Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 08:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times

Advertisements

Frankly, the whole Christian concept of Satan/Lucifer is just as cartoonish and stupid as Jesus' old man as depicted in the OT.

I honestly don't get how anyone in the 1st (or 2nd*) world, with access to post-elementary school education believes in either one of 'em.

*I have no idea what a 2nd-world country is. I'm pretty sure I only know 1sts and 3rds. Help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 08:32 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think the general evangelical rejoinder would be that Satan was appealing to Jesus' human weaknesses and appetites. That god made himself vulnerable to temptation by becoming incarnate as a human. Satan essentially saw attempting to corrupt Jesus as a rare opening in his opponent's defenses.

The bigger question to me is why god would create his own opponent, leave him in place, etc.
Yes, the larger question trumps the internal details, but within those internal details, Jesus the human would only be tempted if he was unaware that he was also god. If he was aware that he was god, then he knew in advance that the devil would try this temptation, and knew in advance that he would refuse it, so it never had a chance, did it?

And if we try to argue that Jesus wasn't aware that he was god, then we have the omniscience contradiction we were discussing in the other thread. How could an all aware, all knowing god conceal information from itself?

Old 06-01-2015, 08:46 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Yes, the larger question trumps the internal details, but within those internal details, Jesus the human would only be tempted if he was unaware that he was also god. If he was aware that he was god, then he knew in advance that the devil would try this temptation, and knew in advance that he would refuse it, so it never had a chance, did it?

And if we try to argue that Jesus wasn't aware that he was god, then we have the omniscience contradiction we were discussing in the other thread. How could an all aware, all knowing god conceal information from itself?
Maybe the story just wasn't that well written to begin with.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

Because Satan is the ruler of this world (temporarily).
And you know this....how?

Old 06-01-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The fact that you think the written word is the "word" of God means that you don't have it in your heart. Your mind is what makes you think that the Bible is the true word. Either your mind or your trust in the church.

My trust is not in the church, but in God alone.
I don't think that at all, I'm an atheist. You are correct in the part about me not having it in my heart, but I don't embrace the dogma either.

My point was that if you are structuring your religious beliefs on the basis of what you feel in your heart, then what you have is a unique religion, Ozzyism or whatever one might call it. I would add that you are unlikely to persuade others that you are capable of making cosmic determinations on the basis of heartfelt emotions.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:06 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times
Quote:
And you know this....how?
The Bible refers to Satan as the "god of this world (age)" in several passages.

2 Cor. 4
Eph. 2
John 12

Old 06-01-2015, 09:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:

2 Cor. 4
Eph. 2
John 12
So?

Old 06-01-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:

2 Cor. 4
Eph. 2
John 12
And you know that the author of those passages were correct.....how?

Old 06-01-2015, 10:14 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times
Quote:
And you know that the author of those passages were correct.....how?
This thread is nonsensical speculation. Yet you ask me for proof? The Bible is as good a source (or better) than anything else put forth.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
This thread is nonsensical speculation. Yet you ask me for proof? The Bible is as good a source (or better) than anything else put forth.
Of course I ask, why wouldn't anyone ask? Why should anyone believe this on the basis of your assertion only?

You make these assertions of supposed truth, you are asked for the reasons why we should believe them, and your response is to get angry.

Is this because you don't have any persuasive reasons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality