Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 09:08 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,935,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
If you can't spend one day with God now how will you ever stand to spend an Eternity with Him?

The Sabbath is a date with God. You want your date ready when you come by to pick her up don't you?
OMG, you were serious with your diatribe.

Lord, if you exist, did you know what some of your subjects are smoking? They come up with better stories than those superstitious, wandering, bronze aged desert tribes did.

Wow. Someone's education system needs adjustment for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 09:55 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,852,555 times
The Sabbath is a day of rest. A day to stop and not work or be busy with life. My bible says God rested on the 7th day and to keep it. So therefore in my family, we rest. We dont do chores, work, etc on Sundays. We take a family day and do something.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:46 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,935,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
The Sabbath is a day of rest. A day to stop and not work or be busy with life. My bible says God rested on the 7th day and to keep it. So therefore in my family, we rest. We dont do chores, work, etc on Sundays. We take a family day and do something.
Except, if you actually follow the bible, the real sabbath is on Saturday, not Sunday.

Why do you think it is Sunday? (I actually know the answer, but need to see where your coming from).

Old 06-07-2014, 04:17 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,329,099 times
Quote:
If you can't spend one day with God now how will you ever stand to spend an Eternity with Him?

The Sabbath is a date with God. You want your date ready when you come by to pick her up don't you?
I'll believe that the moment God buys me dinner.

Unfortunately, as I sat there finishing my meal and staring at the presumably empty chair across the table from me, I thought, "Damn, God is a boring date. He hasn't said a word so far, and I had to drive HIM to the restaurant."

Worst of all, when it came time to pay for the food, the check just sat there on the table ... and I waited and waited to see if God was at all chivalrous or gentlemanly. But alas, no, so I had to pick up the entire tab. What really ticks me off, though, is that I had to order for God since he wasn't inclined to tell the waitress what he wanted to eat - and then he left the food sit there untouched. Yeah, I had to pay for the entire date and I didn't receive good conversation, romance, a kiss, or even a compliment. Hell, I could have eaten by myself and had a better time. AND, I would have been able to do it for half the cost!

So if the Sabbath is my date with God, I'll be busy for the next few thousand Sundays. Sorry.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:54 AM

20,064 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I'll believe that the moment God buys me dinner.

Unfortunately, as I sat there finishing my meal and staring at the presumably empty chair across the table from me, I thought, "Damn, God is a boring date. He hasn't said a word so far, and I had to drive HIM to the restaurant."

Worst of all, when it came time to pay for the food, the check just sat there on the table ... and I waited and waited to see if God was at all chivalrous or gentlemanly. But alas, no, so I had to pick up the entire tab. What really ticks me off, though, is that I had to order for God since he wasn't inclined to tell the waitress what he wanted to eat - and then he left the food sit there untouched. Yeah, I had to pay for the entire date and I didn't receive good conversation, romance, a kiss, or even a compliment. Hell, I could have eaten by myself and had a better time. AND, I would have been able to do it for half the cost!

So if the Sabbath is my date with God, I'll be busy for the next few thousand Sundays. Sorry.
Shirina, you could do stand-up comedy.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:20 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,329,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Shirina, you could do stand-up comedy.
Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:19 PM

553 posts, read 596,585 times
God specified that we are to stop our usual labors to spend the seventh day holy. Ask any pastor of any church, everyone of them will tell you that the seventh-day Sabbath spoken of in the Sabbath Commandment is from sunset Friday till sunset Saturday. I have worked at many different jobs in many different places. Every one of them emphasized production, production! PRODUCTION!!!! But every one of them also wanted me to STOP production at specified points of either time or units, take out my tape measure, and check to see that I am doing everything RIGHT!!! That is what the Sabbath is: a time to compare my life to the perfect life of Christ and see where I fall short. If everyone did this we would all be reminded of the Creator and there would be no Theory of Evolution or Theory of Racial Superiority, or Class Inequality. But we have forgotten the Sabbath and all these things have followed.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:43 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times

Old 06-07-2014, 10:49 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,136,667 times
Quote:
The Sabbath Commandment (Exodus 20:8-11) says that we are to remember the Sabbath because God created. It follows that if we forget the Sabbath we will forget Creation and we will forget the Creator. We forgot the Sabbath and today we live in a world that is dominated by athiests who teach a theory of evolution that has been accepted by most of the major Sunday Churches--and some of their pastors aren't sure if God is alive or not.
I assume that "remember" in this case means to follow, to "rest" on Sabbath and maybe even have services on Saturday rather than on Sunday.

Christians do not follow Sabbath (therefore do not "remember" it). And yet, they do remember the Creator and the Creation very well.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:48 AM

553 posts, read 596,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
I assume that "remember" in this case means to follow, to "rest" on Sabbath and maybe even have services on Saturday rather than on Sunday.

Christians do not follow Sabbath (therefore do not "remember" it). And yet, they do remember the Creator and the Creation very well.
Some still do. As a teenager I was taken to a church where no one bothered bringing their Bibles. God was Out There Somewhere and we really didn't know a whole lot about Him--but we were Down Here on Earth and that was the focus. It was said of the first pastor that he got his sermons from the "Peanuts" comic strip. The next pastor was pretty cool: he told us we needed to go to the Moon to escape the Ice Age that was coming on the Earth. One of the houses of worship of that denomination was recently sold and is now a Bhuddist temple. I have been to many churches of many different denominations. Many churches that a hundred years ago stood firm on the Word of God today scarcely know what it is. There are only three books of the Bible they know how to find: Genesis is the first book of the Bible, Revelation is the last book of the Bible, and open the Bible in the middle and more often than not you'll be in Psalms.

Charles Darwin's grandfather began as the Reverand Erasmus Darwin. He was fired for preaching La Mark's Theory of Evolution from his pulpit and became a surgeon. After returning from his voyage on the HMS Beagle Charles Darwin merely presented a paper about evolution, but it was nearly twenty years before he would publish his book. During that time what would become the Seventh-day Adventist Church began raising the Question of the Sabbath and the various Churches of Protestant Christianity chose to stick with Sunday.

Then Darwin's book came out.

Previously the Churches had been able to contain theories of evolution within the intillectual circles, but now that they had officially rejected the Memorial to Creation the Churches were powerless to stop Charles Darwin's Theory of Evolution. By 1900 the men who had been young seminarians and pastors at the time Darwin's book came out were in positions of leadership in their denominations began replacing older, more Biblical seminary professors with those who believed in theistic evolution. Some denominations have been more resistant to this than have others, but even the Southern Baptists are in decline as another thread on this forum has stated.

It is not simply going to church on Saturday, but rather a keeping of the Sabbath holy that is needed. The Sabbath is a date with God. Whether this date with God is a joy and delight through Grace or a drudgery and monotony done for Works is up to you, but only if the Sabbath is a delight can we expect its blessing and stave off Evolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality