Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,231,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
And Spirituality?

I thought I accidently clicked on the atheist section.

Seems most of the posters here are atheists and half of the threads bash religion or mock those who believe in spiritual things.

Must be the time of year. Or the impending End-Of-The-World
You're not imagining things. Many of the posters here are not simply atheists, but have made it a personal mission to ridicule and mock believers. "In the last days there will come mockers..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 11:39 PM

19,253 posts, read 16,769,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
It's a forum to talk about religion, not a forum FOR religion.
I get it So, it's okay to talk about religion but only in the abstract. No talk about personal beliefs? Is that correct?

Old 12-19-2012, 11:40 PM

588 posts, read 797,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You're not imagining things. Many of the posters here are not simply atheists, but have made it a personal mission to ridicule and mock believers. "In the last days there will come mockers..."
The religion that you try to espouse often teaches that non-Christians like me will rightfully be tortured forever. At least atheists are not telling you that you deserved to be tortured forever, which is probably the worst thing to say to someone.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:42 PM

588 posts, read 797,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I get it So, it's okay to talk about religion but only in the abstract. No talk about personal beliefs? Is that correct?
Many posters here talk about their personal beliefs. I don't recall anyone saying that it isn't ok.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:44 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,861,692 times
Quote:

You can talk about personal beliefs all you like. Just don't be surprised when people talk back.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
Many posters here talk about their personal beliefs. I don't recall anyone saying that it isn't ok.
Not according to some
Quote:
It's a forum to talk about religion, not a forum FOR religion.
And please notice the capital "FOR."

Old 12-19-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
You can talk about personal beliefs all you like. Just don't be surprised when people talk back.
I would never be surprised, JJCat. I just don't see how non-believers would ridicule what another person believes ... just as I don't understand why those who don't believe would be ridiculed, as well. Isn't that why they call it a "personal belief?"

And if, as you say, it's a forum to talk about religion but not FOR religion," wouldn't that narrow the threads down to one or two instead of the hundreds in the section?

Old 12-19-2012, 11:56 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,710,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Have you ever heard this prophetic statement...."In the first days there will be mockers"? When the first dude said there was a god running things, there was probably another dude saying, "prove it".

Old 12-20-2012, 12:06 AM

Exactly! From the beginning of time and it continues today ... except now the divisiveness reaches a bigger audience, thanks to the "net."

Old 12-20-2012, 12:14 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,861,692 times
Quote:
I would never be surprised, JJCat. I just don't see how non-believers would ridicule what another person believes ... just as I don't understand why those who don't believe would be ridiculed, as well. Isn't that why they call it a "personal belief?"

And if, as you say, it's a forum to talk about religion but not FOR religion," wouldn't that narrow the threads down to one or two instead of the hundreds in the section?

Talking about personal beliefs is talking about religion. How is it not? Just like the parenting forum is to talk about parenting issues, but not FOR parents. A non-parent is free to talk about the noisy kids on their last flight and how today's parents are doing a bad job, etc., etc. And all the parents are free to tell them they don't know what they're talking about, they're doing the best they can, you try it, etc. etc. That doesn't mean parents can't talk about their own personal parenting stories, it just means they don't get to act bewildered when a non-parent gives their input.

Atheists talk here because Christian beliefs affect our lives. This is now the fourth time I seen this question (Why oh why do atheists care? We're not bothering them!) brought up in a very short time. It's simply disingenuous to pretend that Christianity occurs in a vacuum.

Moreover, Christianity is part of our history. Of our nation, and for many of us, our childhoods. We're not untouched. It is a subject of interest because for some of us, it blocks marriage. For some of us, it taught us to fear. For some of us, it taught us women should be silent. For some of us, it contributes to the denial of birth control or restricts reproductive freedom. And yet you wonder why we're interested?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality