Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 09:09 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
It's the principle. I would indeed call the cops.
With all due respect, that's ridiculous. If someone is being an annoyance, politely ask them to leave. If that doesn't work, lose the politeness. If that doesn't work, get demanding and insist. If that doesn't work, they are trespassing at that point and you've got a case. But to call the cops because someone knocks on your door with a tract in hand... c'mon. A little extreme, don't you think?

Old 11-19-2007, 09:16 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I've been inconvenienced by people claiming to be raising money for Special Olympics.

I've been bothered by people trying to sell me something.

I've been annoyed by people who wouldn't take 'No, thank you' for an answer.

I've never wanted to pull a shotgun on any of them or even call the cops on them. I think the reactions to these actions are just as ridiculous a the actions themselves.
I never said anything about a shotgun.... although....

However, if I do not want to be bothered by this sort of thing why must I be subjected to it? What means do I have for preventing such problems? I really do not want this sort of thing happening to me in my house which I pay good money for. At what point do we have to give in to these sorts of people? At what point does it become justified to 'bother' someone at home? My answer is never. I don't care what you're selling, what you're offering, or what you're trying to get, I've never had someone come to my door with anything that didn't have an ulterior motive behind it. Calling the cops is not ridiculous. If the sanctity of my own home cannot be free from this sort of thing than where can I be free from it? I should not have to bow down to the beliefs of others ESPECIALLY in my own home. I should not have to respect their beliefs if they are the ones invading my privacy. Why should I have to? Because they came bearing the name of "God"? That means nothing to me. I should not have to accept it as a part of my life because that's what someone 'believes'.

So I ask this question: What would you do if the KKK knocked on your door and asked you to join their movement? At what point would you want to call the cops? I honestly don't believe that you'd put up with it for very long, and I feel the same way towards Christianity. So far, I have not seen one GOOD reason to knock on someone's door and invade their privacy. There is no justification for it. EVER.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:22 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:

However, if I do not want to be bothered by this sort of thing why must I be subjected to it? What means do I have for preventing such problems? I really do not want this sort of thing happening to me in my house which I pay good money for. At what point do we have to give in to these sorts of people? At what point does it become justified to 'bother' someone at home? My answer is never. I don't care what you're selling, what you're offering, or what you're trying to get, I've never had someone come to my door with anything that didn't have an ulterior motive behind it. Calling the cops is not ridiculous. If the sanctity of my own home cannot be free from this sort of thing than where can I be free from it? I should not have to bow down to the beliefs of others ESPECIALLY in my own home. I should not have to respect their beliefs if they are the ones invading my privacy. Why should I have to? Because they came bearing the name of "God"? That means nothing to me. I should not have to accept it as a part of my life because that's what someone 'believes'.

So I ask this question: What would you do if the KKK knocked on your door and asked you to join their movement? At what point would you want to call the cops? I honestly don't believe that you'd put up with it for very long, and I feel the same way towards Christianity. So far, I have not seen one GOOD reason to knock on someone's door and invade their privacy. There is no justification for it. EVER.
C'mon, troop. Do you get this excited about boy scouts trying to sell popcorn or girl scouts selling cookies? Hey, just don't answer the door! I don't wish to engage in dialog with mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses. (Some Christians feel called to engage them when they come around. I don't.) So...if I peek out and think that's who it is, I simply don't answer the door. Problem solved. And I DO understand why they feel they need to come around...

Old 11-19-2007, 09:24 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
wasn't just talking about you, I was talking about the whole thread.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I have a brain, if I am interested in something, I also have the internet and the local library to look things up. The bald faced arrogance of people who inject themselves into our lives with the presumption that THEY alone have something to teach is utterly amazing too me. I swear I'm going to get a shotgun and start meeting these people at the door with it. Maybe it will give them something to cry about at church next time.
Nuff said on that.

As far as the rest of your post, I'd tell the KKK and anyone else who was bothering me at my door, in the parking lot, on the phone, etc to just roll on, I'm not interested.

Of course I'm biased since I am a Christian, but this hoopla just seems over the top and silly. EVERYBODY has to deal with people taking license on their privacy and free time and even work time. It's just part of life. Shake your head and move on. It's a whole lot less stressful. And for the record, I get religious folks at my door that I don't want there too. The JWs come around to see me. So it's not like I can't relate, I just can't relate to the huge issue. I tell those guys and gals no thanks and they leave.

Simple really.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:31 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
C'mon, troop. Do you get this excited about boy scouts trying to sell popcorn or girl scouts selling cookies? Hey, just don't answer the door! I don't wish to engage in dialog with mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses. (Some Christians feel called to engage them when they come around. I don't.) So...if I peek out and think that's who it is, I simply don't answer the door. Problem solved.
Although I don't prefer to have people coming to my door selling stuff (even boy scouts) it is a bit different. However, I tried the whole not answering thing before. Guess what happened? They kept ringing until I answered. Let's not forget that they don't always come wearing big signs that say "Hi I'm John from Such and Such Church here to try and convert you". I especially don't like it because if I am not home and my wife answers the door I am afraid that perhaps she might get taken advantage of because her English isn't that great. I have other reasons than just wanting to be private. If she answered the door to someone who said "Mind if we come in and discuss a few things" she may let them in unknowingly.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:43 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Although I don't prefer to have people coming to my door selling stuff (even boy scouts) it is a bit different. However, I tried the whole not answering thing before. Guess what happened? They kept ringing until I answered. Let's not forget that they don't always come wearing big signs that say "Hi I'm John from Such and Such Church here to try and convert you". I especially don't like it because if I am not home and my wife answers the door I am afraid that perhaps she might get taken advantage of because her English isn't that great. I have other reasons than just wanting to be private. If she answered the door to someone who said "Mind if we come in and discuss a few things" she may let them in unknowingly.
Well, I do understand, but in general, I usually do not answer the door to anyone I don't know. That's just me. And I did have an incident where I learned that 2 Jehovah's Witnesses ladies were coming around talking to my 14 year old son while I was at work. (Now that was really mostly his fault because he had always been firmly instructed to not answer the door to anyone while he was home alone!) His excuse was that they were just 2 little bitty ladies who couldn't hurt a flea! But then one Sat. morning the little bitty ladies came by while my husband and I were there. My husband just told them politely that we don't believe like they do and that he didn't want them talking to our son again. And to my knowledge they didn't come by after that. I have NEVER had anyone be overly persistent by continuing to ring the doorbell or in any other way...

Old 11-19-2007, 10:54 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike1611 View Post
Christians look at it the same way. We believe that it is not your house that is in danger, but your soul. We believe that Christ is the "Fireman", so to speak, and He can save you. Because of that, we come to your door with the same urgency as though your own family was in danger. Only so much more so -- it's not just your house that's in peril; it's your soul.
Well, the idea that saving souls is an honorable thing is all well and good, (in and of itself), but remember your statement that Christ is the "Fireman". Now, if my house is on fire, I want the real deal showing up, not firemen-in-training. After all, as most Christians will at least acknowledge, (even if sometimes they act entirely opposite), the belief is that it is Christ who saves, not mortal people.

People don't like to be accosted anywhere, but most particularly in their homes. And, although I may be a little more polite of folks selling their religion, than I am of those selling cleaning products or magazines, it doesn't mean that I am any happier about the disruption. I suppose more than anything, it simply means that I do understand why they do what they do, and it makes me a tad more tolerant. I suppose it is because, in my Southern Baptist days, I did allow some folks to talk me into going with them on their door-to-door excursions a couple of times, with which I was very uncomfortable. I even took some classes at my then-church, to learn how to wittness. Needless to say, I was not good at it, (if I had been trying to make a living as a salesperson, I would have starved to death!). Anymore, I'm of the opinion that is best to allow people to make their own choices about their spiritual beliefs. God is perfectly capable reaching any and all, and he doesn't need my help, or anyone else's.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:33 PM

109 posts, read 205,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Why is it that so often those of us who don't want the intrusion are asked to understand, whereas those who witness refuse to even understand that people just don't want to be disturbed in their own home. Why is it so very difficult for people to comprehend, and respect that?
Might one suggest placing a rather large dog in your garden!

Old 11-19-2007, 11:58 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
Might one suggest placing a rather large dog in your garden!
I put a rather large sign on the door and they still knocked on the door and rang my door bell.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:09 AM

109 posts, read 205,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I put a rather large sign on the door and they still knocked on the door and rang my door bell.
Perhaps then, a device whereby one could flick a switch and transfer the electricity supply to the door bell or door knocker!! That would make them yelp and I'm sure word would soon get around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality