Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 03:08 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
And this is why no rational conversation can ever be had with religious Conservatives about homosexuality.

Until they can accept what homosexuality actually is, there's no point in going any further.
It's not only religious people who believe homosexuality is not something you are born with. So they can also say "this is why no rational conversation can ever be had with those who support LGTB about homosexuality." Name-calling doesn't make one's opinion better than the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 03:15 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Again....you seem to think that pulling some strange idea out of your backside is better than reading what God actually said. I'm sorry...but why should anyone believe you over anyone else?

God has said differently. I know that the ideas you pulled out of your posterior might say differently, but sorry...I see no reason to believe your backside over God.
First, nothing you have read is what God "actually said," it is what is printed in a book written by men about what they understand of what is appropriate behavior.
Second, the idea I have expressed are clearly scriptural but not the kind of application YOU want to see because you are too worried about peoples' backsides to think about their hearts.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:27 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Yes there should be outrage..

$135K is not nearly ENOUGH...nothing short or a MILLION would be comforting..
Why not make "gay hate" a capitol crime and be done with it.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:28 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I would like to see more data before drawing a firm conclusion, but looks like I could be wrong. However,
this article doesn't seem to agree:

Canada HIV & AIDS Statistics | AVERT

Well i wanted to look at a specific country where SSM has been legal for the longest. When I looked at Denmark, here is one website that looks like the trend is increasing, not decreasing.

HIV, AIDS and general life expectancy statistis for Denmark.
SSM became legal in Denmark in 2012.

SSM was a reality in Canada almost a decade ago

Old 07-14-2015, 03:30 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
It's not only religious people who believe homosexuality is not something you are born with. So they can also say "this is why no rational conversation can ever be had with those who support LGTB about homosexuality." Name-calling doesn't make one's opinion better than the other.
I would bet that it mostly is, though, and they refuse to believe that homosexuals are born the way they are because of what it would mean. Because of the implications it would have on their understanding of God......

They would be forced to accept that their God must have created homosexuality, which would mean the Bible is errant after all, which would turn their world upside down. They would then be forced to reconcile that contradiction. So it's easier to just believe that the people who've gotten their heads chopped off for being gay in some countries have willingly chosen that fate.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:40 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Why not make "gay hate" a capitol crime and be done with it.
I will call my congress person tomorrow..like they did in Germany with the Nazi's?

Old 07-14-2015, 04:01 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
The the Nth time--baking a cake is not SUPPORTING any lifestyle any more than baking a cake for a parolee is supporting the person's parole.
It is if the cake is for a "got out on parole" party.....

Old 07-14-2015, 04:03 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Again...how exactly is that relevant? We don't allow the heterosexual man to have 2 wives...why would sexual desire dictate what is good and normal?
Dude... Two wives would be a nightmare.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:08 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I would like to see more data before drawing a firm conclusion, but looks like I could be wrong. However,
this article doesn't seem to agree:

Canada HIV & AIDS Statistics | AVERT

Well i wanted to look at a specific country where SSM has been legal for the longest. When I looked at Denmark, here is one website that looks like the trend is increasing, not decreasing.

HIV, AIDS and general life expectancy statistis for Denmark.

I do not see how you come to that conclusion based on those graphs. It only shows that the number of people with HIV/AIDS has increased each year which is what we would expect. Without knowing the number of either new cases or the number of deaths each year it is hard to draw a conclusion that there has been an increase in number of gay aids related cases. We know the medical treatment has greatly extended the life span of people with aids. As well the article I linked showed that heterosexual people had just a slightly higher percent of cases than male to male cases hence it is difficult to determine an increase, decrease or plateau for gay cases from the graph you posted. Was the death rate stable or decreased during that period, if people are living longer with the disease the trend should increase even if there was a decrease in the number of new cases. The graph does not show the number of new cases but the number of people alive with the disease. The graph itself is very misleading as if you look at the year 2005 there were an additional 300 people with the disease but the graph and the table claim that the percentage of people with the disease doubled. As they rounded off the numbers it is useless. Going from 4300 to 4600 does not double the percentage unless there was a significant die off of the rest of the population that year which I do not recall.

In the Canada example of 2008 is misleading if I read it correctly as it is comparing the number of reported cases in one year to the number of estimated cases in the other year. I may have read that wrong so correct me if I did. I did use a one year example but if you do look at the raw data on the site I provided you will notice that since 2005 there has been a downward trend in number of new cases. Some years go up and some do down but there is a definite downward trend. I have no idea if same sex marriage is a contributor to the downward trend but it does dispute your original claim.

Thank you for the link though.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:11 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
SSM became legal in Denmark in 2012.

SSM was a reality in Canada almost a decade ago

Good catch, I think perhaps both Jeff and I saw Denmark and thought the Netherlands, I know I did just because he mentioned the longest with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality