddhism really even teaches the concept of forgiveness of sins...does it? I think it's kind of a self-help, self-improvement type thing.
Perhaps, as a Buddhist, I can clarify your understanding of our philosophy.

The concept of "sin" is not a part of Buddhism. We have an ethical code of good and bad, right and wrong ... but a thing called "sin" is foreign to us.

We do not believe in "forgiveness" ... noone or nothing outside of yourself can "forgive" you. You can forgive yourself, I suppose.

Yes, Buddhism does look favorably upon "self help" ... if you are able to help yourself, that is. If not, help can come from somewhere else. If you understand The Four Noble Truths, the way to overcome "Dukkha" (imperfection, unsatisfactoriness, "suffering") is through the application of The Noble Eightfold Path.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:28 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
“All major religious traditions, although they differ in theological interpretations, carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion, tolerance, forgiveness.â€

I agree with him ... but the message has gotten distorted by "tradition" to the point where it's nearly unrecognizable.
It's not just tradition, but deliberate distortions by manipulative and power hungry "leaders".

Old 04-17-2012, 05:05 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
Yeah, maybe The Catholics will do it.
"Well first your monks need to 'minster personally' to young boys"............

Old 03-11-2014, 05:22 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
I don't believe that is true, actually. Islam teaches submission to allah...either willingly, or they will make you submit through Shariah Law. There is no love or tolerance there. I'm not sure Buddhism really even teaches the concept of forgiveness of sins...does it? I think it's kind of a self-help, self-improvement type thing.

For that matter, only Christianity teaches that you do not have to better yourself in order to make yourself worthy to the deity. Only Christianity teaches that God took the punishment to save wretched sinners in spite of the fact that they hate him.
That is because there is no such thing as sin. I have heard Sin described most accurately as "An imaginary disease for which there is an imaginary cure"

Islam's submission to Allah is on a very personal level, although many externalize that as well.
Christianity is flawed, from the concept and definitions of God to the concept of divine redemption. No one needs to clutter their minds with such garbage.

Many Christian monks maintain a very similar lifestyle to Buddhist Monks. Perhaps that is to what the Dalai Lama was referring?

I have explored both faiths, and Buddhism is hands down above and beyond anything Christianity has to offer. The goal of life, Self actualization, is attainable in Buddhism, and while it is demonstrated in the Christ Concept as well, outside of a few new age religions, the concept is absent and described as unattainable. Many Buddhists and Christians alike focus on humanitarianism and charitable works though, and this is one of the few good by-products of religions.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:58 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Well yeah there are definite similarities between the two messages, that's nothing new.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:00 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Well, they should take into account that their God followed behind the buddha.
Similarities are often seen when you've copied something. Just food for thought.
Buddhism and Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think similarities can also point to a universal truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality