Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:08 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Moosketeer
Quote:
Why should Religion influence political life ?
It shouldn't, but here in Holland we have some politicians who rather focus on the Islam and blame them for all our troubles. The fact that most Islamic people are often also the poor because they perform the most simple jobs, since we natives deem ourselves too good for doing menial work. I mean the rich have always blamed the poor and it just is so that our Islamic citizens often are the majority of the poor.
The fact that we (the Dutch government) brought them here as guest workers is often conveniently left out of the conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 08:14 AM

415 posts, read 611,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Below is a link to the British Telegraph newspaper... a right wing broadsheet.

In it Tony Blair admits that talking about God in the UK labels you as a "nutter", and how he was unable to follow the example of openly religious political leaders like George W Bush.

Why is it that in England (like a lot of Europe) it is unaccepteable to the public to bring religion into the political forum, and yet in the US it is a major strategy by both parties to win support?

I do not want to start a UK vs US thing (I have lived in and very much like both countries), but is it more or less progressive, for a society to be moving away from God?

Tony Blair: Mention God and you're a 'nutter' - Telegraph
What did Blair want to say about God that he didn't have the courage to say when he was in office?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:17 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Moosketeer It shouldn't, but here in Holland we have some politicians who rather focus on the Islam and blame them for all our troubles. The fact that most Islamic people are often also the poor because they perform the most simple jobs, since we natives deem ourselves too good for doing menial work. I mean the rich have always blamed the poor and it just is so that our Islamic citizens often are the majority of the poor.
The fact that we (the Dutch government) brought them here as guest workers is often conveniently left out of the conversation.
I agree. The same applies to France, where we conveniently forget that the immigrants we so hate have been doing jobs French people refused to do for decades now. And were invited to do so , to allay the shortage in workforce.
The Religion card is often played but I find it really distasteful. Secularism IMO is the only way to govern a country unless all your citizens are all deep believers and of the same religion. Anything else is undemocratic and morally repugnant.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:49 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashTheCash View Post
What did Blair want to say about God that he didn't have the courage to say when he was in office?
No1 - he didn't really talk about it

No2 - he certainly didn't talk about his religion 'influencing his decisions'.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:48 PM

110 posts, read 377,334 times
Melding religion and politics produces theocracy, the most virulent form of totalitarianism. There is no worse form of government than theocracy. Europe is way ahead of the U.S. in many regards, and keeping religion out of politics is one of them. As someone pointed out, Europe has directly experienced totalitarianism and they don't want a repeat. There is a move underway to "re-write" American history to manipulate Americans into believing that our country was founded as a Christian nation. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is not coincidental that there is a wave of totalitarianism sweeping this country. When the church/state wall is breeched, democracy will be destroyed.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by TaraMoon
Quote:
There is a move underway to "re-write" American history to manipulate Americans into believing that our country was founded as a Christian nation. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is not coincidental that there is a wave of totalitarianism sweeping this country. When the church/state wall is breeched, democracy will be destroyed.
Well said.
Although I'm not an American, nor have I ever been in America, I do share the concern that if America isn't vigilant it will end up a fascist state. I consider America the 'arrogant' up and coming young boxing challenger, who doesn't posses the wisdom of the old veterans yet.
Winning a couple of important matches does not automatically make him an experienced champion.
It seems that experience only comes with age and not on talent alone.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 AM

415 posts, read 611,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraMoon:

There is a move underway to "re-write" American history to manipulate Americans into believing that our country was founded as a Christian nation.
Can you give some examples of what you mean?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:13 AM

659 posts, read 1,374,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I don't mind politicians talking about there religion, as long as they are sincere about it.
I've more got a problem with people in influential positions who aren't truthful and just say anything to get the public on their side.
In my case Tricky, I agree one hundred percent with your second premise but when I hear politicians talking about their religion it makes me nauseous.
So is the fault with me, or, in my dotage have I just heard it all before?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:20 AM

659 posts, read 1,374,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashTheCash View Post
Got a funny feeling Bliar wanted to say God was wrong and he knew better.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by famenity
Quote:
So is the fault with me, or, in my dotage have I just heard it all before?
I dunno, it probably depends on what you have heard.
But I believe that politicians in general just keep walking in circles because they do not want to make any real decisions.
To me it seems like they are just waiting for the inevitable to happen and then proclaim that what happened was inevitable.
And if that doesn't work find a scapegoat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality