Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 09:51 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,616 times

Advertisements

God is Love and emotions. (my theory)

Before we could see what “God is love” could mean, let’s look at what emotions mean.

The emotion of excitement for example. You heard that you are going on a trip. You picture that event in your mind and you “remember” from past experiences that it brought you pleasure. In anticipation of this pleasure, your body will trigger a physical response in your body (which we call “excitement”). Excitement is when your body is starting to feel hot, your heart starts to race… and you may feel other sensations, like pressure in your head (observe all the body’s sensations next time you feel excited).

So, first comes a thought (I am going on a trip). Second, the body triggers physical sensations. Which is called the emotion of excitement.

So, emotions are physical sensations triggered by the body in response to a thought (or in response to how things are, in response to the state of things.)

So then what is love?

When you say “I love you” what are you REALLY saying?

I think I love you means:

I am attached to you, so whatever makes you happy can make me happy and whatever is making you sad can make me sad.
I feel the urge to protect you from harm.
I feel the urge to offer comfort to you if you need it.
I want to do things to make you happy (because it brings me happiness)
I will feel pain if we get separated because we are attached and I have a need to be close to you.

So, when you feel all those urges when you’re thinking of a person, you label the collection of the urges as “I love you”.

So “I love you” is more of a promise to take care of the other, to do good to them, to be close to them. BUT, the body ALSO triggers a chemical reaction in your body and so you physically feel warm or some other sensations.

So, that’s why “love” is confusing. Some say it’s a commitment. And others say that it’s a feeling.

It’s a package deal. It’s a commitment, followed by a physical sensation.

A physical sensation – is part of the motivational system. When all is well, when things reached their desired state, it rewards you with the feeling of well being.

We are told that God is love.

My understanding is that it’s NOT an emotion. (But our reaction to this thing is an emotion.)

I believe that Love is a system which produces a desired state of things. A system has steps which bring things to a desired end.

So if God is love, then God is a system which pushes people to do things to reach a desired end. A desired end is the happiness for all (or most). So, in order to reach that state of things in the Universe, the God system has to push people to follow the steps of the system (in order to get there). (So it gives rules such as “love your neighbor as yourself”, “overcome evil with good”.) If all the people start to follow the steps of the system, ultimately they should reach the desired goal – happiness for all.

When the desired state of things is reached, the body will reward us with pleasurable sensations in the body, a feeling of well being.

So, some people describe their experiences when connecting to God or the Source. They say that all their worries and questions disappear. All they think is: all is well. And they feel content, they feel pleasure. Some interpret this as “they feel love”.

So God is love means that God is a system which pushes people to do things to reach the desired end. And as a result, the body triggers pleasurable sensations in our body which we associate with “love”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 10:29 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
God is Love and emotions. (my theory)

Before we could see what “God is love” could mean, let’s look at what emotions mean.

The emotion of excitement for example. You heard that you are going on a trip. You picture that event in your mind and you “remember” from past experiences that it brought you pleasure. In anticipation of this pleasure, your body will trigger a physical response in your body (which we call “excitement”). Excitement is when your body is starting to feel hot, your heart starts to race… and you may feel other sensations, like pressure in your head (observe all the body’s sensations next time you feel excited).

So, first comes a thought (I am going on a trip). Second, the body triggers physical sensations. Which is called the emotion of excitement.

So, emotions are physical sensations triggered by the body in response to a thought (or in response to how things are, in response to the state of things.)

So then what is love?

When you say “I love you” what are you REALLY saying?

I think I love you means:

I am attached to you, so whatever makes you happy can make me happy and whatever is making you sad can make me sad.
I feel the urge to protect you from harm.
I feel the urge to offer comfort to you if you need it.
I want to do things to make you happy (because it brings me happiness)
I will feel pain if we get separated because we are attached and I have a need to be close to you.

So, when you feel all those urges when you’re thinking of a person, you label the collection of the urges as “I love you”.

So “I love you” is more of a promise to take care of the other, to do good to them, to be close to them. BUT, the body ALSO triggers a chemical reaction in your body and so you physically feel warm or some other sensations.

So, that’s why “love” is confusing. Some say it’s a commitment. And others say that it’s a feeling.

It’s a package deal. It’s a commitment, followed by a physical sensation.

A physical sensation – is part of the motivational system. When all is well, when things reached their desired state, it rewards you with the feeling of well being.

We are told that God is love.

My understanding is that it’s NOT an emotion. (But our reaction to this thing is an emotion.)

I believe that Love is a system which produces a desired state of things. A system has steps which bring things to a desired end.

So if God is love, then God is a system which pushes people to do things to reach a desired end. A desired end is the happiness for all (or most). So, in order to reach that state of things in the Universe, the God system has to push people to follow the steps of the system (in order to get there). (So it gives rules such as “love your neighbor as yourself”, “overcome evil with good”.) If all the people start to follow the steps of the system, ultimately they should reach the desired goal – happiness for all.

When the desired state of things is reached, the body will reward us with pleasurable sensations in the body, a feeling of well being.

So, some people describe their experiences when connecting to God or the Source. They say that all their worries and questions disappear. All they think is: all is well. And they feel content, they feel pleasure. Some interpret this as “they feel love”.

So God is love means that God is a system which pushes people to do things to reach the desired end. And as a result, the body triggers pleasurable sensations in our body which we associate with “love”.
God is also said to be jealous. Would you like to eisegete that, as well?

Old 11-28-2014, 10:36 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,676,737 times
Are you speaking of a religious god or a more metaphorical god?

I agree that 'god' is love, but not in the manner you express. For the love is not just about what is pleasurable and good. One is to love the 'unlovable' as well.
When one can fully engage in unconditional love for all...that is god.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:32 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Love is action. Jesus died for our sins.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:50 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
It means someone hasn't read the Old Testemant, where God is clearly a violent, hateful, genocidal psychotic.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:58 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,947,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It means someone hasn't read the Old Testemant, where God is clearly a violent, hateful, genocidal psychotic.
It appears you haven't read it either nor can you spell it

Old 11-28-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
It appears you haven't read it either nor can you spell it
True.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:12 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
God is also said to be jealous. Would you like to eisegete that, as well?
Only those who are completely ignorant of human psychology and the FACT that jealousy is a human psychological WEAKNESS and not remotely GODLY . . . can accept our ignorant barbaric ancestors' belief about a jealous God.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:26 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
This seems like a "churchy" saying. Perhaps because many Christians probably don't possess the type of love they know that is in the world, usually though people of other faiths or philosophical backgrounds. So they have to account for the origin of this love: something separate from the people they know and interact with through church.

In other words, if you don't find it within yourself then you naturally account for it with an outside source.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
This seems like a "churchy" saying. Perhaps because many Christians probably don't possess the type of love they know that is in the world, usually though people of other faiths or philosophical backgrounds. So they have to account for the origin of this love: something separate from the people they know and interact with through church.

In other words, if you don't find it within yourself then you naturally account for it with an outside source.
Nonsense (and you know it)! Christians love and serve their fellow man. My church operates a free medical and dental clinic, an after-school kid's club for at-risk kids, a food bank, winter coat donations, Christmas presents for kids from poor families, etc., all funded and manned by Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality