Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 05:28 PM

331 posts, read 547,700 times

Advertisements

"I started out as an evangelical Christian. I got interested in Biblical Studies because I was a fundamentalist as a late teenager. As I developed my scholarship through graduate school, I realized that my beliefs about the Bible were completely wrong, that the Bible is not some kind of inerrant revelation from God. For years I was a liberal Christian -- I still went to church, I still believed in God, but I didn't believe that the Bible was the inspired word of God. After many years of being a liberal Christian I finally became an agnostic for reasons unrelated to my scholarship, reason having to do with why there's suffering in the world if there's a God in control."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeFdhyuVyzI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 06:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Good vid. I'm glad my often-wonky connection let it play through.

He's a wise man.

I hope a certain CD Pastor watches it. And his fundamentalist cronies.

PS - I didn't name names.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:56 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Good vid. I'm glad my often-wonky connection let it play through.

He's a wise man.

I hope a certain CD Pastor watches it. And his fundamentalist cronies.

PS - I didn't name names.
To me the most wonderful thing he said was when he was talking about how he no longer needed to try to bring people to his point of view. Just wanted to make them think.

Quote:
The unexamined life is not worth living...........
Socrates

Quote:
The unexamined faith is not worth having...................
Elton Trueblood

Old 06-02-2014, 12:47 AM

641 posts, read 558,096 times
I owe a good percentage of my deconversion to Ehrman.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:04 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,805 times
I am a Christian, but have no disagreement whatsoever with his choice to believe as he pleases. The Bill of Rights gives each of us the right to choose our religious beliefs or the right not to believe. IMO it is great that that there is an increasing diversity of views regarding religion these days and more tolerance.

Last edited by chessgeek; 06-02-2014 at 01:18 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 01:33 PM

48 posts, read 49,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
"I started out as an evangelical Christian. I got interested in Biblical Studies because I was a fundamentalist as a late teenager. As I developed my scholarship through graduate school, I realized that my beliefs about the Bible were completely wrong, that the Bible is not some kind of inerrant revelation from God. For years I was a liberal Christian -- I still went to church, I still believed in God, but I didn't believe that the Bible was the inspired word of God. After many years of being a liberal Christian I finally became an agnostic for reasons unrelated to my scholarship, reason having to do with why there's suffering in the world if there's a God in control."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeFdhyuVyzI
Nothing wrong with Christianity, most study scripture remembering verse and chapters.
These are intellectuals. The bible is beautiful if you don't study it, just scan it and you will see what is for you in this moment.
Scripture says, "The letter killeth". The spirit of the word giveth life. Not the letter.
I hope you can understand a little better now.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:03 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc1 View Post
I owe a good percentage of my deconversion to Ehrman.
I had been an atheist for decades before first encountering Ehrman in the '90's. I cannot credit him for my disbelief in a deity, but his works did alter my thinking regarding who Jesus was and what his intentions were.

I had developed the idea that while Jesus was no god of any sort, he was an idealistic philosopher with a formula for improving life which centered on civility and self sacrifice. There wasn't a huge distinction between Jesus and the peace/love/dove counter culture folk of the '60s and '70's.

Ehrman's evidence based approach, along with my reading of the Josephus books, led me to change that opinion and I now interpret Jesus as what Ehrman says he was...an apocalyptic prophet who came to believe that he spoke for god, and that his purpose was to prepare the world for the very near destruction of life as everyone knew it, in favor of replacement by the Kingdom of Heaven where the roles would be reversed. The poor, the powerless and the downtrodden would be elevated while the rich, powerful and corrupt would be cast into suffering.

It made sense of Christianity for me where it had baffled me before. Only if you believe that corporal life on earth is but a prelude to an eternal existence where rewards and punishments are distributed on the basis of how well you behaved while alive, does the life of severe sacrifice and passive reaction to the exploitations of others, make any sense.

I've read four of Ehrman's books and I am indebted to him for greatly expanding my knowledge of the gospels and what went into their creation.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:32 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Default VIDEO: Bart Ehrman explains his personal beliefs and de-conversion from Christianity

The fundamentalists and 100% Bible believers are not exposed to the extensive scholarship available about the Bible and its contents. That is how they can maintain their belief that it is ALL the inerrant and infallible word of God in contravention to ALL reason, logic and evidence. They refuse to even entertain the reality and the "sausage-making" that produced what they use today in blind ignorance of its genesis. They credit this attitude to faith in God and are immune to the truth that is widely available. Those who promote this fiction about the Bible are IMO either evil or misguided . . . thinking they are promoting something worthwhile (kind of like "lying for God.") It is the sad result of thinking that an inerrant and infallible Bible is needed to support belief in God. It is not!

Old 06-02-2014, 04:23 PM

59 posts, read 72,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The fundamentalists and 100% Bible believers are not exposed to the extensive scholarship available about the Bible and its contents. That is how they can maintain their belief that it is ALL the inerrant and infallible word of God in contravention to ALL reason, logic and evidence. They refuse to even entertain the reality and the "sausage-making" that produced what they use today in blind ignorance of its genesis. They credit this attitude to faith in God and are immune to the truth that is widely available. Those who promote this fiction about the Bible are IMO either evil or misguided . . . thinking they are promoting something worthwhile (kind of like "lying for God.") It is the sad result of thinking that an inerrant and infallible Bible is needed to support belief in God. It is not!
Hurrah ,I have written this so many times ,but when your perspective of God is so narrow,the slightest
change becomes a threat.It means that it is "on stony ground ".
Many people in the world have, and have had a relationship with God simply through living 'holy lives' in tune with God's laws and then He reveals himself to them. The shrillness of some evangelicals is a sure sign of non believe at bottom.
Having said All That, as a late comer to most of the old testament ,I find it fascinating..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality