Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 09:49 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,888,277 times

Advertisements

To preface my list I have to say my list may be incomplete, and does not mean my list represents all non Catholics. I merely is
an attempt to clarify the differences that many find confusing. Catholics are Christians as they believe in Jesus Christ via faith
and His grace. We do not believe in......
1. The Eucharistic Feast
2. Infant Baptism
3. Catechism
4. Holy Orders
5. Papacy
6. Priesthood
7. Nuns
8. Levels/ Degrees of Sin
9 The mass
10.Extreme unction
11.The Rosary
12. Benediction
13. Beatification ( saint induction)
14. Relic adoration
15. Intercessory prayer (non Godhead mediators)
16. Requiem mass
17. Vigil lights
18. Incense / symbolic garb)
19. Statues ( unless Christ on cross)
20. Indulgences
21. Appiritions ( dedicated locations)
22. Confessionals
23. Nicea
24. Last rights ( if dead)
25. Holy water
26. Confirmation
27. Purgatory
28. Sacraments
29. Penance
30. Celebacy

Last edited by openmike; 12-28-2014 at 10:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 12:21 AM

874 posts, read 640,759 times
I'm a non-Catholic. I don't believe in the Trinity - that God is 3 persons.
I honestly don't know what all Catholics do believe. I don't believe that creation was done in 6 days, as we know days to be. I don't believe everybody in the world came from Adam and Eve. I don't believe in a global flood. I don't believe everybody in the world came from Noah and his 3 sons. I don't think Ham was black.

I don't believe that a woman should cover her head in church. I don't believe in communion. I don't believe in calling a man Father or Holy Father. I don't believe that confessing to a man clears you of your sins. I don't believe in the church's saints or that Mary was the mother of God. I don't think any of these people are special and I don't believe that praying to them is right, good, or helpful.

I pretty much disagree with most everything organized religion teaches.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,517,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
To preface my list I have to say my list may be incomplete, and does not mean my list represents all non Catholics. I merely is
an attempt to clarify the differences that many find confusing. Catholics are Christians as they believe in Jesus Christ via faith
1. The Eucharistic Feast
2. Infant Baptism
3. Catechism
4. Holy Orders
5. Papacy
6. Priesthood
7. Nuns
9 The mass
10.Extreme unction
11.The Rosary
12. Benediction
14. Relic adoration
16. Requiem mass
17. Vigil lights
20. Indulgences
22. Confessionals
23. Nicea
25. Holy water
26. Confirmation
27. Purgatory
28. Sacraments
29. Penance
30. Celebacy

Just to give some perspective, I've bolded some items that some non Catholic Christians believe and/or practice. I probably left some out as well.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:58 AM

89,077 posts, read 85,693,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
1. The Eucharistic Feast
2. Infant Baptism
3. Catechism
4. Holy Orders
5. Papacy
6. Priesthood
7. Nuns
9 The mass
10.Extreme unction
11.The Rosary
12. Benediction
14. Relic adoration
16. Requiem mass
17. Vigil lights

20. Indulgences
22. Confessionals
23. Nicea
25. Holy water
26. Confirmation
27. Purgatory
28. Sacraments
29. Penance
30. Celebacy

I am non Catholic. We have the bolded as part of our tradition. I am not sure what you mean by "vigil lights", but we do keep the Presence candle lit in the sanctuary at all times.

I find it very odd that you would think that all non-Catholics do not practice infant baptism. I was baptized as an infant in the Reformed Church of America, which is not the denomination to which I belong now. MANY non-Catholic churches, and most of the mainstream denominations, baptize infants.

There are Anglican orders of sisters. They aren't called "Nuns", but it's basically the same thing.

You've obviously never strolled into a high Episcopal church or you wouldn't say that about statues!

Most of those things are, as noted, traditions, not anything required or necessary.

Thanks for the giggle with the misspelling in Item 24.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-29-2014 at 02:11 AM..

Old 12-29-2014, 02:06 AM

18,674 posts, read 18,968,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
I'm a non-Catholic. I don't believe in the Trinity - that God is 3 persons.
I honestly don't know what all Catholics do believe. I don't believe that creation was done in 6 days, as we know days to be. I don't believe everybody in the world came from Adam and Eve. I don't believe in a global flood. I don't believe everybody in the world came from Noah and his 3 sons. I don't think Ham was black.

I don't believe that a woman should cover her head in church. I don't believe in communion. I don't believe in calling a man Father or Holy Father. I don't believe that confessing to a man clears you of your sins. I don't believe in the church's saints or that Mary was the mother of God. I don't think any of these people are special and I don't believe that praying to them is right, good, or helpful.

I pretty much disagree with most everything organized religion teaches.
women covered their heads in church too in the past so not just catholic... I dont believe in any of it especially number 30.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
women covered their heads in church too in the past so not just catholic... I dont believe in any of it especially number 30.
I can see why #30 would be a problem!

The Catholic Church was the only one I attended that required a woman to cover her head. I'm sure there are others too. The Mennonite women always cover their heads where ever they go. Women used to wear hats as a matter of course, but it wasn't required to attend church where I went.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:41 AM

The Catholic Church was the first Christian church. When it began to splinter, a number of churches sprang up that kept many of the Catholic traditions, doctrines, and practices. The Lutherans, the Episcopalians, and the Methodist are just three of the bigger ones. The Oneness and the Holiness are two of the smaller ones. I call them Catholic off-shoots because they kept so many Catholic practices. There are really two main divisions: those that believe in the Trinity and those that don't.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:07 AM

89,077 posts, read 85,693,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
The Catholic Church was the first Christian church. When it began to splinter, a number of churches sprang up that kept many of the Catholic traditions, doctrines, and practices. The Lutherans, the Episcopalians, and the Methodist are just three of the bigger ones. The Oneness and the Holiness are two of the smaller ones. I call them Catholic off-shoots because they kept so many Catholic practices. There are really two main divisions: those that believe in the Trinity and those that don't.
Not really true, but a popular thing to claim.

Try telling that to the Greek Orthodox.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:42 PM

376 posts, read 492,659 times
Yeah, the list does not represent all non-Catholics by a long-shot.

If we are taking 'Catholic with a capital 'C', then there will be non-Catholic churches such as the Anglican or Orthodox churches that practice most of the listed items. Others, such as Presbyterians or Methodists, will practice some, and still others, such as many 'nondenominational' churches, will practice few or none, as will non-Christians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Thank you.

I think that one could come up with a list of Protestant doctrines / additions that enumerates what Roman Catholics / Orthodox do NOT believe. IE in eschatology, predestination, Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, etc.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Yes, I hear you!

I'm not familiar with the Greek Orthodox but I had read that they were the first Christian church. I should have worded that differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality