Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 08:08 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,371,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
God = Time.
We have a workable word for time already. It is.... wait for it..... "time".

And we have great words for love, the universe and everything too. "Love". "The universe". And "everything".

See how it works yet?

Why people need to replace entirely workable words with other ones, let alone words that come with a lot of metaphysical baggage and history, is a mystery to me.

For all the sense you are making (that is: none) you might as well just say "God = Spoons" or "God = Nacho Dip". How is that any more (or less) useful or informative? Clue: It isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 10:46 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,154,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

And we have great words for love, the universe and everything too. "Love". "The universe". And "everything".

See how it works yet?

Why people need to replace entirely workable words with other ones, let alone words that come with a lot of metaphysical baggage and history, is a mystery to me.

For all the sense you are making (that is: none) you might as well just say "God = Spoons" or "God = Nacho Dip". How is that any more (or less) useful or informative? Clue: It isn't.
That.

I suspect it's an attemp to "move the goalposts." Now that science explains many things once attributed to "God," theists must move the goalposts by saying that God is "something else."

If "God" is actually a chili dog down at Sheetz, then I am no longer an atheist.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:01 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,076 times
God = Universe

Old 09-26-2016, 12:24 PM

22,154 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Why people need to replace entirely workable words with other ones...
what is your word for the Creator that made everything?

Old 09-27-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
God = Universe
Same as above, we have a workable word for universe already. It is: "Universe".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
what is your word for the Creator that made everything?
There is no reason at this point to think there was a "creator" in any intentional or intelligent or conscious state. There is no sign or evidence, least of all from you, to suggest there was any intentional or intelligent agent behind it.

For me, the origin of our universe is still an open question, the answer to which we are entirely ignorant.

But yes, thanks ONCE AGAIN, for simply whole sale ignoring my last post, dodging it, then following up with a question post of your own. I am noticing something of a pattern here.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:08 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,131 times
Quote:

See how it works yet?

lol haha
Only if you were able to perceive that there is a world beyond your limits of imagination.

It's not the word. It's the idea.

TIME: Deny it as much as you can, but you can't run away from it. Isnt that sexy?

Old 09-27-2016, 01:16 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,829,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP
I have no interest in having a scholarly discussion on this topic but would like to know how the various members of this forum define the word "God".
Peaceful,loving.......... I dunno what else to say......

Old 09-27-2016, 01:17 AM

Quote:
lol haha
Informative and mature response, not. Though I do note that nothing you wrote above actually replies to anything in my post.

Quote:
Only if you were able to perceive that there is a world beyond your limits of imagination
Ah the old perception canard again where the speaker pretends the problem is not their lack of ANY evidence at all, but the targets lack of perception of what they declare to be true.

Not buying. Never bought this canard before, not about to buy it now. If you want to claim there is something beyond my current knowledge, experience, perception or imagination then I am waiting for the evidence you have to suggest this is true. Evidence you have thus far never presented. Even a little bit. Anywhere. Ever.

Quote:
TIME: Deny it as much as you can, but you can't run away from it. Isnt that sexy?
Empty mantras that say absolutely nothing are erotic to you? How.... unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Peaceful,loving.......... I dunno what else to say......
Those are characteristics not definitions. A bit like if someone said "What is a dog?" and I answer "Well mine likes chasing balls".

Old 09-27-2016, 01:45 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,131 times
Quote:
Informative and mature response, not. Though I do note that nothing you wrote above actually replies to anything in my post.

Ah the old perception canard again where the speaker pretends the problem is not their lack of ANY evidence at all, but the targets lack of perception of what they declare to be true.

Not buying. Never bought this canard before, not about to buy it now. If you want to claim there is something beyond my current knowledge, experience, perception or imagination then I am waiting for the evidence you have to suggest this is true. Evidence you have thus far never presented. Even a little bit. Anywhere. Ever.

Empty mantras that say absolutely nothing are erotic to you? How.... unusual.

".
Yet, the clock does not stop. The time keeps clicking, tick tick tick .....deny it as much as you can, and try running away from it as far as you can.

You can't beat it, you can't overcome it, you can't stop it, you can't run away from it.

God is time.

Perhaps you will understand this when the bell rings, and the last curtain falls on your eyes. but that will be too late to surrender.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Yet, the clock does not stop. The time keeps clicking, tick tick tick .....deny it as much as you can, and try running away from it as far as you can.
Please quote where I ever denied any such thing. Or admit you are now simply making up nonsense to dodge actually replying to what I did write.

You post fatuous non-replies like this, then have the gall to accuse OTHERS of dodging? Wow. Just.... wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality