Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 01:49 PM

3,487 posts, read 4,574,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Usually, atheists do not come on here and ridicule what people believe. They ridicule the logical thought process that leads them to what they believe, and that leads from what they believe to their social behavior, which affect all of us.
Even if it is this is the case of addressing the process that leads them into it, why ridicule? To feel superior? to prove them wrong? What is the real intent? I have been around a while and I have seen enough to see when someone is being sarcastic or arrogant and when someone is truly wanting to see why people believe that way.
You were honest enough that it is to ridicule other views. A synomin of ridicule is laughable. Example:
Two theists may be discussing the Bible about let us say "hell". They are exchanging Bible verses and out of nowhere an atheist may comment "It is amazing how people believe in such idiotic belief". Is it that important to meddle in a discussion in a belief two people have? If so, why not say why he may not think the belief in hell is not rational. I do not believe in the Bible but I have expressed why I do not think the Bible supports such belief and I do think it is irrational but not laugh at them.
I think you are either in denial or do not have the fortitude to admit that there are atheist that rude.
Now, you are trying to link their social behavior which affect all of us. OK, it does. Your beliefs affect your behavior and to all of us in some form. OK, we have a wide variety of beliefs and behaviors, that is such a view called the Social Contract where as a society we enact laws to as best a possible we can live together despite our differences.
Also,your comment makes you no different than the theist many atheists accuse of, trying to push their views on other. In this case by being sarcastic as I have seen or as you said, to ridicule.

Quote:
Every thread in every forum will have posters who critique the foundation upon which other posters assert their beliefs in some issue or another. Only in the religion form is it regularly asserted that something is true "because I learned it from picture books in Sunday school", without any other source of authority, and accordingly, it is above any rational challenge.
So this is the case. So what? What is it to you? It is their forum! Look at the title "Religion and Spirituality". Wow! Do I need to explain why are they discussing all the thing you consider illogical? If you go to a GOP club, do you think they will be discussing how great the Democrats are? Would you go into their club and ridicule their views? I would like to see that and see where you would end up. Oh! how about you going into a church and ridicule their events? I think there is such a thing as simple respect WITH common sense. This is their forum. To me I respect them in their territory so to speak. You think it is OK to ridicule them? Go for it, not my cup of tea. I just point that out. Take care.

Last edited by elamigo; 12-20-2012 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 02:08 PM

19,358 posts, read 16,911,476 times
Quote:
Only in the religion form is it regularly asserted that something is true "because I learned it from picture books in Sunday school", without any other source of authority, and accordingly, it is above any rational challenge.
Really? People comment that their belief comes from what they learned in picture books in Sunday school? I can't help think anyone who posts a comment like that has to be kidding around with others.

No offense but it's the comments like this one: "it is above any rational challenge," that draw the ire from people of faith. Why are they labeled irrational? Who's to say what's rational? Considering there is no hard scientific evidence of God's existence, to say someone who believes is not rational, is exactly what divides us. The lack of respect goes in both directions.

We all work so hard at being politically correct these days. We have cut words from our vocabulary because they are offensive to various groups - and rightfully so. Derogatory words or labels to describe anyone shouldn't be said but it still goes on when it comes to believers. I don't think it will change any time soon. It would just be nice to have respectful discussions without telling someone they aren't rational, simply because they don't hold the same opinion as someone else.

Last edited by JGC97; 12-20-2012 at 02:19 PM..

Old 12-20-2012, 04:07 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,713,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
If a christian in the "Religion and Spirituality" says those words, it is their belief however philosophically may be to me. So what if they say so. So there is not atheistic similar angle? BUT, I think that atheists may not make the type of comment but the closest is what I already referred to by making put down comments when to me it is uncalled for.

All I can say is "Ignore them!" It works for me. Let me clarify. If I come to this forum and I read those type of words, it is their forum and I respect that. If they tell me directly to get into a fight, of course they will get a response. If they tell me that I will burn in hell and tell me why. I just read and listen as to why they believe that way and I will give them my response in the same maner why I do not think so, easy.

OK, address it if it means so much to me. My angle is when attack others for the sake of demeaning others for believing the way they do. If you are doing it becuase it gets to you, all I can say get a thicker skin if they simply are expressing their views with no ill intent. Even if that was the case, this is their forum and I will respect their comments even when I think they are idiotic, arrogant, etc. I actually may chuckle when they do that. They may not realize how unchristian like they act when they act as if they are so special.

You closing comment seems to tell me why you think it is OK to respond back. You have bottled up anymosity but all I can tell you it is good to learn to not let our emotions get the best of us as much as we can. Take care.
You're a better man than I. Take care

Old 12-21-2012, 10:03 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,347,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post

So this is the case. So what? What is it to you? It is their forum! Look at the title "Religion and Spirituality". Wow! Do I need to explain why are they discussing all the thing you consider illogical? If you go to a GOP club, do you think they will be discussing how great the Democrats are? Would you go into their club and ridicule their views? I would like to see that and see where you would end up. Oh! how about you going into a church and ridicule their events? I think there is such a thing as simple respect WITH common sense. This is their forum. To me I respect them in their territory so to speak. You think it is OK to ridicule them? Go for it, not my cup of tea. I just point that out. Take care.
There is a "Christianity" subforum, which corresponds with your "GOP Club". The "Religion" forum encompasses all faiths and theisms, as well as questioning the very concepts. I can go into a "Political" club, and challenge either the Republicans or the Democrats to defend the logic through which they have arrived at their dogma, or even propose alternative political thought, or question politicization in general.

This forum is not a church. It is not "their forum".

Old 12-21-2012, 04:51 PM

3,487 posts, read 4,574,414 times
Quote:
There is a "Christianity" subforum, which corresponds with your "GOP Club".
My "GOP Club". LOL!!!! Here is where people start getting personnal. You comment is condescending. Who told you I am republican? The comment is irrelavant, has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Quote:
The "Religion" forum encompasses all faiths and theisms, as well as questioning the very concepts. I can go into a "Political" club, and challenge either the Republicans or the Democrats to defend the logic through which they have arrived at their dogma, or even propose alternative political thought, or question politicization in general.
Agreed, this comment has nothing to do with the points made on the OP, irrelvant. Can you quote me saying you can't be in this forum? Please do so so I can take back my claims.

Quote:
This forum is not a church. It is not "their forum".
Did I say it is a church? No. You need to read more closely and see what is the topic.

I can only suggest you may want to ask the reader that said I was a better man then he was. I do not think I am but I appreciate his comment. He did not allow his emotions to get the best of him nor did he take my observations personally. Perhaps you want to ask him what I meant with my message, seems he is a good reader and got my point. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality