Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:49 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
So, you not only reject the message, but you also don't even listen to the message, because you don't like the messenger?

Perhaps you'd prefer this article. It gives the same information, but it even has the atheist response.
Athiests put less value on love than believers: study

Or you can go directly to the press release from the University of Lethbridge:
http://www.reginaldbibby.com/images/...OD_OCT0807.pdf

To check out the pollster, look at his web page and associated links. He appears to have pretty impressive credentials:
Research of Reginald W. Bibby

While Bill Gates may be the richest man in the world, I wouldn't go so far as to say he's the most generous. He may give more $$$, but can someone who can afford to give more be more commended than someone who can afford little but still gives generously (sometimes giving all he has)?
Reginald Bibby has a degree from here Southern Baptist Theological Seminary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia That make his poll biased in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 07:52 PM

5 posts, read 5,410 times
Anybody who survives an illness can say "I was saved by God". Thats just too easy. You only hear this from people who actually survived, the ones who died cannot go to the church to tell their testimonial.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:00 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I'm not too concerned with the poll numbers. Something I don't like about these polls is how they are conducted. I did not see anything on the site about how the study was conducted but even if the numbers are genuinely accurate, I'm not really concerned about it, over 90% of our prison population believes in God, I think that's probably a better example of morality or lack thereof.
I agree with this. Polls are all well and good, but reality is reality. It doesn't depend upon a poll. I'm not dissing polls because generally, I really like them. I think it's fun and interesting to stack different ideas, groups, etc. side by side to see how trends go. But as far as "doing good," it seems to me this poll is more about deciding who should do good based on various beliefs. Feeling like one wants to behave, and then actually behaving, are two different things. As GCS has pointed out here, a HUGE number of people who rate "generosity and compassion," etc., as very important are in jail today.

I think this poll is more about ideals and less about the likelihood of following them through.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:05 PM

5 posts, read 5,410 times
Quote:
Every city has a major atheist hospital, right? Don't they? Or a food bank run by atheists? Homeless shelter? Charity of some sort?

Well, are you saying that to make a charity, you need to be religious? What about American Red Cross, Civil Liberties Union, Amnesty International, United Nations Children's Fund. They, like thousands of others charities, businesses and people (outnumbering religious charities) are NOT PROMOTING supernatural beings, are not being influenced by any "higher power", and at the same time donate billions to charity.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:22 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,017,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (BP)--Is it necessary to believe in God in order to have solid personal values? A new survey seems to answer that question with a "yes."

Baptist Press - Poll: Atheists less likely to 'do good' - News with a Christian Perspective
The poll was biased so the truth of the information is suspect. 82% of the respondents said they believed in God or a higher power. This doesn't prove that someone needs a belief in a higher power to be moral or have solid personal values. The methods that Bibby used to conduct the survey are suspect given the fact the majority of people are religious.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:33 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,351,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (BP)--Is it necessary to believe in God in order to have solid personal values? A new survey seems to answer that question with a "yes."

Baptist Press - Poll: Atheists less likely to 'do good' - News with a Christian Perspective
I'm an atheist and I dedicate myself to helping others all the time. I am a long-time volunteer with underprivledged kids at an urban rec center and I don't believe in god. "Doing good" in that survey includes donating to churches...which religious people do even at the expense of their own families. I dated a girl who sometimes had to eat roadkill because her mother gave $100 a week to the church, even if they had no money.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:37 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,351,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi4signs View Post
Anybody who survives an illness can say "I was saved by God". Thats just too easy. You only hear this from people who actually survived, the ones who died cannot go to the church to tell their testimonial.
Yeah, it's funny how they were saved by god, yet the medicine, doctors, nurses and scientists who contributed get no credit. The only other "proof of god" that bothers me more is the "I saw the sun rise and the beauty convinced me that god is here for us" that people love to spew.

If god saved you, why didn't God save the millions who died while you were being "saved"? If Jesus helped your team win the Super Bowl, why didn't he help the thousands of others who prayed for the other team to win?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality