Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 10:32 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Why would you say Man is deteriorating? Our average lifespan is longer than ever. Our species dominates the Earth like no other species has. Humans are clearly smarter than our ancestors, judging by the increasing sophistication of technology versus primitive stone tools.

I think that we have better access to knowledge and more knowledge not necessarily being smarter. But no evidence of becoming stupider, perhaps more are less educated or poorly educated.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:49 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Too many creationists have the notion that evolution works to make an animal perfect. There is no goal in evolution, animals are not evolving to be better. Evolution works that the individual that is best adapted to its current environment is more likely to leave more offspring than the individuals that are not as well adapted. As environment changes, so does which individual is best adapted.
Sometimes even unbelievers need to be reminded of this. Evolution does not optimize for enjoyment, it optimizes for survival. Technically, and more accurately, it selects for what genes will or won't be more likely to be passed on to the next generation. Evolution does not "care" if an individual organism lives or dies, or is stressed or not in the meantime, so long as it functions long enough to pass on its genes.

And of course evolution does not "care" about anything really, it is not a conscious entity with intentions, it is simply an emergent mechanism of biological activity.

When you really understand this it puts an end to all the "it's not fair" and "why me" hand-wringing when things go "wrong" in your life.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:56 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Sometimes even unbelievers need to be reminded of this. Evolution does not optimize for enjoyment, it optimizes for survival. Technically, and more accurately, it selects for what genes will or won't be more likely to be passed on to the next generation. Evolution does not "care" if an individual organism lives or dies, or is stressed or not in the meantime, so long as it functions long enough to pass on its genes.

And of course evolution does not "care" about anything really, it is not a conscious entity with intentions, it is simply an emergent mechanism of biological activity.

When you really understand this it puts an end to all the "it's not fair" and "why me" hand-wringing when things go "wrong" in your life.
Anytime I have a bad day or find myself ruminating over all of my failures and misfortunes, I just sit back and think "it's all just matter in motion." Then I usually feel better.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:23 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Natural selection does not give the answer .
If there were so there would be many more creatures that would tolerate being frozen and come back to life.
There re many insects that die to preserve their species even explode . This is not a evolved process .
Beside the fact,with on all species the graduation should exist and the DNA should be more compatible and it is not.
Mutations do not reproduce them self. (except for man's interference)
If evolution was a valid point why is man deteriorating with time and not getting stronger healthier and smarter?
In fact the opposite is true
In terms of why Man may seem to be deteriorating, that largely is due to our modern lifestyle and the crap that is put into our food ... NOT because evolution has ceased.

It should also be remembered that modern homo-sapiens haven't been around long enough to really show major evolutionary changes.

At any rate, the Biblical story of how humanity came to be is pure bunk. Pure and utter bunk.

There are more than enough biological pieces of evidence to support evolution and ZERO evidence to support the "Poof" theory.

Everything from males having nipples to getting goosebumps designed to fluff up our fur so we look larger (think cat) ... back when we had fur. From certain people being able to wiggle their ears due to vestigial muscles that once allowed us to rotate our ears (again, think cat) to the fact that some babies are still born with tails that are usually amputated at birth. From rare cases of people being born with two extra bones that once facilitated running on all-fours to the fact that our eyes are actually better suited to see underwater than on land ... all of these things and many more clearly shows the evolutionary process of humanity.

And then we have all of the crazy handicaps of the human body that no "loving" God would have EVER designed into us.

For instance: Turds. Uh huh, yep, that's what I said. Turds. Only a completely sadistic God would have designed our bodies to excrete these little toxic blobs of bacteria and germs without giving us the slightest clue about the dangers. Thus until just 80 to 150 or so years ago, most of us lived in our own filth, rarely bathed, allowed raw sewage to flow freely in our city streets, and merely threw the contents of our bedpans out the nearest open window. Thus turds have killed more people than all of the bombs, bullets, arrows, and swords ever dropped, shot, or swung in the history of Mankind. What a nice God to do that to us.

Yet what it DOES show is that we have far and away more commonalities with the rest of the animal kingdom than we do differences. Our unfortunate need to excrete bodily waste is just the kind of thing evolution would require of us, but to imagine that a Supreme Being deliberately and knowingly equipped us with this literally fatal flaw is preposterous.

Here's another one for ya:

What kind of malicious God would design humans without the ability to regenerate our teeth? Think about it. Many Egyptian mummies were discovered to have missing teeth and problems with abscesses because the sandy conditions meant sand would often get into their food. Chewing food laced with sand caused the sand to wear away the enamel much more rapidly than in other types of environments. Considering God kept exclusively to the desert and dealt only with desert tribesmen, one would think that this special consideration would have been met. But oh no ... while people were dying of turd-related diseases, God must've gotten a laugh from watching people in agony with toothaches, too.

Or we could go about it the logical away and assume that desert-dwellers were too small a population for evolution to affect the strength or regenerative abilities of human teeth.

For Man being the pinnacle of God's creation, we're certainly filled with A LOT of physical flaws (which doesn't say much for the designer now, does it ...)

But, I suppose, if all else fails, we can merely assume that God only made it LOOK like we evolved just to trick us into thinking evolution is true instead of the "Dirt and Rib" idea. Right?

Last edited by Shirina; 08-31-2015 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: I had to rush my original post to the hospital after it tried pulling its tooth with poo on its hands.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:37 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Another example of how creationists/IDers don't understand science.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:05 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Another example of how creationists/IDers don't understand science.
And how they do not know or that they do not know.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Anytime I have a bad day or find myself ruminating over all of my failures and misfortunes, I just sit back and think "it's all just matter in motion." Then I usually feel better.
Yep. Or when I'm tempted to ask "why me?" I ask instead, "why not me?"

We all want an "A for effort" but no one is keeping score. It's simply a fact that the connection between effort and outcomes is flaky and subject to "interference" or "noise" in the system.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:31 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yep. Or when I'm tempted to ask "why me?" I ask instead, "why not me?"

We all want an "A for effort" but no one is keeping score. It's simply a fact that the connection between effort and outcomes is flaky and subject to "interference" or "noise" in the system.
Yes.

I try to focus on the positives of the randomness. While I loathe the fact that I was born in evangelical Christianity, it could have been worse: I could have been born in present day Saudi Arabia, Medieval Europe, or during some historical disaster like WW1 or WW2.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
For instance: Turds. Uh huh, yep, that's what I said. Turds. Only a completely sadistic God would have designed our bodies to excrete these little toxic blobs of bacteria and germs without giving us the slightest clue about the dangers. Thus until just 80 to 150 or so years ago, most of us lived in our own filth, rarely bathed, allowed raw sewage to flow freely in our city streets, and merely threw the contents of our bedpans out the nearest open window. Thus turds have killed more people than all of the bombs, bullets, arrows, and swords ever dropped, shot, or swung in the history of Mankind. What a nice God to do that to us.
Sometimes you leave me in a helpless eye-watering spasm of laughter, S.

This stuff is so absurd, laughter is the only workable response to it anyway. But you have a way of putting it just so. Thanks for that.

Of course all animals excrete, and it's only a problem for us because we congregate in cities and lack the instinct to poop downstream from where we drink. Which highlights that actual knowledge is the solution to the world's ills. Now that we know the mechanisms of how disease is transmitted we are motivated to put the extra effort into sewer systems / treatment plants, vermin control, bathing, medical research, etc.

But back during the Bubonic Plague, I am sure that the solutions proposed by religion involved more rigorous adherence to religious precepts, the better to deflect the wrath of the deity and guard against the wiles of Satan. Funny how that works to religion's advantage, and people's lives be damned. Literally.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:24 PM

468 posts, read 265,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
In terms of why Man may seem to be deteriorating, that largely is due to our modern lifestyle and the crap that is put into our food ... NOT because evolution has ceased.

It should also be remembered that modern homo-sapiens haven't been around long enough to really show major evolutionary changes.

At any rate, the Biblical story of how humanity came to be is pure bunk. Pure and utter bunk.

There are more than enough biological pieces of evidence to support evolution and ZERO evidence to support the "Poof" theory.

Everything from males having nipples to getting goosebumps designed to fluff up our fur so we look larger (think cat) ... back when we had fur. From certain people being able to wiggle their ears due to vestigial muscles that once allowed us to rotate our ears (again, think cat) to the fact that some babies are still born with tails that are usually amputated at birth. From rare cases of people being born with two extra bones that once facilitated running on all-fours to the fact that our eyes are actually better suited to see underwater than on land ... all of these things and many more clearly shows the evolutionary process of humanity.

And then we have all of the crazy handicaps of the human body that no "loving" God would have EVER designed into us.

Yet what it DOES show is that we have far and away more commonalities with the rest of the animal kingdom than we do differences. Our unfortunate need to excrete bodily waste is just the kind of thing evolution would require of us, but to imagine that a Supreme Being deliberately and knowingly equipped us with this literally fatal flaw is preposterous.

Here's another one for ya:

What kind of malicious God would design humans without the ability to regenerate our teeth? Think about it. Many Egyptian mummies were discovered to have missing teeth and problems with abscesses because the sandy conditions meant sand would often get into their food. Chewing food laced with sand caused the sand to wear away the enamel much more rapidly than in other types of environments. Considering God kept exclusively to the desert and dealt only with desert tribesmen, one would think that this special consideration would have been met. But oh no ... while people were dying of turd-related diseases, God must've gotten a laugh from watching people in agony with toothaches, too.

Or we could go about it the logical away and assume that desert-dwellers were too small a population for evolution to affect the strength or regenerative abilities of human teeth.

For Man being the pinnacle of God's creation, we're certainly filled with A LOT of physical flaws (which doesn't say much for the designer now, does it ...)

But, I suppose, if all else fails, we can merely assume that God only made it LOOK like we evolved just to trick us into thinking evolution is true instead of the "Dirt and Rib" idea. Right?
Deuteronomy 23:12 told you what to do with your turds lol .
It was humans that brought the death of poor hygiene on themselves .
It's clearly written what to do with it.

As for the rest of your post , 90% of it is unbackable bs as your side would put it .

Last edited by clickstack; 08-31-2015 at 06:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality