Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:58 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,152,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Yes - that is their contention - that they are "entitled" to speak in public places - even if that public place is across the street from a funeral.

They finally DID pass a law that the Westies have to stay a certain number of feet away - but I think their right to freedom of speech does not supercede common sense decency.
I guess I've never understood some of this. This example is not really comparable, but though I attend a public university, I don't understand why we can't refuse to have speakers such as Fred Phelps speak on campus. Can't the administration still decide, ultimately, who is allowed to speak/preach on the campus grounds and who isn't? I don't know; maybe there are all kinds of other implications I'm not thinking of. But it seems like people ought to be able to get the Westboro lunatics to stay away from their relatives' funerals as well, that they should have a right to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 09:10 AM

969 posts, read 2,858,390 times
Here is their next scheduled appearance - anyone near Broken Bow, NE??:

12/22/200712:15 PM - 1:00 PMBroken Bow, NEBroken Bow City Auditorium 314 S. 10th Ave. This is for the funeral of Michael B. Doheny. 1 Corinthians 16:22 If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha. Jeremiah 20:3 And it came to pass on the morrow, that Pashur brought forth Jeremiah out of the stocks. Then said Jeremiah unto him, The LORD hath not called thy name Pashur, but Magormissabib. 4 For thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will make thee a terror to thyself, and to all thy friends: and they shall fall by the sword of their enemies, and thine eyes shall behold it: and I will give all Judah into the hand of the king of Babylon, and he shall carry them captive into Babylon, and shall slay them with the sword.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:07 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,947,647 times
Well -- to stir the pot...

The hate speech laws passed in Canada that so many Christians are railing against (anit-gay speach not preached within the confines of a church building/function are considered hate speech) would put an end to them.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:11 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,897,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I guess I've never understood some of this. This example is not really comparable, but though I attend a public university, I don't understand why we can't refuse to have speakers such as Fred Phelps speak on campus. Can't the administration still decide, ultimately, who is allowed to speak/preach on the campus grounds and who isn't? I don't know; maybe there are all kinds of other implications I'm not thinking of. But it seems like people ought to be able to get the Westboro lunatics to stay away from their relatives' funerals as well, that they should have a right to do so.
They have a protected right to peaceable assembly: what they're doing may be irritating, but as long as they aren't violent, disrupting classes, or disturbing the peace in some way, there's not a whole lot that can be done.

The administration can *ask* them to leave, however: if they then refuse, they are officially trespassing and can be removed by force.

In the case of the Westborough Baptist 'Church', they overstep their bounds most seriously when they disrupt a funeral -- they are disrupting peaceful assembly, trespassing, disturbing the peace, and they also face charges of harassment (since they usually protest 'at' anyone that comes near the funeral).

Last edited by FredNotBob; 12-29-2007 at 03:18 AM.. Reason: Edited to add additional examples.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:48 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,638,122 times
This is what happens when you have autonomous churches. What do other Baptists think of this Baptist church?

Old 12-30-2007, 01:50 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,897,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
This is what happens when you have autonomous churches. What do other Baptists think of this Baptist church?
The WBC split from the Southern Baptist Convention a long time ago -- and no Baptist insititution presently recognizes or accepts the WBC as a Bible-believing fellowship.

The late Jerry Falwell was noted for regularly and openly calling Fred Phelps a 'first-class nut', as well as being very vocal in denouncing Phelps' behavior as hateful and un-Christian.

From a purely judicial standpoint -- Phelps' actions have earned him the status of persona non grata up here in Canada -- if he attempts to enter the country, he'll be arrested for hate-speech.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,441 times
Default Westboro Baptist Church

Hi Everyone;
I just want to say that I'm from the Baptist religion, and no way do we behave like those people do. I'm from Pennsylvania and recently in a nearby town, a house fire cost the lives of 10 people. There were some worries that they were going to come and picket the funeral. There was a flyer sent out that said God Hates Pennsylvania! Can you imagine? I think they like using the Lords name strictly for their own purpose. AS for gay people, although, I don't agree with it, they have their right to choose for themselves too without being persecuted for it. These signs that they carry around that say Gad hates America? MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:32 AM

285 posts, read 536,093 times
It is very interesting to me that christians get upset about the Westboro church, they actually have a much better understanding of the god of the bible, who was mean and commanded genocide, murder, rape, slavery and so on.

Why are you christians so bothered about the things they do, really they are much more in line with the bibles idea of god anyways.

I know that is not PC, and the PC god loves and all that stuff, never the less you cant escape the god of the bible and all the mean stuff he did.

rejoice in it .

Old 04-08-2008, 10:43 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,465,903 times
they are not going to move to another country because america is one of the few countires that will provide them the liberties to be as publicly ignorant as they are. merely a parasite.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:44 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,502,486 times
It would be ironic if Jesus (if he actually existed) turned out to be a homosexual. Certainly, Christ’s universal message of love cannot be true unless it embraces all mankind, and not just a few self-righteous bigots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality