Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:00 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (BP)--Is it necessary to believe in God in order to have solid personal values? A new survey seems to answer that question with a "yes."

Baptist Press - Poll: Atheists less likely to 'do good' - News with a Christian Perspective
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 10:23 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,072,460 times
I was going to provide a nice balance ripping the poll since Bibby constrained the questions with "Very Important"..

then I found this article that provides all the balance one would need in discussing this topic:

Dan Gardner • Atheists aren't a bad lot

Old 10-24-2007, 10:29 PM

443 posts, read 1,541,936 times
While Christians gathered on the national day of prayer to talk to a god that may or may not exist, this is what atheists were doing (me included):
Atheist Volunteers

Old 10-25-2007, 02:42 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
All I can see is "Baptist Press," and the rest is a moot point. No offense to any Baptists here, but c'mon... we can't seriously consider them an "un-biased" source, LOL.

But to provide one debating point, the richest & most GENEROUS man in the world is what? Yup, an Atheist. Bill Gates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-25-2007, 04:24 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
All I can see is "Baptist Press," and the rest is a moot point. No offense to any Baptists here, but c'mon... we can't seriously consider them an "un-biased" source, LOL.
So, you not only reject the message, but you also don't even listen to the message, because you don't like the messenger?

Perhaps you'd prefer this article. It gives the same information, but it even has the atheist response.
Athiests put less value on love than believers: study

Or you can go directly to the press release from the University of Lethbridge:
http://www.reginaldbibby.com/images/...OD_OCT0807.pdf

To check out the pollster, look at his web page and associated links. He appears to have pretty impressive credentials:
Research of Reginald W. Bibby

Quote:
But to provide one debating point, the richest & most GENEROUS man in the world is what? Yup, an Atheist. Bill Gates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
While Bill Gates may be the richest man in the world, I wouldn't go so far as to say he's the most generous. He may give more $$$, but can someone who can afford to give more be more commended than someone who can afford little but still gives generously (sometimes giving all he has)?

Old 10-25-2007, 05:59 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
I'm not too concerned with the poll numbers. Something I don't like about these polls is how they are conducted. I did not see anything on the site about how the study was conducted but even if the numbers are genuinely accurate, I'm not really concerned about it, over 90% of our prison population believes in God, I think that's probably a better example of morality or lack thereof.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:45 AM

Bibby posed the question with two words in it: "Very Important". Those two words alone are going to skew the data. Bibby received a degree from the Southern Baptist Seminary I believe. I don't doubt the results, I just doubt the manner in which the results were gathered. Also, the Baptist Press was just reprinting the story. I'd suggest reading the link I posted above to get a complete picture.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:49 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
So, you not only reject the message, but you also don't even listen to the message, because you don't like the messenger?
Yup! I'm sorry, but my training as a reference librarian causes me to ignore unreliable sources, LOL... that doesn't mean I reject the information, I am simply rejecting the source of it. If I conducted my own research and came to same conclusion, I'd have no problem admitting the facts - but honestly, I don't feel like taking the time to do that right now. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's just how I feel. And btw, it has nothing to do with the fact that it's Baptist... I'd say the same if you provided a Jewish source, which was offering statistics on how Gentiles are less generous.

Quote:
While Bill Gates may be the richest man in the world, I wouldn't go so far as to say he's the most generous. He may give more $$$, but can someone who can afford to give more be more commended than someone who can afford little but still gives generously (sometimes giving all he has)?
Obviously he has the means to give more, but he's not under any obligations... and the percentage he gives is impressive, even when you consider how much he has. Bill & Melissa Gates have given SO much to educational and social programs, which means a lot to me personally.

That being said, of course it doesn't matter what amount you give... I don't think anyone here can give $125 Million to a charity, but even a dollar, old clothing/items, food, or a few hours of work mean so much.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-25-2007 at 07:05 AM..

Old 10-25-2007, 06:51 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,393,503 times
Don't know anything about how the poll was conducted, so I can't comment on whether it was done appropriately.
But all it shows is how people view certain values- not how they actually act. Compare Sweden's criminal statistics to the US's and the rate of religiousness between the two countries and I think it definitely hurts the general premise that somehow being less religious leads to an end to one's moral compass.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post

Perhaps you'd prefer this article. It gives the same information, but it even has the atheist response.
Athiests put less value on love than believers: study

Or you can go directly to the press release from the University of Lethbridge:
http://www.reginaldbibby.com/images/...OD_OCT0807.pdf

To check out the pollster, look at his web page and associated links. He appears to have pretty impressive credentials:
Research of Reginald W. Bibby

Well I'd say giving away approximately 37% of your money.. its a big deal considering that is about $28 Billion dollars. And that was an article from 2004.

Bill Grows Up - Forbes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality