Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that there is no god?
Yes 43 74.14%
No 11 18.97%
I don't know what I believe. 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:05 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
No, but you and others have. There is probably several documents/records and photos proving his existence. The same cannot be said about god.

What he is saying though, is that there is still plenty that we do not know. I've mentioned this before and someone blew it out of the water, but, thousands of years ago we did not know about, atoms, quarks, electrons, whatever you wish to use as an example. But they did exist, we did not have proof obviously. We are currently limited by our own knowledge, which we think is advanced, but all we can compare our knowledge to is humans, animals, and that is really all we know.

There is still TONS of stuff we don't know about in terms of what is out there. With todays advance science, methods, Hadron Collider, we only know about 5% of EVERYTHING.

It does seem sort of far fetched, but maybe there is a creator out there, and we're living in some big experiment that we can't comprehend, due to limited knowledge, like test rats living in a created environment. Crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 11:06 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,604,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And Harry Potter is a record of several encounters with Voldemort.
Neither is evidence that such actually happened.
What is with your obsession of harry potter?

The author of harry potter says it is fiction. Bad example.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:38 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There is no possible way to prove that an imaginary being exists...The burden of evidence is in the hands of the one making the claim that a god exists...That should be easy, as legend has it that god is all powerful, and could prove his existence at any time if it so desires.
To me it is the way you word it that makes it interesting to discuss. To you "imaginary" makes it difficult to open your mind to examine any claims in support of the existence of a superior force existence.

From my standpoint I will say that you also may have "imaginary" views by no accepting a view. In other words, by not accepting a superior intelligent force to be the cause of the existence of the universe you accept something else by default. Just as theist claims are not 100% proved with videotapes or actual witnesses, the same with you.

As far as the burden of proof comment. To me it is a very popular cop out. If you make any type of CLAIM, then back it up. I understand that in our legal system the burden of proof lies with the want making an accusation. I tend to believe that this have a big influence on the "You prove it" comment. However, I do not see anything wrong with explaining why you may not think god exists. When you make a comment about an "imaginar being" exist, you made a claim, prove it then.

I will also address a mental block I often see in many atheists. There are those that tend to think of the God in the Bible, I am not making such claim. I simply read and come with my conclusions not based on the Bible at all.

Also, if you make a claim that you do not agree or believe with someone believing in the existence of god, to me by default you made a claim that god does not exists.

I understand that in our legal system the burden of proof lies on the one making a claim. To me this influences people to say "you prove it" and I sit down and do nothing. Well, nothing wrong with you supporting your claim that god does not exist.

What I find somewhat funny is that someone may be discussing about god and here comes an atheist and simply give condescening comments with no real contribution to the subject in discussion.
In your case, if you do not think you need to prove anything, why even waste your time replying here if you have no intent of contributing? What is the intent?
The OP wants to know so why not clearly state what you consider your supporting evidence that a superior intelligent force does not exist?

I would be interested in seeing what reason, logic, and statistical probabilities may support your claim. Take care.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post

I would be interested in seeing what reason, logic, and statistical probabilities may support your claim. Take care.
I am interested as well. Atheists try to champion what they call "reason" and "logic", but it usually comes off as ad hom attacks and side stepping the question at hand, as is evident in this thread.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:19 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
What is with your obsession of harry potter?

The author of harry potter says it is fiction. Bad example.
Then the author of Harry Potter is honest, unlike those the profess that a book derived from the folklore of goat herders is the word of some god, it ain't. It documents some events that occurred, often embellished greatly, but most fears and ignorance.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Then the author of Harry Potter is honest, unlike those the profess that a book derived from the folklore of goat herders is the word of some god, it ain't. It documents some events that occurred, often embellished greatly, but most fears and ignorance.
If you knew anything about oral tradition, then you would know that those "goat herders" would be killed if they lied. Try to stay on topic please. If you don't know if a god exists, then just say it. Don't try to change the subject.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:24 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
To me it is the way you word it that makes it interesting to discuss. To you "imaginary" makes it difficult to open your mind to examine any claims in support of the existence of a superior force existence.

From my standpoint I will say that you also may have "imaginary" views by no accepting a view. In other words, by not accepting a superior intelligent force to be the cause of the existence of the universe you accept something else by default. Just as theist claims are not 100% proved with videotapes or actual witnesses, the same with you.

As far as the burden of proof comment. To me it is a very popular cop out. If you make any type of CLAIM, then back it up. I understand that in our legal system the burden of proof lies with the want making an accusation. I tend to believe that this have a big influence on the "You prove it" comment. However, I do not see anything wrong with explaining why you may not think god exists. When you make a comment about an "imaginar being" exist, you made a claim, prove it then.

I will also address a mental block I often see in many atheists. There are those that tend to think of the God in the Bible, I am not making such claim. I simply read and come with my conclusions not based on the Bible at all.

Also, if you make a claim that you do not agree or believe with someone believing in the existence of god, to me by default you made a claim that god does not exists.

I understand that in our legal system the burden of proof lies on the one making a claim. To me this influences people to say "you prove it" and I sit down and do nothing. Well, nothing wrong with you supporting your claim that god does not exist.

What I find somewhat funny is that someone may be discussing about god and here comes an atheist and simply give condescening comments with no real contribution to the subject in discussion.
In your case, if you do not think you need to prove anything, why even waste your time replying here if you have no intent of contributing? What is the intent?
The OP wants to know so why not clearly state what you consider your supporting evidence that a superior intelligent force does not exist?

I made no claims at all except that I lack belief in gods, so I have no idea what you are ranting on about, and I have more than once said that there is NO evidence that any gods exist, any more than there is evidence that Bigfoot exists...My mind is open...Capture a Bigfoot, and I will believe they do....The same with gods....Show me one and I'll believe.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:35 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distraff View Post
The bible is a record of several encounters with God.
And the Lord Of The Rings is a record of several encounters with Gandalf the Grey. Does not mean either of them actually happened.

Edit: kb0714 beat me to it I see. Sorry.

Point is clear though: Just because a book is about something, that does not automatically mean the things in the book actually happened.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:44 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
I am interested as well. Atheists try to champion what they call "reason" and "logic", but it usually comes off as ad hom attacks and side stepping the question at hand, as is evident in this thread.
The only people sidestepping here are not the atheists...We have honestly answered your poll...Not one of us has claimed that we have knowledge that a god doesn't exist, but apparently you are too thick to understand the difference between disbelief and knowledge... How about making a contribution to your own thread....Do you know that a deity exists, or just believe it does?

Old 07-07-2012, 04:13 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I made no claims at all except that I lack belief in gods, so I have no idea what you are ranting on about, and I have more than once said that there is NO evidence that any gods exist, any more than there is evidence that Bigfoot exists...My mind is open...Capture a Bigfoot, and I will believe they do....The same with gods....Show me one and I'll believe.
Good, you made a claim that you do not believe in gods. Am I correct if I interpret that as you do not think there are gods*?

Second, here is where I notice how people show their emotional reaction when something is said or written that does not go in line with their views, ranting? Ranting is define as "to talk loudly and widely as defined in a dictionary". Another "To scold violently". Wow! are you sensitive or what?

Third, the OP ask if you believe there is no god? That is the subject of the OP. So you do not believe in a god, great. Then what is the basis of your claim. Can you prove that a god does not exist?

You want to take a stance of "I do not have to prove", OK, sit down and then why even contribute with any type of comment than neither prove or disprove the point. To me the OP simply want to see why others do not believe in god.

You claim is that you "lack belief in gods". What logic do you have that there is no probability of a higher intellectual mind that may be the originator of the existing universe? Take care.

*I refer to gods in a non religious way. Not so much because I pray or am thinking about what force thinks or wants from me. Because I believe it is probable that a designer exists does not mean I worship him/her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality