Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 03:06 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times

Advertisements

exactly thefliptop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 03:17 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
People want to be judged by what they SAY their faith is.

And that's the problem. others can judge only their actions, not what they really really believe. So, I expect that when they meet the judgement desk, that basic "faith" or lack of faith will be the deciding factor.

There may be a lot of disappointed people. They may expect a Mansion, but instead, get a shanty down in a smelly swamp.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:20 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Do people want to be judged at all?

Old 04-27-2012, 08:12 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
If you look at me, you will be disappointed. I am weak. God is (very) busy at work on me.

I'd rather you look at Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith. Hebrews 12:2
That's what I would expect the generality of Christians to say. Essentially, the idea is that Christians are supposed to be good people, but where they fall short, they are Forgiven - if they have Faith.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:32 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
If you look at me, you will be disappointed. I am weak. God is (very) busy at work on me.
I see that religion has done a grand job in teaching you to be self-depreciating. How sad that it has ingrained into you that you are worthless.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
If christians were judged by their faith, what impression would they make?
If christians were judged by their behavior, what impression would they make?
How do christians want to be judged by others?
I can't speak for all Christians or all anything, but I would think we would all want to be judged more by actions than by faith. One can be a good person and show their kindness by helping others, living a decent life and being faithful to their beliefs, regardless of what their beliefs are. Having faith in God but not being a good person means absolutely nothing and yes, there are those who are so self rightgious they have no feelings for others. Often these people do not even realize how they come across to others.

Nita

Old 04-28-2012, 10:39 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
The self righteous ones who sit around and pass judgements on everyone but themselves may as well just pass by me.

Because their judgements neither impress or change me, because they have not walked in my shoes all these years.

I am what I am because of lessons learned from my past...and have finally found peace with myself and my beliefs.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:29 PM

578 posts, read 1,093,308 times
Default Well

I was told by 2 different very very conservative Christians that it's all about the faith. You must "believe ". That it doesn't matter how good a person you are if you don't believe your soul is doomed. Bunk !!! I guess I can be a self absorbed jerk but if I profess then alls good. Huh???

Old 04-29-2012, 09:48 AM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
The self righteous ones who sit around and pass judgements on everyone but themselves may as well just pass by me.
Because their judgements neither impress or change me, because they have not walked in my shoes all these years.
I am what I am because of lessons learned from my past...and have finally found peace with myself and my beliefs.
Amen, Miss Blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
I was told by 2 different very very conservative Christians that it's all about the faith. You must "believe ". That it doesn't matter how good a person you are if you don't believe your soul is doomed. Bunk !!! I guess I can be a self absorbed jerk but if I profess then alls good. Huh???
Ask yourself . . . if you were Satan and wanted to ensure that Christ's commands to "love God AND EACH OTHER" had no effect or impact on the behavior of humanity at all . . . what doctrine would you be pushing?

Old 04-29-2012, 10:42 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
I want to be judged on the basis of how closely my behavior reflected my faith. I believe that fundamental righteousness is based on adherance to what a person sincerely believes in his heart to be true. In other words, I place a high value on integrity and believe that God does, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality