Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 05:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
So, you are stating that God cannot change his mind, and that you know the mind of your God?
I have yet to meet a fundamentalist who didn't know his/her God's mind.

It's uncanny.

HAY!*

You don't suppose they know how their God thinks because they created him in their own image....?

*As a professional writer, I am allowed - nay, even occasionally encouraged - to take liberties with the language.

And still respect it in the morning.

Please - don't try this at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 05:13 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Can somebody please cite a credible source for "a race of humans that regularly sacrificed their own babies in fires to their pagan gods?"

Which civilization made a practice of "attack from behind to kill the weak and elderly?"
Its either jihad or American internal policy.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I have yet to meet a fundamentalist who didn't know his/her God's mind.

It's uncanny.

I find it weirdly fascinating. They know God's mind. They believe visiting mind-readers at the county fair is a sin. They can't can't tell anyone what numbers will win the lottery. They get in car accidents because they don't know that the driver in front of them is going to jam on the brakes.

But they know how God thinks. And they're never, ever wrong.

If I knew God's mind I'd use His wisdom to cure cancer. I guess that's not on their list.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-29-2014 at 05:57 PM..

Old 08-29-2014, 05:38 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No. God has already stated that murder is wrong. He will not contradict himself and state that it is ok.

The word murder is deeper than killing.
What we are forgetting is that the law is the curse. The knowledge of Sin. Only one is above the law.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
The word murder is deeper than killing.
What we are forgetting is that the law is the curse. The knowledge of Sin. Only one is above the law.
None are above the law.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:30 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Did you not catch what I said about God making humans? Just as the potter makes the clay? God created you...of course he has the right to tell you what to do, and he can do with you what he wants.
Did you not get it? It went right over your head didn't it. Again the above is just your subjective opinion. You saying that your morality is from God or that morality is from God is still a man made morality - Vizio's opinion of morality. So since you agree that no man's opinion is more valid than any others - how is your 'god morality' any more valid?

Furthermore, you just basically said 'might is right' - which I am sure if you thought about it you would disagree.

I did not expect you to get it. This type of morality actually blinds people and makes them immune to reason and any moral integrity.

Oh well!

Old 08-30-2014, 05:18 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Please be aware folks....when a bunch of people jump on me, I may miss some. It happens. I have a real life outside of C-D. Sometimes I'm not on.

Did you not catch what I said about God making humans? Just as the potter makes the clay? God created you...of course he has the right to tell you what to do, and he can do with you what he wants.
I just love the Potter analogy.

Mrs Arq and I joined a pottery class and we learned something called 'clay remembers' and what this means is that you form clay in a particular way and you cannot force it to behave in a different way if you discover that you fouled up in the making.

If the pot turns out wrong it is nobody's fault but the potter's.

Thus the 'potter' reasoning is the old one - God is the big boss and can do whatever he likes and you have no business to criticize, complain or even protest when he blames you for his mistakes. It is a very HUMAN dictator's tendency to pass the buck onto subordinates from everyone from Napoleon to Margaret Thatcher.

It stinks; and don't ever get the idea that 'can the pot complain' is anything but a particularly loathsome example of why Bible-based morality is nothing like as good as humanist.

Quote:
No. God has already stated that murder is wrong. He will not contradict himself and state that it is ok.

Unless he does it - or arranges it.
Acts 5. 9 Peter said to her, “How could you conspire to test the Spirit of the Lord? Listen! The feet of the men who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out also.” 10 At that moment she fell down at his feet and died. Then the young men came in and, finding her dead, carried her out and buried her beside her husband. 11 Great fear seized the whole church and all who heard about these events.

That's always been my favourite example of disgusting brute immorality in the NT.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:27 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Did you not get it? It went right over your head didn't it. Again the above is just your subjective opinion. You saying that your morality is from God or that morality is from God is still a man made morality - Vizio's opinion of morality. So since you agree that no man's opinion is more valid than any others - how is your 'god morality' any more valid?

Furthermore, you just basically said 'might is right' - which I am sure if you thought about it you would disagree.

I did not expect you to get it. This type of morality actually blinds people and makes them immune to reason and any moral integrity.

Oh well!
I think you're intentionally avoiding understanding. Seriously. I never said "might is right". I said "ownership is right". Do you not comprehend that? We don't think God was wandering along one day and found Earth...and decided to just start dominating us. No...he created us and he owns us.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:28 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I just love the Potter analogy.

Mrs Arq and I joined a pottery class and we learned something called 'clay remembers' and what this means is that you form clay in a particular way and you cannot force it to behave in a different way if you discover that you fouled up in the making.

If the pot turns out wrong it is nobody's fault but the potter's.

Thus the 'potter' reasoning is the old one - God is the big boss and can do whatever he likes and you have no business to criticize, complain or even protest when he blames you for his mistakes. It is a very HUMAN dictator's tendency to pass the buck onto subordinates from everyone from Napoleon to Margaret Thatcher.

It stinks; and don't ever get the idea that 'can the pot complain' is anything but a particularly loathsome example of why Bible-based morality is nothing like as good as humanist.

Unless he does it - or arranges it.
Acts 5. 9 Peter said to her, “How could you conspire to test the Spirit of the Lord? Listen! The feet of the men who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out also.” 10 At that moment she fell down at his feet and died. Then the young men came in and, finding her dead, carried her out and buried her beside her husband. 11 Great fear seized the whole church and all who heard about these events.

That's always been my favourite example of disgusting brute immorality in the NT.
You are completely incapable of even declaring what morality is or why you have the right to judge any other man...yet you are accusing God of brute immorality. I find that amazing. It's like the blind leading the blind.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
...snip... I find that amazing. It's like the blind leading the blind.
Yes, it is, Pastor.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality