Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 03:15 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
When is it ever justifiable to let huge numbers of people die from starvation, disease, accidents, wars, etc if God has the power to prevent those things from happening? What do you say to the guy who had his arm blown off in a war? "Oh, sorry...God is a personal God and just decided that you are unique enough to not need my help. Your circumstances and life experiences do not really warrant god's intervention."

Why is it justifiable to blame God for everything? Much of the ills of this world are because of man's actions. We introduced sin into this world. We made the bed, now we have to lie in it. Sure God has the power to prevent things like wars but you are asking him to become a puppet master and control individual people's thoughts and actions to keep them from doing harm. God doesn't want to control people like that.

Quote:

Why not? Isn't that the ultimate endgame in Christianity? No more crying...no more pain? Why do we need to wait until after we die for God to make everything right? Sounds like a scam to me.
Because sin put a curse on our physical bodies. God can not co-exist with sin so there's no way He could allow sin corrupted physical bodies to exist in heaven.

Quote:

Again, why won't God fix the fallen world right now? Jesus's blood sacrifice already paid for the sins of the world, so why isn't "the fall" a thing of the past?

The blood sacrifice didn't eliminate the curse in the physical world. God would have to basically obliterate this earth and create a new one from stratch. . The sacrifice did allow the immortal spirit part of your being to be set free from the curse and become born again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 04:37 PM

879 posts, read 1,962,032 times
IF there were a God, there could only be two possibilities:

1) He intervenes AT TIMES, saving people like Tzaphkiel from death by cancer when he sees fit to do so. But then you'd have to buy that, at the same time, he ALLOWS many, many completely innocent children to die horrible deaths every day.

2) He NEVER intervenes, choosing instead to allow us humans to control our own destinies, for better or worse. Okay, but if that's the case, then everyone who thinks they were saved/helped by God, prayer, etc., is simply fooling themselves.

So which is it, believers?

Old 06-22-2015, 04:45 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

Why is it justifiable to blame God for everything?
So he gets all the credit, but none of the blame? Man - I wanna be god. I wish my life worked that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
God doesn't want to control people like that.
Oh. OK. Then there's no point at all in praying. God doesn't want to be involved in our lives at all.

Thanks. Got it now.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:40 PM

779 posts, read 483,896 times

Old 06-22-2015, 05:55 PM

176 posts, read 189,449 times
^ It's obvious, isn't it? He is the creator of the universal order but he is not responsible for the human order, we are.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:28 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
Some Christians claim they have evidence that the deity and an afterlife exist. However, when asked to reveal it, they fail to do so. WHY?

"If there was evidence for the existence of a personal God, what would be the value of faith?"-Joseph Campbell, "The Power of Myth".

It is about faith. No evidence needed. You can make an argument that believing something on faith is "stupid", but said argument would itself not be based on any evidence.

The statement "don't believe anything that science can't prove!" cannot itself be proven scientifically.

There is no rational, scientific evidence for God. But I believe anyway. Why? Because I choose to.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post
IF there were a God, there could only be two possibilities:

1) He intervenes AT TIMES, saving people like Tzaphkiel from death by cancer when he sees fit to do so. But then you'd have to buy that, at the same time, he ALLOWS many, many completely innocent children to die horrible deaths every day.

2) He NEVER intervenes, choosing instead to allow us humans to control our own destinies, for better or worse. Okay, but if that's the case, then everyone who thinks they were saved/helped by God, prayer, etc., is simply fooling themselves.

So which is it, believers?

Wow, that is one of the most childish, simplistic statements I have ever seen. Congratulations. Never before has there been a post I can refute with five words:

Free will and naturally theology.

Let me explain:
Define "intervene". If I call the cops on my neighbor who is killing someone, did I "intervene"? Yes? Okay. So if the cops don't do anything, am I to blame?

Now, if God intervenes on, say, a famine, by making it possible for people in the first world to stop the famine, but the people do not, who is to blame?

Free will automatically means human suffering, as flawed humans will make the wrong decisions.

And natural theology is the belief that God does not usually break its own rules. It designed the video game, and expects us to win or lose based on playing with no cheat codes.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStars View Post
^ It's obvious, isn't it? He is the creator of the universal order but he is not responsible for the human order, we are.

Yes, but some people just don't like religion for personal reasons. No amount of well thought out arguments will ever make them concede anything.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:13 PM

779 posts, read 483,896 times
Isaiah 45:7

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Psalm 139:16

Your eyes saw me when I was formless; all my days were written in Your book and planned before a single one of them began.

John 1:3

All things were created through Him, and apart from Him not one thing was created that has been created.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:23 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,691,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
"If there was evidence for the existence of a personal God, what would be the value of faith?"-Joseph Campbell, "The Power of Myth".

It is about faith. No evidence needed. You can make an argument that believing something on faith is "stupid", but said argument would itself not be based on any evidence.

The statement "don't believe anything that science can't prove!" cannot itself be proven scientifically.

There is no rational, scientific evidence for God. But I believe anyway. Why? Because I choose to.
Then this is not a belief, but a self-induced delusion. I must give you props though because most people aren't willing to admit this, including many on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality