Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 04:48 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,223,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
See post 3.
It is my observation on these boards that many atheists are unwilling to admit there is that which is greater than they are.
What about post 3? That person said that their definition for god is "One that is worshiped ... or followed." "Money was their god." Then they go on to list god as "whatever" _fill in the blank_____ It "could" be this or it "could" be that. If it is not a supernatural divine being, then to call any other such thing "god" is not the same thing. Heck, even us atheists don't necessarily discount the possibility of a supernatural deity. We just don't currently, actively believe in any at the present time (which is why the label atheist applies to us). If we were provided with evidence which convinced us that one existed, then we would believe today.

I'm not even sure what you mean by "that which is greater than" us? I guess the universe is greater than me, the president, lots of smart people, my family, etc. But I don't worship them or think of them as gods.

Do you only think of God as being greater than you?

Last edited by mythunderstood; 09-25-2016 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Good to hear there are atheists who believe in spirits. What do you mean by spirits?

I remember my great uncle (who was also an atheist) saying that he believed that his sister (who died when she was 5) would come visit him when he was sick. He admitted that he didn't have any evidence but just a feeling that she was with him.

Atheists can (and some do) believe in any cornball belief that you can think of. Just not gods (by definition).

Old 09-25-2016, 05:02 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
I remember my great uncle (who was also an atheist) saying that he believed that his sister (who died when she was 5) would come visit him when he was sick. He admitted that he didn't have any evidence but just a feeling that she was with him.
Good
Glad to hear it

Old 09-25-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
And you are a beloved child of God, regardless of whether you claim the label
Hmm, that's interesting. If you are talking about the Christian God, then I am sure there are many Christians who would disagree. According to the bible, only believers are children of God.
Galatians 3:26
For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

John 1:12
But to all who did receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God--
And if you are not talking about the Christian God, then what exactly are you referring to when you say I am a "child of God."

Old 09-25-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Good
Glad to hear it
Yeah. He also believed in those UFO abduction stories for a while , until they were proved to be a hoax. He wasn't called our crazy uncle for nothing!

Old 09-25-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
. ....He wasn't called our crazy uncle for nothing!
So now you are saying atheists can believe in and have interactions with spirits but if they do they are called crazy?

Quote:
Atheists can believe in ....even spirits and such...

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-25-2016 at 06:10 PM..

Old 09-25-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
.... what exactly are you referring to when you say I am a "child of God."
The Creator that made everything.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
The Creator that made everything.
No, I meant what do you mean when you say I am a "child of god"?

Old 09-25-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood
. ....He wasn't called our crazy uncle for nothing!

So now you are saying atheists can believe in and have interactions with spirits but if they do they are called crazy?
Oh, the family called him crazy for many reasons, not just his beliefs. As for his belief about his sister, I am not convinced he had actual interactions with her. I don't even think he would have said he did. Remember, he said he didn't have any evidence, just a feeling that she was present with him. I might attribute that to a number of things. It only happened on occasions when he was sick which means he may have been medicated at the time. Or, thinking about his sister comforted him, and he felt close to her when he was quiet and alone in the bed. There could be numerous reasons why he had this "feeling" other than there being an actual spirit floating about.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
No, I meant what do you mean when you say I am a "child of god"?
God makes everything and that includes you. My phrase was you are a beloved child of God; as a parent loves their child deeply so too God loves us

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-25-2016 at 07:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality