Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 02:57 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,238,697 times

Advertisements

I Think you have just proved my point. (BTW I ran Tentmaker forums for 3 years as admin so I do know all the strains of UR)

Your post shows that you still have to buy into all the rest of the BS like OS and most of the rest of the stories in the bible. The main reason why the UR reason away an infinite punishment is b/c they may have unbelieving family or perhaps wrong denomination that puts them in their imaginary hell.

What you are alluding to is the LoF which is not the same as hell as hell is cast into it (or is it?) You see, the UR theologians have merely created another sect that is more palatable.

I did not stop digging once I knew hell = sheol, hades, gehenna, tartarus. It was OK if this is wrong, what else is wrong. Then I discovered over a 5 year study it is all BS, ALL OF IT!

The hardest thing to deal with is cognitive dissonance (no an insult, look it up) Rationalising imaginary hell away with an all loving imaginary god is necessary as you cannot buy into god is love but......

You do not think that many have tried this and led to many different denominations? Everyone is simply making it up as they go along. UR is very much a US thing and does not tend to have any legs here in SA whose xian roots come mostly from Europe. Places like the UK and Aus tend to be similar.

UR is just another sect of US xianity. It is the least offensive IMO.

UR was the last stepping stone out of the madness for me. True freedom and liberation only came when I dissed everything I had been brought up with and learned as an adult.

Perhaps if I had remained with the Eurocentric version of xianity and did fall foul to the US-centric version, I may have remained agnostic. I guess the US version forced me on my journey of research. Hell is only preached here at the US linked denoms. The Eurocentric ones do not go there as they probably know it makes no sense whatsoever, hell verses are never cherry picked. Their sermons are not allowed to even hint at born again doctrines. You would probably equate these to UR in the states quite easily. If you have been through the catechism process, that is sufficient for them to still bury you een if you reject them, I know, my late wife was buried out of such a church and her initial membership still counted. She was agnostic when she died. I only let this happen for the sake of her religious siblings and mother but made darn sure the service was not used as any evangelical type message. Her life was exemplary and had nothing to do with belief in imaginary gods.

The pastor gave her a pass even though I did tell him she was agnostic.

In reality, no one has even hinted at the idea she is in their imaginary hell even though the biblical doctrine clearly tells us that is where she apparently is. When folk like this die, it also flies in the face of their dogmas. The reality, she no longer exists except as recycled atoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 12:09 PM

99 posts, read 108,633 times
Default need a simple but important change

what this whole christian forum needs is a real ordained gift ministry of a teacher,who will line the word out so it can be worked by anyone to make it their own. A workman that has studied to show himself approved of GOD by rightly dividing the word of truth,also without any private intreptation. Then and only then will all the dissputes and aurguments,slowly go away.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:57 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,717,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling53 View Post
what this whole christian forum needs is a real ordained gift ministry of a teacher,who will line the word out so it can be worked by anyone to make it their own. A workman that has studied to show himself approved of GOD by rightly dividing the word of truth,also without any private intreptation. Then and only then will all the dissputes and aurguments,slowly go away.
Maybe God himself. Now THAT would be a god I could get behind, one that honestly answers questons.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:04 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,461,965 times
Quote:
How is that accomplished, exactly?

Old 06-06-2013, 01:14 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,280,028 times
Quote:
That one actually made me chuckle. There are only a few people here willing to submit to God's Word.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,331,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
There are only a few people here willing to submit to God's Word.
You can tell by some posts on the internet? When people choose the subjects (and posters) they respond to? (And are under no particular obligation to share their innermost thoughts on God.) That's some pretty heavy duty divining you've got going there. I'd think that particular talent would come in handy at carnivals and such. Can you also guess people's weight and occupation?

Old 06-06-2013, 04:54 PM

13,137 posts, read 22,899,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That one actually made me chuckle. There are only a few people here willing to submit to God's Word.
Still waiting for god to tell me what's what, but all I hear are an ocean of conflicting human minds trying to convince me that god speaks to them so I should follow.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:06 PM

7,745 posts, read 12,686,981 times
There's definitely scum around here and it isn't me. You can do and believe whatever you want. Your the one that forced yourself into debates with fundamental Christians about Christianity. So you have no one to blame but yourself when your presented with the facts and information that have to do with it. If you didn't want to read it, you shouldn't have participated in it.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:54 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,238,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
There's definitely scum around here and it isn't me. You can do and believe whatever you want. Your the one that forced yourself into debates with fundamental Christians about Christianity. So you have no one to blame but yourself when your presented with the facts and information that have to do with it. If you didn't want to read it, you shouldn't have participated in it.
Oh look, someone offended by something posted on teh internet. Well I suppose if Jeebus called folk whitewashed tombs, ya just following his example. Well done.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:05 PM

99 posts, read 108,633 times
The study of GODS word is the how of getting to know who and what GOD the creator of the heavens and earth is. You cant know God without knowing what his word says he is,what he has done and is doing now. Just like u cant know anything about a person till you talk to them,and get to know them by their words. The how to accomplish this has got to start by getting to know God through his words. Another example in John 10:10 Gods word says the thief cometh not but for to steal,and to kill,and to destroy: I {Jesus Christ} am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. So now its up to us to find out about this more than abundant life in Gods word. there is no guessing,like most religions do. So on the subject of who is God you need a basic knowledge of greek to understand Gods usage of words in his word describing himself. A little history here, all sourses show that the alphabet was first developed by a Semitic group who formed 22 letters or characters in the general shape of things around them. The greeks adobted these same letters, but changed some of the consonants,which they though were useless,to vowels. With any concordance of the bible you can look up the greek and hebrew words for god. My greek lexicon and concordance first usage Oeos,God a name for the true God.From the sanscript DIU_S which means fire,the sun,the sky heaven.WHERE EVER THE SUN SHINES IN THE WORLD HE HAS BEEN OR IS,WORSHIPED AS GOD ,because he gives light to heaven and life on earth. Then DIAUS was procreating or generative power dwelling in heaven. The father of light and life. The one supreme with whom is the fountain of life and light. In his light alone can we see light. In the septuagint translated ELOHIM OR JEHOVA. Also God as the mighty one,the one above all,the first, combining the idea of inspiring awe and adoration. just some of the many things to get to know and understand about God. By the way the usage of Elohim is always in reference to his creation,and Jehova is in reference to that which hes created. Gods word says that God is a spirit and has no comlyness,form or shape. God is not a man that he should lie. God is every where present, all knowing, the creater of free will,is light and in him is no darkness at all. Lots to get to know about God to much to put in one post. Any questions much appreciated lets get to know God through his word together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality