Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 04:07 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times

Advertisements

Below is a link to the British Telegraph newspaper... a right wing broadsheet.

In it Tony Blair admits that talking about God in the UK labels you as a "nutter", and how he was unable to follow the example of openly religious political leaders like George W Bush.

Why is it that in England (like a lot of Europe) it is unaccepteable to the public to bring religion into the political forum, and yet in the US it is a major strategy by both parties to win support?

I do not want to start a UK vs US thing (I have lived in and very much like both countries), but is it more or less progressive, for a society to be moving away from God?

Tony Blair: Mention God and you're a 'nutter' - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 05:47 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,531 times
its not really a strategy in the us ...more like its mandatory ....our country from its birth was supposed to separate church and state...its not turning away from god ..what weve done in america is turned away from one of our original principles....can't you rest in that tony blair is a christian and he has said his faith plays a major role in his decisions

Old 11-25-2007, 07:19 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
I don't think that there is a 'turning away.' I think it's more of an acceptance that the next door neighbor may think differently about things than we do. In some areas, it wouldn't matter, but in the USA, there are still those factions that push the religious agenda. I think that other countries have grown past that stage.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:03 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Two things I never argue...Politics and religion

http://www.zwani.com/graphics/animated/images/animated93.gif (broken link)

Old 11-25-2007, 10:39 AM

247 posts, read 1,115,699 times
The Europeans don't mix politics and religion because they've had plenty of examples of terrible consequences in their history. They've seen the inqusition and lived through the centurys of the Dark Ages, when the church ruled everything and almost no progress was made in science or in living standards because of it. Americans seem to think that we were better off in times when the society was more pious. I disagree.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:01 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
It seems like in America, there is no shame about making something that should be very private waltz around the public forum. Some of the questions we ask the primary candidates about their religious beliefs are just downright rude, in my opinion. Europe seems to hold onto the idea that religion is between yourself and your God(s) or lack thereof and that there is no need to profess whatever you belief on a national forum.

It's kind of embarrassing to me to see people strut around spouting off their religious beliefs in a public forum. Are they really that insecure in their beliefs that they need to hear themselves talk about it to feel justified?

Old 11-25-2007, 12:04 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
I don't mind politicians talking about there religion, as long as they are sincere about it.
I've more got a problem with people in influential positions who aren't truthful and just say anything to get the public on their side.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:12 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
Personally, I don't think a politicians religious beliefs have anything to do with running the country. I think it is a political strategy to get votes. Just look at what Rudy Guilliani is doing now.. he is completely representing himself differently to appeal to religious voters.

I really feel that there is too much emphasis on a persons religion and religious views and not on how well they can represent our country. Religious folks do not have a monopoly on moral behaviour and truthfulness.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:16 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Personally, I don't think a politicians religious beliefs have anything to do with running the country. I think it is a political strategy to get votes. Just look at what Rudy Guilliani is doing now.. he is completely representing himself differently to appeal to religious voters.

I really feel that there is too much emphasis on a persons religion and religious views and not on how well they can represent our country. Religious folks do not have a monopoly on moral behaviour and truthfulness.

To true. But the OP is about the fact that the electorate feel that it is important.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:54 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
I think Religion in Europe is ebbing away, and the continent is generally becoming a lot more secular. Societal changes have been highly influential, the "wealthier" ( or should I say financially secure) people become the more secular they become and religion becomes obsolete. The Church ( Catholic or Anglican ) do not have the same political influence they used to and have therefore become less and less relevant to people's life.

Also I feel being a Christian in Europe is seen as a deeply private and personal thing which is not something to be imposed on anybody else. Political changes in the last century have also meant that the separation of State and Church in most countries is a very valued and prized part of the Nations concerned.

In Europe mixing Politics and Religion is "been there, done that NO THANKS". And it makes sense to me. Why should Religion influence political life ? Not everyone is a believer and most of us are also wary of leaders such a Bliar who wear their Christianity on their sleeves and invade a country . Hypocrisy anyone ? Can anyone really imagine Christ leading armies to bomb innocent civilians into the dark ages ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality