Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 10:47 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Of course I ask, why wouldn't anyone ask? Why should anyone believe this on the basis of your assertion only?

You make these assertions of supposed truth, you are asked for the reasons why we should believe them, and your response is to get angry.

Is this because you don't have any persuasive reasons?
Did you ask anyone else?

I will not waste my time defending the Bible; you are aware of the usual defenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 12:30 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,609 times
Quote:
Okay, but the question remains as to exactly how an omnipotent deity may be tempted by anyone, devil or lesser adversary.
As I learned in Catholic school, Jesus was both human and divine. It was his human nature that could feel oain, hunger, anger, weakness, and all those other things that humans all feel.

I'm sure that just about all Christians believe something along those lines.

PS I dont believe in an all powerful evil being who leads us to commit evil acts. We dont need the help.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:46 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
Quote:
I don't think that at all, I'm an atheist. You are correct in the part about me not having it in my heart, but I don't embrace the dogma either.

My point was that if you are structuring your religious beliefs on the basis of what you feel in your heart, then what you have is a unique religion, Ozzyism or whatever one might call it. I would add that you are unlikely to persuade others that you are capable of making cosmic determinations on the basis of heartfelt emotions.
You call me a "religious" person even though I speak so strongly against religion, and I make my own decisions with my mind.

But how do you make decisions about your own life?

Old 06-02-2015, 03:48 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Did you ask anyone else?

I will not waste my time defending the Bible; you are aware of the usual defenses.
In other words, you don't have an answer.

I am certainly not defending the Bible myself. Just trying to explain its intent.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:17 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,113,519 times
Quote:
Did you ask anyone else?

Then your contribution to the discussion is limited to an unbacked assertion which you refuse to explain.

I do not understand why you bothered to post.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
In other words, you don't have an answer.

I am certainly not defending the Bible myself. Just trying to explain its intent.
Quote:
Then your contribution to the discussion is limited to an unbacked assertion which you refuse to explain.

I do not understand why you bothered to post.
I answered a couple questions, including the OP, from a Biblical perspective. That's as valid (if not more) than anything else tossed out there.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:51 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
True obedience is following God. His commands come directly through the heart. They cannot be written down on paper, and they cannot be expressed in words. So anyone who claims to have them written on paper does not have them in his heart, and his spirit will naturally become more and more rebellious. Rebellion is following religion.

When you follow a book or a religious person's ideas about "God" that is really the same as listening to Satan, who appears to speak for God himself.
I think its the otherway round.
God's commandment came as revelation to his chosen men, including Jesus. some or many commandments were then written.
Some were lost and some were corrupted. Quran remains the only one that is preserved. Nothing changed, nothing got lost. To this date, it's impossible to make an iota worth of change in Quran or produce a book like it - it's an open challenge to all humanity.

However, on the other hand, it's the devil or Satan who does NOT have his message written in a book. Devil temptates humans without a piece of paper.

So you have the man, who has a choice whether he follows God or Devil?

Old 06-02-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I answered a couple questions, including the OP, from a Biblical perspective. That's as valid (if not more) than anything else tossed out there.
You employed a source you are apparently unwilling or unable to defend as valid. If rather than presenting any original ideas, you substitute someone else's claims, it is entirely appropriate for your audience to question the legitimacy of your source. If you cannot or will not provide substantiation for that source, then your contribution has consisted of parroting the idea's or assertions of another, without any explanation as to why anyone else should take that source seriously.

That to me is just making noise.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
You employed a source you are apparently unwilling or unable to defend as valid. If rather than presenting any original ideas, you substitute someone else's claims, it is entirely appropriate for your audience to question the legitimacy of your source. If you cannot or will not provide substantiation for that source, then your contribution has consisted of parroting the idea's or assertions of another, without any explanation as to why anyone else should take that source seriously.

That to me is just making noise.
Why am I held to a higher standard than anyone else on this thread? The Bible is a well-known source- you either accept it or not.

The OP was about a Biblical event. Why do you question a Biblical answer?

Old 06-02-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Why am I held to a higher standard than anyone else on this thread? The Bible is a well-known source- you either accept it or not.

The OP was about a Biblical event. Why do you question a Biblical answer?
Why do you not question things found in the Bible? It represents the opinions of people who lived thousands of years ago during an age of superstition and scientific ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality