Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:59 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,462,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
imho, not because you are an atheist it doesn't mean that you don't have a soul or the consciousness that comes with it, just because you don't believe on it doesn't means that yours vanishes.

and it is this soul or higher self, God's image speaks to you and convinces you to do good, opposed to ego or lower self who just wants to do things that are on their own benefit, there are atheists with strong souls and religious people with strong egos, that's what inclines you to do evil or good imho.
I will give you the first part, I think that there is something innate in human beings that wants us to do good. I think after that is where we differ. I don't think that it has anything to do with God and I don't call it a soul. I think the real main argument between the religious and the non-religious (atheist in this case) is that we both agree that there is something that drives us to behave in a moral way, but what it is and where it came from seems to be the grey area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 10:37 AM

49 posts, read 92,521 times
I have read this thread with great interest. In a nutshell, I strongly believe that people who are inspired to do good things come from all walks of life. Those that are christian or any other religion may attribute their good deeds to being inspired by their God. Those who are not religious (such as myself) can and may attribute their good deeds to a variety of other inspirations, such as the beauty of nature, wildlife, art, music, etc. etc. Something touches an individual, be it a starving puppy with sad eyes, a mal nourished child, an elderly person who can't fend for themselves, and/or a variety of other situations. Each person who does something good for others, this world, or planet, justifies their good deeds based on their own views of how they see things that need to be taken care of. Religion and God (IMHO) has no bearing (one way or another) on the proportion of people who do (or don't do) good. And I also wonder about the 90% of those in prison who believe in a higher being, as GSTroop stated, makes one think...... (excellent observation!)....Thanks for listening

Old 10-27-2007, 10:54 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Because it's the right thing to do.

Personally I find it offensive that anyone would think that I'm not an honest, trustworthy, generous person because I'm not religious. That's not a very Christian attitude.
If a person is not active in a religion, and professes no religious belief; then I do not see where that would give you any basis to determine anything about their honesty, trustworthiness, or generosity.

I also do not see where any of that has any connection to being 'Christian'.

???

Old 10-27-2007, 11:11 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
There's nothing mysterious about "good" actions/behavior.

Contrary to what Travelling fella implied, good behavior is a product of the ego. Being social creatures, good behavior is necessary for self-preservation.

Our tendancy to form groups is also because of our social nature. This is where altruism originates. All social species exhibit altruism in varying degrees. A most illustrative example would be a colony of bees, where the individuals instinctively sacrifice their lives to preserve the hive.

The forming of clans, the rise of human society, the self-preservation instinct and the group-preservation instinct are all well understood by antropologists and biologists. These phenomena can be explained by said disciplines, without the need to refer to the supernatural.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:26 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,462,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
If a person is not active in a religion, and professes no religious belief; then I do not see where that would give you any basis to determine anything about their honesty, trustworthiness, or generosity.

I also do not see where any of that has any connection to being 'Christian'.

???
Hmmmm.... some of us just aren't that shallow I suppose? Ever think that perhaps we just want to do something good other than the subliminally intent purpose of trying to make an invisible man in the sky happy?

Old 10-27-2007, 09:33 PM

640 posts, read 461,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
But to provide one debating point, the richest & most GENEROUS man in the world is what? Yup, an Atheist. Bill Gates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You do understand that there are exceptions to every rule? Gates is one of them. While he may be doing some good things (but I think it's limited when compared to his vast wealth) the numbers still show that atheists are less likely to "do good".

Old 10-27-2007, 09:45 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
You do understand that there are exceptions to every rule? Gates is one of them. While he may be doing some good things (but I think it's limited when compared to his vast wealth) the numbers still show that atheists are less likely to "do good".
What "numbers" are you referring to?

Old 10-27-2007, 10:55 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,241,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (BP)--Is it necessary to believe in God in order to have solid personal values? A new survey seems to answer that question with a "yes."

Baptist Press - Poll: Atheists less likely to 'do good' - News with a Christian Perspective

Yeah the baptists do so much good telling everyone that god hates them and we are all going to rot and burn in hell and suffer for eternity.

the baptist church spreads the biggest bunch of fear mongering, fire and brimstone.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:16 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
What "numbers" are you referring to?
Yeah, I'd like to hear the answer to that too...

Old 10-28-2007, 02:32 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,817,573 times
Here's some interesting numbers.

Atheist doctors more likely to care for the poor than religious ones | Press Esc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality