Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 01:37 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Why do you not question things found in the Bible? It represents the opinions of people who lived thousands of years ago during an age of superstition and scientific ignorance.
Ah! You have revealed your true intentions! You are anti-Bible (and probably anti-Christian).

1) Again, why are you holding the Bible to a higher standard than what other posters have said?

2) If you're going to discuss a Biblical event, you should be open to a Biblical perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 02:05 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Ah! You have revealed your true intentions! You are anti-Bible (and probably anti-Christian).

1) Again, why are you holding the Bible to a higher standard than what other posters have said?

2) If you're going to discuss a Biblical event, you should be open to a Biblical perspective.
Revealed? It was not obvious to you all along? I masked nothing so you're a bit slow on the uptake, aren't you?

You have not answered my questions, you have ducked them. The assumption on the part of the readers, and me, will be that you have no answers, that you are unable to present any sort of defense of the validity of the Bible. You obviously have sufficient time on your hands to continue with these transparent attempts to avoid confronting the question, that time could have been invested in answering.

My conclusion is that you cannot back up what you say and the only thing that will reverse that conclusion is if you now do so. No more evasions, put up or shut up time.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Revealed? It was not obvious to you all along? I masked nothing so you're a bit slow on the uptake, aren't you?

You have not answered my questions, you have ducked them. The assumption on the part of the readers, and me, will be that you have no answers, that you are unable to present any sort of defense of the validity of the Bible. You obviously have sufficient time on your hands to continue with these transparent attempts to avoid confronting the question, that time could have been invested in answering.

My conclusion is that you cannot back up what you say and the only thing that will reverse that conclusion is if you now do so. No more evasions, put up or shut up time.
And you have not answered my question. Why am I being held to a higher standard than other posters on this thread? The Bible is the most well-known book in the world. Everyone here is familiar with it, and has an opinion on it's validity. Nothing I say will change that one iota. Why should I waste my time?

Old 06-02-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
And you have not answered my question. Why am I being held to a higher standard than other posters on this thread? The Bible is the most well-known book in the world. Everyone here is familiar with it, and has an opinion on it's validity. Nothing I say will change that one iota. Why should I waste my time?
You are not held to any higher standard, that is something you are making up to avoid answering my question.

If your problem is fear of wasting time, why have you wasted so much of your time responding with evasions rather than answering? Obviously time isn't the obstacle, the absence of a persuasive answer is.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
You are not held to any higher standard, that is something you are making up to avoid answering my question.

If your problem is fear of wasting time, why have you wasted so much of your time responding with evasions rather than answering? Obviously time isn't the obstacle, the absence of a persuasive answer is.
No one else here has been asked to prove the validity of their answer.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
So what? Ask others if you like. I am asking you.

Clearly you are unable to answer, yet you keep responding, keep repeating the same evasions.

You are a poor representative of your faith, and sadly, an all too familiar one.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:58 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
So what? Ask others if you like. I am asking you.
Clearly you are unable to answer, yet you keep responding, keep repeating the same evasions.
You are a poor representative of your faith, and sadly, an all too familiar one.
Why are you badgering jimmie about the validity of the Bible? Validity for what? . . . the basis of his faith? Of course the Bible exists and is the basis of his faith. It is a valid source of information for that purpose. What other validity do you want from jimmie? If you want him to prove that God was the author . . . that would be asinine since you know perfectly well that men (in many cases unknown men) were the authors.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:22 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
How many others beside you are presenting a fundamentalist view that's not even in line with Christianity before the 20th century? How many others besides yourself are trying to say the fantastical events in a (probably) fictional story are true, including miracles and magic?

Are you saying that you shouldn't be questioned for presenting things that can only be explained by magic?

Honestly, you remind me in some ways of a technical professor who, when he couldn't answer our questions, always said "magic" was the answer.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:37 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
How many others beside you are presenting a fundamentalist view that's not even in line with Christianity before the 20th century? How many others besides yourself are trying to say the fantastical events in a (probably) fictional story are true, including miracles and magic?

Are you saying that you shouldn't be questioned for presenting things that can only be explained by magic?

Honestly, you remind me in some ways of a technical professor who, when he couldn't answer our questions, always said "magic" was the answer.
Actually, you also need to open up to a wider spectrum of possibilities and consider looking into beyond what you believe.

Here is an example,

500 years ago people would think going to the moon is possible only by magic.
Traveling accross the ocean in a metallic device is magic
Talking to someone a thousand miles away is only by magic.

What you may consider magic today, may become a scientific fact a 1000 years from now, who knows?

What jim believes may or may not be true but when you come to judge a faith by a scientific experiment in a lab then you probably not gonna go far.

Is science against religion? Absolutely not!! Is religion against science? Absolutely not !!

Science is a huge treasure of knowledge that should be continously grown to benefit humanity; however, when it comes to judge religion or faith by science then science can only take you to a certain point because science has a lot of catching up to do with a few aspects of faith.

Scienctific knowledge can give you indicators about the validity of a certain faith when you are on the journey to find God, but the FINAL leap in the faith is blind. Remember, this FINAL LEAP comes from your heart and not your brain.

And probably you don't wanna keep on searching all your life - Time is of essence here. You need time and energy to try to act upon what God (if you find him) has recommended for you to do, and not to do so that you could be successful on the judgement day.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:18 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Actually, you also need to open up to a wider spectrum of possibilities and consider looking into beyond what you believe.

Here is an example,

500 years ago people would think going to the moon is possible only by magic.
Traveling accross the ocean in a metallic device is magic
Talking to someone a thousand miles away is only by magic.

What you may consider magic today, may become a scientific fact a 1000 years from now, who knows?

What jim believes may or may not be true but when you come to judge a faith by a scientific experiment in a lab then you probably not gonna go far.

Is science against religion? Absolutely not!! Is religion against science? Absolutely not !!

Science is a huge treasure of knowledge that should be continously grown to benefit humanity; however, when it comes to judge religion or faith by science then science can only take you to a certain point because science has a lot of catching up to do with a few aspects of faith.

Scienctific knowledge can give you indicators about the validity of a certain faith when you are on the journey to find God, but the FINAL leap in the faith is blind. Remember,
Quote:
this FINAL LEAP comes from your heart and not your brain.
And probably you don't wanna keep on searching all your life - Time is of essence here. You need time and energy to try to act upon what God (if you find him) has recommended for you to do, and not to do so that you could be successful on the judgement day.
How can this be, the heart does no thinking? I suppose you mean that it comes from emotion instead of logic, of which I agree. However, emotion that contradicts logic is never a reliable measure of truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality