Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 11:15 PM

650 posts, read 514,184 times

Advertisements

ok and had enough of this thing anyway and believe ultimately everything is the whole gov fault for allowing the waste of time to evolve and happen. Anything can be planned presented and worked out in a fair way for everyone regardless and the job.

Last edited by alexcanter; 01-15-2014 at 11:27 PM..

Old 01-16-2014, 05:00 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
They do. Have you even read this thread, which is quite tame compared to those in P&OC.

Go read those in P&OC and tell me that we aren't being called everything imaginable. We are compared to pedophiles and bestiality practices daily, we are called deviants, abominations, and anything else you can imagine. All because we want the same legal protections that other Americans enjoy.
What is the P&OC?

Point me in the right direction and I'll go tear them apart, too.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:14 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
At least according to some judges. Where the people have actually voted, they don't agree.
Bzzzt! Wrong. Thanks for playing.

This is the reason why allowing a popular vote on the rights of minorities is a big, fat no-no when it comes to politicking. An issue like this has be left in the hands of the Supreme Court.

Unfortunately, people are more likely to take action against something they hate than they are to take action to support something they like. Anyone who has ever worked in customer service knows what I'm talking about. People generally don't go out of their way to compliment and reward, but they'll walk a mile barefoot over broken glass to file a complaint or to chew someone out.

Take Prop 8, for instance. Not even half of Californians even bothered to vote. We really don't know how the majority of Californianss feel about same sex marriage. Just because you'll nod your head and say that gays should have the right to marry doesn't mean you'll actually go vote for it - especially if there are long lines, you have to miss a day of work, the weather sucks, etc. etc.

If presented with a yes or no answer, a majoirty of people will say yes. But by and large an even larger group is ambivalent. Gays can get married ... or not ... and it doesn't matter to them because, either way, it doesn't affect them. They're not going to go that extra mile to vote for or against same-sex marriage. But the haters, the bigots, the homophobes, and the religious zealots will be at the polls with bells on.

That stacks the deck against the LGBT community. It is why the majority should never vote on the rights of a minority. The minority group will never be able to win a vote with their own political will. How can they? They're a minority, so they will never have enough votes to win. So the issue is decided based on votes coming from outside the minority group - it becomes necessary to gather allies and go to the polls, but that doesn't work all that often. People often don't care one way or the other about issues that don't affect them, so they aren't motivated to get out there and vote.

But I've explained all this before, and I know you're going to keep repeating yourself, so ....

Old 01-16-2014, 06:29 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
What is the P&OC?

Point me in the right direction and I'll go tear them apart, too.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

There are always a few anti-gay threads on the front page. Go sic em!

Old 01-16-2014, 08:14 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanter View Post
ok and had enough of this thing anyway and believe ultimately everything is the whole gov fault for allowing the waste of time to evolve and happen. Anything can be planned presented and worked out in a fair way for everyone regardless and the job.
There is a fair way for everyone. FOLLOW the CONSTITUTION. It lays out the rules for our laws in black and white.

AMENDMENT XIV

SECTION 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:58 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okipower120190 View Post
1. So you married your wife or husband without loving them? Wow, that's one beautiful marriage that's gonna last forever
It's not relevant. The Law is blind to that.
Quote:
2. I don't know what incest has to do with same sex marriage, but if they want to get married why not? It's not my life it's theirs. I'm against telling people how to live their lives because of what my religion or opinion says.

If we truly want marriage to be whatever we want it to be, there will be people that will want incestuous marriages. Or polygamous marriages. If you think you can change the definition to suit 1% of the population that are gay....why not allow anyone to marry as they want?

Old 01-16-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
There is a fair way for everyone. FOLLOW the CONSTITUTION. It lays out the rules for our laws in black and white.

AMENDMENT XIV

SECTION 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

I've repeatedly asked you to explain how this is being infringed upon. No one is being denied any protections or rights.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Bzzzt! Wrong. Thanks for playing.

This is the reason why allowing a popular vote on the rights of minorities is a big, fat no-no when it comes to politicking. An issue like this has be left in the hands of the Supreme Court.

Unfortunately, people are more likely to take action against something they hate than they are to take action to support something they like. Anyone who has ever worked in customer service knows what I'm talking about. People generally don't go out of their way to compliment and reward, but they'll walk a mile barefoot over broken glass to file a complaint or to chew someone out.

Take Prop 8, for instance. Not even half of Californians even bothered to vote. We really don't know how the majority of Californianss feel about same sex marriage. Just because you'll nod your head and say that gays should have the right to marry doesn't mean you'll actually go vote for it - especially if there are long lines, you have to miss a day of work, the weather sucks, etc. etc.
Yet...it passed. Not my fault if your side didn't turn out.
Quote:
If presented with a yes or no answer, a majoirty of people will say yes.
Except when they actually vote.
Quote:
But by and large an even larger group is ambivalent. Gays can get married ... or not ... and it doesn't matter to them because, either way, it doesn't affect them. They're not going to go that extra mile to vote for or against same-sex marriage. But the haters, the bigots, the homophobes, and the religious zealots will be at the polls with bells on.
It's bigoted to label someone as irrationally scared of it simply because they have a well-thought out moral objection to something. But that's what your side does. Over and over again. I've come to realize that.
Quote:
That stacks the deck against the LGBT community. It is why the majority should never vote on the rights of a minority. The minority group will never be able to win a vote with their own political will. How can they? They're a minority, so they will never have enough votes to win. So the issue is decided based on votes coming from outside the minority group - it becomes necessary to gather allies and go to the polls, but that doesn't work all that often. People often don't care one way or the other about issues that don't affect them, so they aren't motivated to get out there and vote.

But I've explained all this before, and I know you're going to keep repeating yourself, so ....
Slavery was defeated how? By a vote. It wasn't something a the court system ruled on. Funny how that works, huh? Our political system is based on the will of the people--not the minority.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:10 AM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
When will people like you understand civil same sex marriage or civil marriage of any kind has noting to do with biology, procreation, sex, children or religion. Period!!!

You ignorant people are fighting a losing battle. The first of many battles you are going to lose.
Mike,
It's ironic that you call be ignorant, as you engage in logical fallacy ad hominem attack, which makes you look like you have nothing better to present than attack the other.

It is also ironic that you ignore the definition of marriage ("man and wife" - male and femaile) and believe it has nothing to do with children, when in reality, it is the basis by which children (future society) is ensured a stable structure to be raised.

Children ONLY come by the union of a sperm and egg - or did you not ever learn that?
That is why it is in society's best interest, to legally support the union by which society is created.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:18 AM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times
Quote:
1. then PROMOTING marriage would be a good thing, since marriage implies monogamy and monogamy prevents the spread of STDs.

2. If you want to keep children with their mother and father, then ban putting children up for adoption, and ban divorce. Preventing same sex couples from marrying does not keep mommy and daddy in the home.
1. No, according to statistics, those who engage in homosexual practices and are in committed relationships, are much more likely to cheat, than heterosexuals. And the longer those "couples" who practice homosexuality are together, the more chance of spreading STDs, statistically.

2. I never stated that children need to remain with their biological mother or father - only that children need A mother or father - whether that be adopted or biological.
You're second comment is even more of a strawmen logical falacy (attempt to create a ridiculous argument, because it's easier to win than the topic at hand).

Legally denying children a mother or father, is not in line with the US constitution, as well as many state constitutions, since law-makers have realized that it is WISE to support the union by which society (children/future society) is based on.

When did 2 men create a child? NEVER!
When did 2 women create a child? NEVER!
Sperm and egg - that's the basis of our existence!
Some take that axiomatic truth to be hard - THAT is IGNOR-ANCE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality