Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 02:08 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
To preach? Lol, no. (does anything I've said sound even remotely like "preaching"?)

I was passing through and saw someone with a question I had an answer to, that's all.
Yes, when you answer a question with a faith-based absolute answer "from a Christian perspective", and then declare that you're not interested in debating or justifying your answer (even though you're on a forum - which is intended for discussing issues and justifying one's claims), then yes: you are preaching.

Preach, definition:
1: to deliver a sermon [sermon: A talk on a religious or moral subject]
2: to urge acceptance or abandonment of an idea or course of action; specifically: to exhort in an officious or tiresome manner

Just connect the bold-faced features of the definition.

This is an online forum - running into a forum, stating an absolute with no justification or desire to debate it, is not participating in a forum. One usually gives an answer, then offers evidence to back it up. Thus - the Philosophical nature of this particular forum.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:09 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I am not a religious man. But I must come to LOVESMOUNTAINS defense. She and I have been bantering back and forth for several years on many subjects and she doesnt "preach" to anyone. She gives intelligent,thought out answers. I dont share her religiosity. But she certainly has a right to answer a question on a PUBLIC FORUM without being ridiculed. Thanks.
With the exception of one minor problem with your defense of LM. Her responses are not intelligent, or thought out, they are but the same rubbish she has been taught and can easily regurgitate.

And she is preachy, just not to the point that it is obvious, or could be called proselytizing.

She makes her views known, then states it is not for debate, that's preaching, then plays the "I'm sad for you" card telling me that there is something wrong with me.

Perhaps she should be sad for the millions of children her god is allowing to suffer an starve at this moment.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:16 PM

41 posts, read 90,079 times
Seriously?
It's 2012 you know.

Enough said.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I am not a religious man. But I must come to LOVESMOUNTAINS defense. She and I have been bantering back and forth for several years on many subjects and she doesnt "preach" to anyone. She gives intelligent,thought out answers. I dont share her religiosity. But she certainly has a right to answer a question on a PUBLIC FORUM without being ridiculed. Thanks.
And your point is a great one - I have the right to answer an OP's question without being ridiculed.

I gave the OP an answer I hoped would be helpful or at least interesting to him.

My answer is based on my faith and understanding of God and the Bible.

Anyone is free to disagree or share other opinions on the question the OP posed as far as I am concerned.

I was only trying to be helpful.

I appreciate you getting that

Old 06-08-2012, 02:54 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
And your point is a great one - I have the right to answer an OP's question without being ridiculed.

I gave the OP an answer I hoped would be helpful or at least interesting to him.

Anyone is free to disagree or share other opinions on the question the OP posed as far as I am concerned.

I understand your point of view, and I certainly hope you do not think of any of my questions as ridicule. They certainly are not intended as such.

However, to be fair, there are still several questions about your statements that have gone unanswered.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:59 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:

Which is all the OP was asking.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:00 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
This thread is closed..

Just a note that this is the RELIGION/Philosophy forum not necessarily a Scientific forum where everything has to be proven. Religions are beliefs, Science is facts.

The question for discussion in the op was this:

"So my question is what does God say about Dinosaurs."

Nowhere does he ask for a Scientific explanation and certainly not for the personal attacking and rude posts in this thread..

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-08-2012 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality