Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:52 PM

919 posts, read 3,184,622 times

Advertisements

if reading the bible makes one a christian, then i should be one, I attended church most of my life, got baptized twice and etc...I found alot of things to just not make sense...like the rain falls on everyone and yet told to pray for a miracle....that makes no sense AT ALL...sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 04:09 PM

22 posts, read 83,293 times
The Bible is the written word of God,inspired by God and written by man.
I grew up in a Christ-ian home/family as a child and we had prayer meetings every night and we read the Bible and had to give our thoughts on it.
As an adult, I have found it to be very fascinating as it contains a little of everything, romance, battle, good and bad chronicles of events.
I find that by reading the Bible, I gain strength from God to live daily and it encourages and gives me hope, it is actually a source of my optimism and keeps me happy.

It is recommended that before reading the Bible that you pray and ask God to give you an understanding of what you are about to read, ask Him for revelation knowledge, then take it from there. It is also good to go to a "good" church but I would suggest that you pray about that too, and ask God to direct you there so that you can getting better understanding of what the Bible has to say.
I will pray that God will address the concerns in your heart.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:50 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
if reading the bible makes one a christian, then i should be one, I attended church most of my life, got baptized twice and etc...I found alot of things to just not make sense...like the rain falls on everyone and yet told to pray for a miracle....that makes no sense AT ALL...sorry.
Reading the Bible, going to church, getting baptized, none of that makes anyone a Christian, only a personal relationship with Jesus and asking Him to forgive you of your sins can do that. Anyone who does not have the Holy Spirit cannot understand spiritual things, it makes no sense to them.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:20 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
We should read the Bibles (not just the New Testament but the Old Testament and Quran as well) because it's important to understand where people are coming from. I've read each book multiple times and every time I read it, the absurdity and unbelievablity becomes more and more crystalized for me.

I do think it's a little silly that when people are searching for a belief, they are told to read the Bible. The Bible is a cold, dead book if you have no belief in it and it is only the belief that makes the horrible things in it seem ok.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:01 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,740 times
[/quote] I don't think anyone can have a relationship with God without reading His Word.[quote]

I agree with that

Basic
Instruction
Before
Leaving
Earth

Old 12-14-2007, 08:00 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
We should read the Bibles (not just the New Testament but the Old Testament and Quran as well) because it's important to understand where people are coming from. I've read each book multiple times and every time I read it, the absurdity and unbelievablity becomes more and more crystalized for me.
If you read the Bible and you are not touched by it, then I truly think something is definitely wrong with you. The messages in the Bible and the Quran are so simple yet so powerful and full of wisdom. I guess, when people that do not believe are described as being "blind", I cannot think of a more perfect description. God is truly amazing!

Old 12-16-2007, 04:17 AM

606 posts, read 699,073 times
They are just trying to preach!

By reading the bible,you'll learn their doctrines and hopefully you will be brainwashed if you real bible all the time without doubts.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:18 AM

606 posts, read 699,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
If you read the Bible and you are not touched by it, then I truly think something is definitely wrong with you.
If you read the bible and you are touched by it,then I truly think you are already brainwashed by Christians and lost the ability to think independently.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:58 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Reading the Bible will not make you a Christian anymore than serving the army can turn boys into men.
If you weren't already a man before you went into the army, you certainly won't be your own man after you joined the army. The army doesn't need or want men who can think for themselves; they only want soldiers who are willing to obey orders without any question.
Without a clear chain of command and soldiers who are willing to lay down their lives for their superiors, most armies will crumble to dust.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:03 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
If you read the bible and you are touched by it,then I truly think you are already brainwashed by Christians and lost the ability to think independently.
Very wrong! Actually, I am a believer and I do not belong to any church. The Bible itself is a very powerful book and has very little to do with the modern American idea of "Christianity". I am still very able to think independently and the Bible is a great source of guidance for those who believe. The Bible has very little to do with organized religion in my opinion. God is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality