Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:08 AM
juj juj started this thread

1,657 posts, read 2,637,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
The Bible has alot to say about the relation of faith and works. From these verses we can conclude that works will not save us.
Romans 3: 27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
Romans 4:2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
The law and works of law really are talking about Jewish traditions like circumcision, eating kosher, etc. Most if not all Christians believe you don't have to follow Jewish traditions to get to heaven.

When I say works, I mean following the ten commandments, being good to your fellow man, charity, helping the poor and down and trodden, and other golden rule stuff, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 10:33 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,280,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
The law and works of law really are talking about Jewish traditions like circumcision, eating kosher, etc. Most if not all Christians believe you don't have to follow Jewish traditions to get to heaven.

When I say works, I mean following the ten commandments, being good to your fellow man, charity, helping the poor and down and trodden, and other golden rule stuff, etc.
Any "good" we ever do is as a result of faith, that this is what God wants us to do. However, no amount of good deeds will save us or keep us saved, rather we need to show our faith in God by following the direction given us by the Holy Spirit.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,255,238 times
I believe that there are many people who have faith in evil (like crime etc). I think that good and evil people can have faith in something and act accordingly.
I mean many people worship (thus also have faith in) money, power etc.
So clearly having faith is not enough.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:33 PM

91 posts, read 210,326 times
Good deeds without faith will not save us. By grace we are saved through faith. The salvation is a free gift. But then we are told 'by their fruits ye shall know them' - works should follow faith. Jesus said if we ignore the needs of others we are ignoring him. We do not earn our salvation by deeds but if we do not show our conversion through our actions then we have not been truly converted and when we come to cry "Lord, Lord" his reply will be "I never knew you."

These are the beliefs I came to through reading the Bible and these are the things which my church teaches.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:35 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,714,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Any "good" we ever do is as a result of faith, that this is what God wants us to do. However, no amount of good deeds will save us or keep us saved, rather we need to show our faith in God by following the direction given us by the Holy Spirit.
Totally agree!! The Spirit of God in the heart will lead and direct the true believer. And the believer really doesn't recognize they are doing it... It is so a part of their life they are living....it just happens... without a second thought!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:44 PM

292 posts, read 935,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowthewhisp View Post
Good deeds without faith will not save us. By grace we are saved through faith. The salvation is a free gift. But then we are told 'by their fruits ye shall know them' - works should follow faith. Jesus said if we ignore the needs of others we are ignoring him. We do not earn our salvation by deeds but if we do not show our conversion through our actions then we have not been truly converted and when we come to cry "Lord, Lord" his reply will be "I never knew you."

These are the beliefs I came to through reading the Bible and these are the things which my church teaches.
This is how I believe as well.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:56 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,551,568 times
I agree with most of the posters that faith alone saves you..I also believe that with your faith comes a desire and willingness and need to "let your light shine", that others maybe drawn to God through your example..

Old 01-11-2008, 01:14 PM

5,525 posts, read 7,365,779 times
what would Jesus prefer?

good works and no faith
or
faith and no good works

Old 01-11-2008, 01:15 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,255,238 times
I think Jesus prefers action.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:25 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,906,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
what would Jesus prefer?

good works and no faith
or
faith and no good works
Neither, is there an 'Option C'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality