Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:44 PM

10,104 posts, read 5,771,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Jeff, you really should give it up. With every post you reveal your ignorance about science. You are badly letting your side down.

If I believed everything I read on these forums then I would have the impression that every single atheist has a PHD in biology. What's your credentials?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 07:29 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,712,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If I believed everything I read on these forums then I would have the impression that every single atheist has a PHD in biology. What's your credentials?
Oh Rifleman, where are you? Not all atheists have PHD's in Biology, but most biologists are atheists.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:37 PM

191 posts, read 519,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
So maybe you can just do a sketch?
You know what is said about a picture and a thousand words?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The graphic says it all:

Attachment 131019

You are Not opening your mind. Evolution does Not negate the fact that divine being created man. Their were humans that evolved from apes into modern human BUT while they were living, GOD made Adam And Eve and separated them by putting them into the garden of Eden. After they sinned they were cast out of the garden of Eden. After awhile their offspring procreated with the humans already living on earth.

What is so difficult to understand?

Old 06-09-2014, 08:56 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,959,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Ann View Post
You are Not opening your mind. Evolution does Not negate the fact that divine being created man. Their were humans that evolved from apes into modern human BUT while they were living, GOD made Adam And Eve and separated them by putting them into the garden of Eden. After they sinned they were cast out of the garden of Eden. After awhile their offspring procreated with the humans already living on earth.

Errrr.... because there is no empirical indication, never mind proof, of an omnipotent, sentient being that worries about humans in this little speck of the universe.

We are insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

This image of Earth, captured by NASA's Voyager 1 at a distance of more than 4 billion miles.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:33 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,460,118 times
Quote:
Difference between your examples and evolution is that your examples are observable in the present. Unless you have a film camera documenting the varying stages of human evolution and hominid species through thousands of year then you can not state with 100% certainly that man evolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Why don't apply the same standard of evidence to your religious beliefs? There is infinitely more evidence for evolution than for god.
You completely ignored my question and went on a bizarre uneducated rant.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:53 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,959,569 times
Quote:
Well, welcome back.

I assume that you now accept that the bible was wrong in its prophecy that the Nile would dry up.

I'm sure you looked up those passages you asked for, didn't you?

Old 06-10-2014, 07:04 AM

6,321 posts, read 4,340,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Ann View Post

What's difficult to understand is why a person - you, for instance - would go through life relying on, depending upon, and believing the empirical world.

At least until religion is involved.

Then you set aside reason, logic, and everything you know about how the world works in order to believe that a supernatural entity magically created Adam and Eve out of a pile of dirt and a rib and placed them in a beaucolic paradise complete with magical forbidden fruit, talking snakes, and a roaming demon prince.

In any other context, such a story would be a cutesy etiology you tell young children until they're old enough to understand science at best, or utter and complete lunacy at worst. Because the rest of your life is not circumscribed by Bronze Age magic tricks and primitive superstition. Only religion seems to rot the brain to the magnitude of actually believing in this bunk.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:09 AM

10,104 posts, read 5,771,750 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty well been proven, evolution is real, but then, you don't understand that science.

Funny how atheists like present evolution as if it is this great secret knowledge that Christians are just incapable of obtaining. You do realize that there are Christians who are scientists? Richard Smalley is one example of a scientist who absolutely did not believe in evolution.

Richard Smalley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

Where is the archaeological or written record, outside of the bible, that millions of Jews lived in Egypt as slaves, and then wandered around for a substantial period of time in the Sinai?

It just doesn't exist.
So you are saying man has basically searched every square inch of the area and found nothing, right? That's the only way you can state as fact that no evidence exists. Is there evidence of other kinds of slaves in Egypt? and I do believe that the Exodus was a great embarrassment for Pharaoh. Why should I think he would allow historians to keep detailed records of this great embarrassing defeat?

Quote:

Get to know your bible.

Ezekiel 30:12, Isaiah 19:5, and indirectly, in Zechariah.
Sorry, but those verses are not a slam dunk for you. Several things to consider:

1. The fact that the Bible names the exact ruler who will attack and siege Egypt. Came true. Of course, you won't give credit when the Bible is accurate about prophecy.

2. Is the Bible speaking metaphorically to convey the message that God would cause great economic disaster to Egypt? The Nile was very important for commerce.

3. You suggest that the passages are saying the Nile River will dry up completely and be barren forever. It doesn't say that. It could be referring to a drought which is enough to have a drastic impact. We do know there have been droughts in Africa which could have impacted the Nile as well.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Actually, I don't think anyone here cares if you believe what they're saying on this forum. What would be nice, however, if you believed an actual treatise written about evolution by Ph.Ds.

Either you haven't ... or you won't. Either way, your belief in superstition has you in such a tight grip that it wouldn't matter if all of us here were, in fact, Ph.D. holding scientists from Ivy League schools holding Nobel Prizes and conducting ground-breaking research in our fields.

You'd still say you know better than they about biology, genetics, zoology, anatomy, and so on.

An ancient book written by superstitious and fearful Bronze Age goatherders somehow, in your mind, trumps completely the cutting-edge scientific developments of the 21st Century.

But ONLY when it comes to evolution, conveniently enough ... and of course they are 100% wrong. Perfectly imperfect, as it were.

Like your pal Gail Ann, you too, for some inexplicable reason, have managed to be drawn into an apologetic's cult. Your literal interpretation of the Bible is shared only by a small minorty even in this overly religious nation. Hell even the Pope has declared evolution to be true and the Vatican, especially the previous pope, is not known for its liberal religious views.

You seem like an intelligent person in all ways except when it comes to superseding science with superstition, a minority view even among the religious, but more importantly because you are unlikely to view the rest of the world through the lens of magic. It is truly baffling sometimes how anyone can truly believe unequivocally that the Bible is a history book.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Funny how atheists like present evolution as if it is this great secret knowledge that Christians are just incapable of obtaining. You do realize that there are Christians who are scientists? Richard Smalley is one example of a scientist who absolutely did not believe in evolution.
Polling data shows that less than 5% of relevant scientists do not accept evolution. Of those 5%, 4.999% are Americans. Do American scientists have some secret knowledge they are not sharing with their foreign colleagues? Or can their lack of acceptance of evolution be passed of as a cultural bias - being from a nation steeped in religion?

Quote:
So you are saying man has basically searched every square inch of the area and found nothing, right? That's the only way you can state as fact that no evidence exists.
No, we can say no evidence exists because, according to Christians, God is everywhere and frequently performs miracles, talks to his believers, influences lives, dictates the flow of events, and makes himself known all the time. Isn't that why they keep saying there really IS evidence but atheists just refuse to see it? Except there isn't any. Now, if the whole idea behind Christianity was to search the universe for a God hiding in a cigar box sitting on the surface of, perhaps Kepler 13 or maybe Kapetyn's b, or no, maybe he's hiding on WASP 82 b, assuming he's on a planet we've even found yet. Maybe if he was playing that kind of a game, then you would have a more solid argument.

Quote:
Is there evidence of other kinds of slaves in Egypt? and I do believe that the Exodus was a great embarrassment for Pharaoh. Why should I think he would allow historians to keep detailed records of this great embarrassing defeat?
Why would you assume only Pharaoh knew about his embarrassing defeat? Word leaks out ... traders and merchants who were in Egypt at the time would bring stories of Egypt's massive defeat and the Hebrew's subsequent miraculous escape back to their homelands. But not a word of it, not one peep, is mentioned anywhere else but in the Bible.

Quote:
Sorry, but those verses are not a slam dunk for you. Several things to consider:
Of course, if the Nile HAD dried up, you would be using those verses as a slam dunk for YOUR side. When a prophesy doesn't come true, then suddenly the verses are interpreted in a completely different way than if the prophesy had come true. Interesting, that. It's why prophesy is a poor predictor of the future. It's like a weatherman predicting, "We're going to have weather on Tuesday," and when it rains on Tuesday, he comes back and says, "See? I told you!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality