Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 06:31 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I can't understand why atheists are so passionately defensive of a race of humans that regularly sacrificed their own babies in fires to their pagan gods. People who were such scum that they would attack from behind to kill the weak and elderly. Evil of that magnitude should be wiped out, but they are the good guys in your world?

And there is nothing in the passage that says virgins were kept as sex slaves.
Can somebody please cite a credible source for "a race of humans that regularly sacrificed their own babies in fires to their pagan gods?"

Which civilization made a practice of "attack from behind to kill the weak and elderly?"

Old 08-28-2014, 07:06 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Can somebody please cite a credible source for "a race of humans that regularly sacrificed their own babies in fires to their pagan gods?"

Which civilization made a practice of "attack from behind to kill the weak and elderly?"
I believe it is acepted as true that the Phoenecians and Carthaginians sacrificed children to Moloch, though it cannot be ruled out that this might just have been roman anti -Punic propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 10:55 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I believe it is acepted as true that the Phoenecians and Carthaginians sacrificed children to Moloch, though it cannot be ruled out that this might just have been roman anti -Punic propaganda.
Which has nothing to do with what Jeffbase40 claimed, that the Midianites sacrificed children, does it?

I'm still waiting to see if he has gone back to his bible study to show us where it may indicate, never mind actually say, that what he claimed was so.

This atheist is overwhelmed at the amount of times he must educate fundamentalists as to what the bible really, really says, as opposed to the stuff that is either spewed from the pulpits, or believed by the masses that listen to the spewing and take it as truth, as opposed to checking things for themselves.

Well, Jeffbase40, what say you?

Old 08-28-2014, 11:42 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I see. Your god said it was OK, so that is what you teach your parishioners. Some morality that is. Killing babies, OK, keep virgins for your own pleasure, also OK.

Yes. If you're an ancient Israelite living under the Mosaic Law, I wholeheartedly agree that it is ok to keep a Caananite virgine to be your wife.
Quote:
Once again, Vizio the pastor, shows us how seminary school teaches to answer questions. You don't. You just ask your own to try and deflect.

Nice teachings. Not honest, but nice teachings.
I'm not the one who has no idea of what morality is, and is unable to come up with a rational answer as to why we should condemn Hitler. That would be you, my friend.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Word of advice.
They are just luring you into an argument.
Their hearts are bitter and their fruit is sour.
All they want to do is bring you down with them.
I fully realize that. But we've just spent 39 pages finally establishing the fact that these guys have no idea what morality is. They can't define it, but they can sure tell you that God is evil in their eyes.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:52 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

But we've just spent 39 pages finally establishing the fact that these guys have no idea what morality is.
I suggest you change "these guys" to "I" and then you go find yourself a dictionary.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I suggest you change "these guys" to "I" and then you go find yourself a dictionary.
wow. That's clever. I never would have thought of such a smart comeback.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
wow. That's clever. I never would have thought of such a smart comeback.
Hmmmm..... I see my suggestion that you learn something new was met with disdain.

Oh, well. I tried.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:03 PM

I looked up moral and morality in the dictionary. In none of the definitions or examples did the words objective or subjective appear.

Moral | Define Moral at Dictionary.com

concerning the principles or rules of right conduct; the distinction between right and wrong

Morality | Define Morality at Dictionary.com

conforming to the rules of right conduct; virtuous conduct

There. That's what morality is. Everybody on the forum can now use morality as they see fit.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Never mind, Dew. I found a dictionary online. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality