Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 12:15 AM

874 posts, read 637,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I did see an actual baptism. I was maybe 4 years old and the baby was held over a baptismal font and sprinkled. I remember having a childish concern that the infant would catch cold -- which was, relatively speaking, a relief, as I initially thought they were going to toss it into the water. <8-0
That is so funny. I would have thought the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 07:54 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,881,192 times
When I titled this thread I should of prefaced I'm an evangelical christian with a topping of messianic ( as a gentile). Via my ignorance on knowing the huge number of non Catholic faiths I presumed my list was share by most non Catholics. Wow! Nothing on my list had little bearing on salvation as just about
everyone agrees. We believe recognizing sin and repenting is
established at the age of reason not ss an infant.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:31 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,756,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
I'm a non-Catholic. I don't believe in the Trinity - that God is 3 persons.
I honestly don't know what all Catholics do believe. I don't believe that creation was done in 6 days, as we know days to be. I don't believe everybody in the world came from Adam and Eve. I don't believe in a global flood. I don't believe everybody in the world came from Noah and his 3 sons. I don't think Ham was black.

I don't believe that a woman should cover her head in church. I don't believe in communion. I don't believe in calling a man Father or Holy Father. I don't believe that confessing to a man clears you of your sins. I don't believe in the church's saints or that Mary was the mother of God. I don't think any of these people are special and I don't believe that praying to them is right, good, or helpful.

I pretty much disagree with most everything organized religion teaches.
You're not so terribly unusual as you might think. I'm a member of an organized religion and I'm bolding the items that I completely agree with you about. Some of it is my own personal opinion, some of it is accepted by everyone at my church.

As to whether all humanity descends from Adam and Eve, I'm leaning towards not believing that one anymore but I'm still trying to sort it out. I have absolutely no clue whether or not Ham was black. I'm not sure why it actually matters. I do believe in communion aka the sacrament of the Lord's supper, but I think I get where you're coming from on that. Eating some bread and drinking some wine are not in and of themselves meaningful. It only becomes meaningful when there is real spiritual intent behind it. God knows that us humans often need physical objects and ceremonies to focus better spiritually -- and therein lies the only true value of communion. If I eat and drink with no spiritual intent then all I've done is eat some bread and drink some wine and I might as well have saved time by doing it all at home. I agree with you about confession, though I think this too has it's uses. Sometimes, we need to talk about the bad things we've done, especially when they make a huge ugly mess. A minister or pastor can be a listening ear when a listening ear is needed, and that's a very valuable thing. He or she doesn't have the ability to forgive us for sins. That is 100% God's purview.

Your belief set isn't really all that unusual, though traditional Christians can get very amped up about much of it. Seems to me that you're a person who uses their head and comes to their own conclusions and that's a very good thing IMHO.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:35 PM

874 posts, read 637,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
You're not so terribly unusual as you might think. I'm a member of an organized religion and I'm bolding the items that I completely agree with you about. Some of it is my own personal opinion, some of it is accepted by everyone at my church.
I'm glad to hear that. For years, I was going against everything the churches taught me. I'm glad to see that things have changed in 40 years.

Quote:
As to whether all humanity descends from Adam and Eve, I'm leaning towards not believing that one anymore but I'm still trying to sort it out.
When I was 7, I went to Sunday School and they taught me that God planted a tree on a hill with different colored roads leading down from the tree and God gathered all the people under the tree. God said pick a road, and when the people did, they turned that color. And, that's were the races came from. I was 7 and not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but I knew that wasn't right. I went home and asked my dad. Dad got his Bible and told me to read creation carefully. When I was done, he asked me what I had read and what it had said and what was wrong with what I had read. On the sixth "day" (that was one of things wrong with the story), God created male and female, created He them. Then Creation was over. Done. No more.

Then sometime after Creation, God formed a man from the dust of the earth and called his name Adam. Right after Creation ends, there should have been a new paragraph separating Adam and Eve from creation. Since our Bible only follows one family, Adam and Eve and their descendants, and since the Bible is the genealogy of Jesus and since Jesus was a Jew, his ancestors had to be Jews (Hebrews), too. Then there was how Cain went into the land of Nod and knew his wife when Adam and Eve only had two children. Later, Seth came along, who is the ancestor of Jesus and then the Bible says Adam and Eve had sons and daughters.

Good luck in sorting it out. Don't give up.

Quote:
I have absolutely no clue whether or not Ham was black. I'm not sure why it actually matters.
That may have been a Southern thing. I heard someone else mention it in a post.

The Bible says that Ham was the "dark one". When Ham saw his father, Noah, passed out drunk and naked, Ham had his brothers walk backwards in to the tent and cover Noah with a cloth. This seems to be a very good thing to me. He was compassionate and concerned for his father as well as his two brothers. I don't know whether "nakedness" was a physical state or perhaps it meant "sin". Whether it means physical nakedness or whether it means sin, I tend to think that the point was Ham didn't want Noah to be humiliated by his sons seeing his sin and that the brothers did not need to see how human their father was.

Anyway, Southern churches taught that Ham was black - as in African. Probably because there weren't that many people in the South but Blacks and Whites.

God said that Ham and his descendants would be servants of man. Of course, it does not say what kind of servants. Perhaps God meant they would be doctors and nurses (whatever the equivalent was back then) or teachers or keepers of the moral conscience or whatever.

During the late 50s and early 60s, Southern church was all bent out of shape over the Civil Rights movement (good Christians that they were ). So they taught that Blacks were supposed to be domestics and 2nd class citizens because the Bible said so - id. est. Ham was black and God said Ham and his progeny would be servants. (sheesh)

Quote:
I do believe in communion aka the sacrament of the Lord's supper, but I think I get where you're coming from on that. Eating some bread and drinking some wine are not in and of themselves meaningful. It only becomes meaningful when there is real spiritual intent behind it. God knows that us humans often need physical objects and ceremonies to focus better spiritually -- and therein lies the only true value of communion. If I eat and drink with no spiritual intent then all I've done is eat some bread and drink some wine and I might as well have saved time by doing it all at home. I agree with you about confession, though I think this too has it's uses. Sometimes, we need to talk about the bad things we've done, especially when they make a huge ugly mess. A minister or pastor can be a listening ear when a listening ear is needed, and that's a very valuable thing. He or she doesn't have the ability to forgive us for sins. That is 100% God's purview.
Yes, I totally agree with this. I think you are very right. I think my problem with this came out of the church (Methodist) I was attending at the time. They only made a half-hearted attempt with the saltine cracker pieces and the grape juice. (You do know that Jesus didn't drink wine. They kept all that grape juice fresh for months without refrigeration. . Yep. That's what they taught us. [sorry, I just can't help myself ])

Quote:
Your belief set isn't really all that unusual, though traditional Christians can get very amped up about much of it. Seems to me that you're a person who uses their head and comes to their own conclusions and that's a very good thing IMHO.
Thank you. I really do appreciate it. It's not just the traditional Christians! Most Christians get very amped. I'm going against everything they were taught.

I revere the Holy Book, but we have to realize what it is and how much its been through. The message is there, but the black words on white paper leave a lot to be desired. There are so many mistakes, mis-translations, editing, and too many human hands have fondled it - some, perhaps, for personal gain. I think if we look for the message, the stories will work themselves out.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:41 AM

376 posts, read 490,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
. We believe recognizing sin and repenting is
established at the age of reason not ss an infant.
For Roman Catholics, and certain other denominations including 'high' Protestants such as Episcopalians, that is what Confirmation is for.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:28 PM

88,749 posts, read 85,140,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post
For Roman Catholics, and certain other denominations including 'high' Protestants such as Episcopalians, that is what Confirmation is for.
Yes. The vows said at Confirmation, at least in the Episcopal church, are the same as the vows said for Baptism.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:45 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,474,959 times
Apparently they don't believe in double negatives...

Old 01-03-2015, 06:10 PM

225 posts, read 162,397 times
Quote:
=openmike;37803320]To preface my list I have to say my list may be incomplete, and does not mean my list represents all non Catholics. I merely is
an attempt to clarify the differences that many find confusing. Catholics are Christians as they believe in Jesus Christ via faith
and His grace. We do not believe in......
1. The Eucharistic Feast
2. Infant Baptism
3. Catechism
4. Holy Orders
5. Papacy
6. Priesthood
7. Nuns
8. Levels/ Degrees of Sin
9 The mass
10.Extreme unction
11.The Rosary
12. Benediction
13. Beatification ( saint induction)
14. Relic adoration
15. Intercessory prayer (non Godhead mediators)
16. Requiem mass
17. Vigil lights
18. Incense / symbolic garb)
19. Statues ( unless Christ on cross)
20. Indulgences
21. Appiritions ( dedicated locations)
22. Confessionals
23. Nicea
24. Last rights ( if dead)
25. Holy water
26. Confirmation
27. Purgatory
28. Sacraments
29. Penance
30. Celebacy

So my friend, the first set of questions that comes to my[Catholic] mind is: Why Not?

Is not One True God the truth?

Can One God have more than One set of Faith beliefs on long defined issues?

How Many Church [s] Did Christ Found and want?

If Christ didn't give the only [and all of] the Key's to heavens access [which the bible clearly shows that He did.. Mt. 10: 1-8 ; Mt. 16:15-19 ; John 17:11-26; Mt. 28: 16-20: Eph. 4: 1-7 & Eph. 2: 18-22.... to list but a few bits of bible evidece All back up by historical evidence.

Could [would] Christianity exist today were it not for the pre-existence of the Catholic Church?

Does non-Catholic Christianity make void: Mt. 16:18-19 " [18] And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. [19] And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven."

For those who may not know; the terms "to bind and to loose" here have TWO meanings:

1. They were terms of power and authority granted for "unlimited governance" of this New Church [singular] Eph. 4:1-7

2. It also can be understood as support of John 2019-23 and the granted Power and Authority to forgive in Christ name; man's sins.

And finally: could God or would ANY new "business" founder establish a new enterprise and not make accommodations and put into place a structure that could insure its successful growth far into the future?

God Bless you, I await a reply,

Patrick

Old 01-03-2015, 07:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,249,356 times
Catholics come in a few different flavours too.

Not as many as Protestants. But there's several varieties. I think Mama Church (as she likes to think of herself) is trying to broaden her umbrella. So it doesn't make much nevermind* to most Catholics if you don't quite believe what the guy in the next pew believes about certain doctrinal issues.

*For GCSTroop.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,975,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
To preface my list I have to say my list may be incomplete, and does not mean my list represents all non Catholics. I merely is
an attempt to clarify the differences that many find confusing. Catholics are Christians as they believe in Jesus Christ via faith
and His grace. We do not believe in......
1. The Eucharistic Feast
2. Infant Baptism
3. Catechism
4. Holy Orders
5. Papacy
6. Priesthood
7. Nuns
8. Levels/ Degrees of Sin
9 The mass
10.Extreme unction
11.The Rosary
12. Benediction
13. Beatification ( saint induction)
14. Relic adoration
15. Intercessory prayer (non Godhead mediators)
16. Requiem mass
17. Vigil lights
18. Incense / symbolic garb)
19. Statues ( unless Christ on cross)
20. Indulgences
21. Appiritions ( dedicated locations)
22. Confessionals (individual confession optional, there is a group confessional in the liturgy)
23. Nicea
24. Last rights ( if dead)
25. Holy water
26. Confirmation
27. Purgatory
28. Sacraments (but just baptism and communion)
29. Penance
30. Celebacy

I am an ELCA (liberal) Lutheran. I have bolded what the church officially believes in/practices. I put "The mass" in blue, as we do believe in a weekly service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality