Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 09:00 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Interesting. I had no idea you converted to Islam from Christianity.

What makes Islam more true or more faithful than Christianity? Why would you believe in Islam and not Cristianity or Judaism?
There was a 20 year period of being an Atheist between my leaving Christianity and finding Islam.

I was quite content and satisfied with being an atheist or agnostic and had no desire to return to any religion, especially not Islam, which I was a against for 65 years.

You can read the whole boring story HERE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 04:41 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
There was a 20 year period of being an Atheist between my leaving Christianity and finding Islam.

I was quite content and satisfied with being an atheist or agnostic and had no desire to return to any religion, especially not Islam, which I was a against for 65 years.

You can read the whole boring story HERE
I could have been a Buddhist myself (perhaps is a way I still am) except that it was an intellectual approach rather than a surge of emotional recognition which leads to a Faith which doesn't really care about the questions, but keeps them in a different part of the brain. Because I didn't do that, Buddhism didn't stack up for me and I Doe'd.

In a way one could say I have found my faith except that to call bald a hair colour is essentially illogical, captain.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:21 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times
Quote:
Last edited by Miss Blue; Yesterday at 09:37 PM.. Reason: we don't need or care to know about what you and yourself do with "it".
Censorship is evil.

My life would not be the same without going to church. Not that I'm really a Christian anymore, I've decided I believe in a bunch of other stuff. I'm basically a believer in a personalized social connections (Bonds/Boundaries) religion.

I meet people at church, meaning I satisfy the tenants of my religion by going to that one. My parents, and everyone I've stayed with when homeless, has been Christian. Just staying home and sitting around the house, would, due to my "rich social life" mean I have that much less social interaction, and less in common with them.

Arequipa, you'd make a cool Buddhist, with your logical and open approach. Bald is sexy, you know you want to.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Censorship is evil.

My life would not be the same without going to church. Not that I'm really a Christian anymore, I've decided I believe in a bunch of other stuff. I'm basically a believer in a personalized social connections (Bonds/Boundaries) religion.

I meet people at church, meaning I satisfy the tenants of my religion by going to that one. My parents, and everyone I've stayed with when homeless, has been Christian. Just staying home and sitting around the house, would, due to my "rich social life" mean I have that much less social interaction, and less in common with them.

Arequipa, you'd make a cool Buddhist, with your logical and open approach. Bald is sexy, you know you want to.
If you'd seen the shape of my shaven head, you'd know why I left.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:01 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Sounds like you were not even saved from Lord Jesus in the first place , as many church are just a form of godliness but deny any power from God ......As If your were saved through Lord Jesus and enduring to the end like people who love God are , there would be no way of losing God in any way , and Lord Jesus would protect you beyond measure ..... But some people end up in dry church with no love of God , no baptism of Holy Spirit , and dry legalism in word faith were church are more of a club or resort ..... You should go back and repent and get Lord Jesus next time , as when you put God in the religion , the best religion is the religion of Jesus Holy Spirit .....

Old 08-14-2013, 03:16 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Default Changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowerOfThings View Post
Gee, this is weird. I imagined that once I stopped going to church and reading the Bible, my life would suddenly become depressing, empty, hedonistic, unmanageable. The only difference is that I sleep in on Sunday morningModerator cut: delete . In fact my life is more enjoyable. I've taken up intellectual pursuits and I'm more motivated to live life to the fullest. It's a very liberating feeling when you remove from your mind that religious stuff that was cluttering it.
Could it be that your previous life in church and reading the Bible made no change in your life anyway?

If you were never meeting opposition to living a life as a Christian, then most likely Satan was happy in the direction you were traveling.

I'm neither trying to "re-convert" you, nor oppose your choice. I'm not a church goer myself, but I believe deeply in God and try to walk closer with Him each day. So if your life is basically the same, then Christ had never worked a change in your heart to begin with.

Regardless, may your future journey be blessed.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
I've taken up intellectual pursuits and I'm more motivated to live life to the fullest.
Why couldn't you do those things while you held Christian beliefs?

Lots of Christians out there who search for knowledge ,read everything they can get their hands on, and squeeze every drop out of life.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:01 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Gee, this is weird. I imagined that once I stopped going to church and reading the Bible, my life would suddenly become depressing, empty, hedonistic, unmanageable. The only difference is that I sleep in on Sunday morningModerator cut: delete . In fact my life is more enjoyable. I've taken up intellectual pursuits and I'm more motivated to live life to the fullest. It's a very liberating feeling when you remove from your mind that religious stuff that was cluttering it.
Did you change your life, when you first started going to church? I know I did. When I quit attending church on a regular basis, my life didn't go back to the way it was before. I can, therefore, say that I was ready for a change, and that being with a group of people who were also trying to "be better people", helped me in my quest.

Unfortunately, too many people jump into religion, thinking it's going to provide some magical transformation in their lives, whether it be financial success, social success, relationship success and that might not happen. It's pretty hard for those folks to keep their faith alive, when year after year, they wait for HUGE miracles that don't materialize. Sometimes, they get so hyperfocused on waiting for that giant miracle to drop into their lap, that they miss all of the little gifts/miracles that come their way.

Too many people walk away from a "higher power", because that higher power isn't doing enough for them. They're tired of waiting...they've prayed and since their prayers weren't answered, (exactly as they specified) they walk away and quit believing. Truth be told, they were never believers in the first place. Maybe they wanted to believe...but they needed something big to happen, something specific.

Some people start attending church as wolves in sheep's clothing. They pretend to be "searching for a purpose in life", but what they're really searching for are targets for their schemes, sheep that they can manipulate, because "Christians are supposed to be charitable and kind...helping others, etc.". They don't last long in their "new beliefs" either, when their plans fail. I guess they skipped over the part in the Bible where He says not to harm His children.

By the way...good for you, for taking up new intellectual pursuits. Personally, getting in touch with MY creator changed my life for the better. When sh*t gets real and you're buried beneath one effing thing after another....cuz they DON'T always come in just THREES!!!!!, ....and you find yourself falling to pieces, and you're saying, "God.....I can't take anymore!....I just can't TAKE any more.", some how, the sun rises on another day, one thing after another resolves itself and somehow, you find yourself looking back on the things that you thought you couldn't handle....and can't believe that you made it through ...because there's NO way you thought you could ever handle something like that, but things.....well, they usually work out. Maybe they don't work out the way you wanted them to, but it didn't kill ya, right? .....because the life you're living now is what you're SUPPOSED to be doing.....for now.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:13 PM

889 posts, read 825,080 times
Quote:
Your life might be the same, but your death won't be.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:58 PM

Apart from dying with a god -belief (which is the only difference about Knower's life), how is it going to be not the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality