Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:03 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The op said the pastor was going to have a "discussion in his own head". I assume that means he wasn't asking him to listen to anything.

If the op knew that it would give his wife some comfort for him not to have said no to that, then yeah, I think that would've been a nice thing to do.
lying gives comfort to many, and causes destruction.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:07 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
lying gives comfort to many, and causes destruction.
How would it have been lying?

He wasn't asked if he believed this or that or the other thing. Just, "May I pray for you?" So, unless the scenario was such that it was an obvious pressure play by the wife and/or pastor, allowing someone to pray for you isn't lying.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:

He wasn't asked if he believed this or that or the other thing. Just, "May I pray for you?" So, unless the scenario was such that it was an obvious pressure play by the wife and/or pastor, allowing someone to pray for you isn't lying.
Because "Yes, I want you to pray over me and try to convert me in my desperate time" would have been lying.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:34 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
And if a person doesn't speak up in this situation, s/he runs the risk of being part of the narrative that says everyone converts in the end (or in times of distress) in all of the clergy member's future stories.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:04 PM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
How often do we see on social media when someone is sick or a family member is, the phrase, "I'll pray for you"?

Don't ever say that to me. It means you want to have a conversation with yourself, and frankly, that does me no good. I don't care if you think some sky fairy is listening, it does nothing, nothing for me. If I am not under medical care, get me some. If I am, do something that will help me or my family, but don't give lip service to whoever you think might be holy.

I was in the hospital for 3.5 months some years ago. My ex was religious, and she brought her pastor in. He asked if he could pray for me... I said, "No". My ex was furious at me, telling me her pastor said he had never been told no, and felt insulted.

Tough. I felt insulted that he would presume I wanted some discussion with in his mind that he thought would help. I'm not a hypocrite, and those that presume they are doing me some good, aren't. They are imagining that their utterances do something; they don't.

So the next time you get an urge to say, "I'll pray for you", don't. Instead, ask what you can do to help that individual or his/her family. If it makes him feel good, he/she will ask you to pray for them. You both can revel in your fantasies, but don't presume.

Do. Not.Pray.For.Me.

Do something useful instead.
I would say, "no thanks" which at least acknowledges that they mean well and that you don't take offense. I don't see a reason to be offended, frankly. Annoyed or bemused, but not offended.

I might also say, "sure, if it makes you feel better, but what would really be helpful is X" -- if you think there is something they can do and would be willing to do for you.

On the other hand it's bothersome to me that this pastor had never heard "no" in his entire career; I'll admit that it illustrates the unearned respect and deference that has automatically gone to parsons since before dirt was invented. It does sound like he over-reacted, and from what you've said in relating this story in the past, your ex wife also over-reacted right out of your life. So if there was any disrespect here, it was more on their side than on yours, I'd say. And far more intended.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:08 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:

Then why didn't they just pray for him? I say the refuah shlema for people all the time, but I don't tell them unless they're religious and I know they would appreciate me using their Hebrew name. It's just more good vibes out into the ether for everyone else. If it's working, it will work without me ever telling the person I am praying for. And they know I care because more importantly, I'm at their door with medically appropriate, palatable, freezable meals.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:10 PM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
IMO, there is no need to ask a person if they want you to pray for them at the risk of insulting them. If you feel they need your prayers then do it in silence..without making an announcement.
It's true that asking this could be attention-seeking behavior but it is usually just that many believers take being led in prayer as comforting, and they probably tend to believe that a holy man's prayers are more efficacious.

I think if the intention is to provide comfort and camaraderie to the person who is ill, the Biblical "pray in secret" dictum doesn't really apply.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:08 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
If there ever was any doubt that preconceptions bias perceptions and the interpretation of events . . . this thread should remove all doubt.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:11 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Sort of like when I told my M-I-L the Apple turnovers were delicious, to please my wife as she mentioned I never spoke about her Mom's cooking.

The result was from then on for 25 years every time we ate at M-I-L's house I had to smile and force down 3 of the world's worse turn overs.

Would have been better if I had just stayed quiet and not put on a false front to please my wife.
Hahahahaha! Serves you right Woodrow.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:19 PM

153 posts, read 150,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Ummm .... the only thing the OP did was tell the pastor "no."

It was the wife who "claimed" that the pastor was insulted - but more than likely, she was just embarrassed and wanted to shame her husband.

But all the OP did was tell the pastor "no."

That's it.

So giving him a hard time about "treating the pastor and his wife the way he did" is patently absurd.

Oh, and speaking of misplaced anger, are you -really- angry that the OP supposedly treated everyone poorly by not succumbing to prayers and ritual? Or ... are you just pissed off that a person has the temerity to not believe in Bronze Age mythology in the 21st Century and then had the courage to stand by his convictions?
It is very evident that you have very little knowledge of history and societies .Bronze age indeed .

But unlike the other christians here I would never pray for someone who is an avowed atheist,and certainly not even for those who are less so ,because first it is intrusive,and second it does no good at all,
as prayers for people you do not love,and have no investment in do not 'connect'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.