Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 08:10 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Who called you stupid? Sorry I missed that.
Post 5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 08:22 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Post 5
I only see the word stupid in one post. And it isn't that one.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:38 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Post 5
Quote:
This simply indicates that you have no idea about the arguments either for or against your God, even after all of this time.
This? No wonder you misunderstand atheists. You can't read.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:01 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
Quote:
If the God of the Bible is not real then all of the stuff posted here by atheists is true and valid. Christianity is a sham. With that said I find it silly that certain posters waste their time calling God evil and arguing over His attributes. If it were me as an atheist, I would not waste my time on arguing about the attributes of unicorns. Same thing as far as I am concerned. Let the fools dwell in their magical thoughts I say.

Now the other position: if the God of the Bible is real. Judaism and Christianity is truth and all that implies. Then the folks arguing over His attributes have a reason to argue. Call God evil and whatever. A valid use of one's time. We're no longer talking unicorns, but reality.

If the belief in unicorns crept in our daily lives we would dwell on the merits of unicorn belief.

If the belief in unicorns crept into legislation. We would dwell on wether or not unicorns exist.

We waste our time arguing about these issues because these issues impact our lives in negative ways.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
This? No wonder you misunderstand atheists. You can't read.
Yea. You are also calling me stupid. That makes two. And I do understand atheists, but you and other fellow atheists want to paint theists as stupid when we/I point out the obvious. Come on, why can't we all just get along and agree to disagree? Is that so hard?

Old 11-21-2013, 11:30 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
If the God of the Bible is not real then all of the stuff posted here by atheists is true and valid. Christianity is a sham. With that said I find it silly that certain posters waste their time calling God evil and arguing over His attributes. If it were me as an atheist, I would not waste my time on arguing about the attributes of unicorns. Same thing as far as I am concerned. Let the fools dwell in their magical thoughts I say.

Now the other position: if the God of the Bible is real. Judaism and Christianity is truth and all that implies. Then the folks arguing over His attributes have a reason to argue. Call God evil and whatever. A valid use of one's time. We're no longer talking unicorns, but reality.
Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong. For some reason we assume that all metaphysical forces, beings, actions, and conscious is god for Judaism and Islam, and god or devil for Christianity. There was a creator, whether it was every atom around us or a decision by a separate entity. Why does God have to be the creator? Why God and not Gods? Why does God not have feelings like us? Why is God not evolving spiritually like us? You Mr. 5150, misinterpreted God and fell into the binary trap. Heres some examples of binary traps:
Either a monarchy or anarchy
Either a cookie for dessert or no dessert
Either Seekers is a militant atheist or a hypocrite
Either I understood 100% of what you said or 0%

Old 11-22-2013, 05:46 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:

If fanatical uniocorn worshippers were doing things like bombing the Olympics, killing doctors, gutting high school biology curricula, and generally making laws predicated upon what they perceive as the dictates of the One True Unicorn - then, yes, you probably would.

Your analogy is laughable.

Quote:
Well if true I would agree. But seriously, can you not agree that some or many atheists on this board also have the same superiority complex?

(Gosh, why do we all post in a language that sounds like we are in a Marvel comic book?)
It follows from your cartoonish premise.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:27 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:

Since you may have overlooked the other answers to your questions, I'll attempt to do so.

If you make a claim about the existence of your God, which many theists use to influence public policy, atheists and other theists alike have an obligation to dispute your claims. Since proving that your God doesn't exist is impossible, we can only address the attribute of your God. For example, when you claim that he is all-loving, we've provided evidence from your own holy book that demonstrates when your God ihas not been loving, like when he kills all of the first born in Egypt for the hardening of their Pharoah's heart, which was done by God himself supposedly. What else are we to do?

Old 11-22-2013, 10:01 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,222 times
Pointing out the "evil" and inconsistencies with a god often helps others to see that said god may not be what they were taught. This can be the first step to freedom from theism, which many of us are very grateful for.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Since you may have overlooked the other answers to your questions, I'll attempt to do so.

If you make a claim about the existence of your God, which many theists use to influence public policy, atheists and other theists alike have an obligation to dispute your claims. Since proving that your God doesn't exist is impossible, we can only address the attribute of your God. For example, when you claim that he is all-loving, we've provided evidence from your own holy book that demonstrates when your God ihas not been loving, like when he kills all of the first born in Egypt for the hardening of their Pharoah's heart, which was done by God himself supposedly. What else are we to do?
Thaks for a straight answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Pointing out the "evil" and inconsistencies with a god often helps others to see that said god may not be what they were taught. This can be the first step to freedom from theism, which many of us are very grateful for.
True, but disagreeable behavior does not demonstrate that said God does not exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality