Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:26 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,113,541 times

Advertisements

In Genesis, (11; 1-7) we are told that "the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech." Then we learn that The Lord wants to "confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech." Then the Lord "scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth:"

What I take from this part of the Bible, is that it was God's intention to divide us, and that He leaves it up to us to come together and worship him regardless of the differences of language and culture. To me, it means that we are all God's children, and need to work together to overcome our differences, and find our common bond again. Instead of taking each other down, we should be building each other up. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 10:44 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times
I think it means a tribesman asked a priest or shaman in ancient times a question regarding why if God made all of us we could not all understand each other and the Tower of Bable story began to evolve to keep the Powers that Be the Powers that Be

Old 01-03-2008, 12:14 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
In Genesis, (11; 1-7) we are told that "the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech." Then we learn that The Lord wants to "confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech." Then the Lord "scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth:"

What I take from this part of the Bible, is that it was God's intention to divide us, and that He leaves it up to us to come together and worship him regardless of the differences of language and culture. To me, it means that we are all God's children, and need to work together to overcome our differences, and find our common bond again. Instead of taking each other down, we should be building each other up. Any thoughts?
First, let me make clear that I believe the Bible and believe it is the word of God. So, therefore, I do believe the incident at the Tower of Babal did occur. As I understand this account, yes, at one time all humans spoke the same language. However, mankind was instructed well before Babel to be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. This was not happening. Mankind was disobeying God (again) by remaining in the same region. They also were dishonoring God by constructing the tower with "heaven" at the top, or their representation of it. It appears to me they felt invincible and felt they didn't need God. I don't believe God "wanted" to confuse their language, but by so doing, it did provide the mechanism for the people to do what they were told to do previously. Once the single language was confused into many, the people re-grouped according to language and then these groups dispersed to different parts of the world.

The understanding you have shared that you gained from this passage is understandable. Yes, I believe we are all one race, the human race. I believe we should love one another and try to understand one another and assist one another. I agree we should all come together to worship our Creator regardless of culture or language. I agree we should build each other up and not tear others down. This is one of the basic commands Jesus gives us, love others as we love ourselves. I see nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

However, the one part I do disagree with is that we're "all God's children". This is clearly not so. Only believers in the one, true God can claim that title (John 1:11-13). Jesus himself said there are those that do not belong to God, and therefore belong to the devil (John 8:42-47;). Even that being the case, we are still to love everyone as Jesus commanded us, because Jesus loved everyone first.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:12 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:

It's a very interesting understanding and very well may be.
Once a pastor explained to me his understanding. God saw how powerful a human race is when they all understand each other, when they all speak one language. He separated us, because otherwise we would destroy ourselves much quicker then we are destroying ourselves now. We would be so smart and so strong and so powerful that nothing good would come out of it.
I'm not sure I agree with the pastor, but it does resonate with me on some level.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:38 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,397 times
Quote:

didn't god do that because the people tried to build a tower to reach heaven? then god said "no way pal", so he made them all speak a different language so they couldn't communicate and coordinate their efforts as well?

or am i mixing that up with a different story?

if that is the story, i get from that an entirely different idea.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:48 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
It's a very interesting understanding and very well may be.
Once a pastor explained to me his understanding. God saw how powerful a human race is when they all understand each other, when they all speak one language. He separated us, because otherwise we would destroy ourselves much quicker then we are destroying ourselves now. We would be so smart and so strong and so powerful that nothing good would come out of it.
I'm not sure I agree with the pastor, but it does resonate with me on some level.
I could agree with that, and I couldn't.

On the one hand, it seems that every thing that comes along (inventions, scientific discoveries etc) gets used for something bad as much as it gets used for something good. So while we may have turned out smarter and more powerful; we would have surely used that to cause harm.

But on the other hand, there would be hope that reason would prevail and we would use that intelligence and channel it more to the good of mankind, than to fight over resources and political/religious ideas.

I disagree with this because different language is a pretty big communication barrier. And in any kind of relationship communication is one of the most important things one can have. So in the relationship of mankind, I see this as being one more barrier to overcoming our differences and in the end further isolating ourselves into groups and conglomerates.

Plus I see it as a subliminal way to say that we can't overcome anything or solve any problems on our own, which, while somewhat true; sets us up for failure right from the get go. If you are convinced that you are helpless and dependent, why try and overcome anything on your own?

Old 01-04-2008, 03:02 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
You actually believe that everyone on earth once spoke the same language and that we speak different langauges because of god? I'm not sure what to say to that.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:21 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
You actually believe that everyone on earth once spoke the same language and that we speak different langauges because of god? I'm not sure what to say to that.
hmmm, so for examples you believe in evolution and that human came from primates, which is well, who knows, very well could be, are you trying to say that primates were so "advanced" in their language skills that they developed all the languages we speak right now? yes, that's more "believable" then what we believe.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:34 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Quote:

This writing from your holy book would explain also why there are so many different names for the creator, would it not, it also would explain why we are all brothers and sisters in the same universe. osay

Old 01-04-2008, 06:42 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
The story of Babel adds meaning to the events of pentecost when those of different tongues understood each other as a result of God's spirit within them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality