Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:01 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,668 times

Advertisements

IMHO...why should anyone really want to take the time and spend the money on a poll like that? arent there other things in the world to worry about..other than what atheist do..or in this case..(allegedly) dont do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 07:03 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
IMHO...why should anyone really want to take the time and spend the money on a poll like that? arent there other things in the world to worry about..other than what atheist do..or in this case..(allegedly) dont do?
Exaaaactly... competing about who gives more is petty, useless, and kinda defeats the purpose - dont'cha think? Judaism teaches to give out of obligation to G-d (tzedakah), but to boast about it would definitely not be cool with Him.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:07 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Atheists do good things because they want to.

Non-atheists often do good things because they are afraid that if they don't, they will go to hell. The fear of eternal punishment is a potent factor.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:08 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Exaaaactly... competing about who gives more is petty, useless, and kinda defeats the purpose - dont'cha think? Judaism teaches to give out of obligation to G-d (tzedakah), but to boast about it would definitely not be cool with Him.
thats what I think

Old 10-25-2007, 08:21 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,369,447 times
Every city has a major atheist hospital, right? Don't they? Or a food bank run by atheists? Homeless shelter? Charity of some sort?

Old 10-25-2007, 08:22 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I'm not too concerned with the poll numbers. Something I don't like about these polls is how they are conducted. I did not see anything on the site about how the study was conducted but even if the numbers are genuinely accurate, I'm not really concerned about it, over 90% of our prison population believes in God, I think that's probably a better example of morality or lack thereof.
Ya know, that's an interesting point, GCSTroop. I don't know, and I'm honestly curious, wonder if there's any records on when these prisoners began to believe in God, prior to or shortly after their incarceration.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the percentage of prisoners that believe in God is pretty close to the same percentage of the general population as well, if my memory ain't failin' me today!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:40 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Every city has a major atheist hospital, right? Don't they? Or a food bank run by atheists? Homeless shelter? Charity of some sort?
LOL. Yes, a self identified atheist hospital, food bank, homeless shelter would be extremely popular. There are plenty of secular charities, nonreligous- but they don't specifically state they are atheist. Do you have any idea that numerous atheists attend church, go through the motions, and volunteer time on behalf of religious organizations, but do not believe in god? Even Mother Teresa, of all people, committed her life to charity, yet it is fairly apparent she was an atheist. Think of the number of atheist doctors working at "St." So and So hospital. The fact that most hospitals have "Saint" in their name is more of a historical anamoly than anything else- and the name does not make them a religious organization. Atheists are villified and arguably the most hated group in America, and you are suprised that they do not spend time professing their lack of belief when they engage in charity?

Old 10-25-2007, 08:45 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
LOL. Yes, a self identified atheist hospital, food bank, homeless shelter would be extremely popular. There are plenty of secular charities, nonreligous- but they don't specifically state they are atheist. Do you have any idea that numerous atheists attend church, go through the motions, and volunteer time on behalf of religious organizations, but do not believe in god? Even Mother Teresa, of all people, committed her life to charity, yet it is fairly apparent she was an atheist. Think of the number of atheist doctors working at "St." So and So hospital. The fact that most hospitals have "Saint" in their name is more of a historical anamoly than anything else- and the name does not make them a religious organization. Atheists are villified and arguably the most hated group in America, and you are suprised that they do not spend time professing their lack of belief when they engage in charity?
I did know that many atheists attend church. I'm fairly confident many atheists even call themselves Christians.

I did not know that Mother Teresa would have fallen into either of those categories.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:48 AM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
While Christians gathered on the national day of prayer to talk to a god that may or may not exist, this is what atheists were doing (me included):
Atheist Volunteers
Well good for you!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't prayer been shown to actually have a positive scientific effect?

Old 10-25-2007, 08:54 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,369,447 times
It is nice to see atheists doing God's work even if they don't acknowledge it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality