Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 07:24 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
how do you answer: "what is the purpose of life for me? what is the meaning of life for me? what do i put above all else in importance, time, attention, and value?"
that's your god
Quote:
for me? God creates, sustains, and permeates all of existence and everything in it across time and space. God is both within us (immanent) and all around us (transcendent). All knowing, all powerful, all loving, ever present, as near to me as my own hands and feet, and exquisitely concerned with and involved in every detail of my life and well being.
See, this makes more sense. This sounds like a god to me. It is not so far removed from what us atheists posted. Of course, this is something we can find no evidence to support, so we don't believe, but I can agree with you that this idea, this concept is definitely a god.

Quote:
how do you answer: "what is the purpose of life for me? what is the meaning of life for me? what do i put above all else in importance, time, attention, and value?"
that's your god
I tend to think this is a different question. This is the answer to, "What do you treat as if it were a god ( as defined above)" I don't think that someone valuing wealth suddenly makes a money god who creates, sustains, and permeates everything, etc... It is simply a metaphor for that person placing that thing in the position in their life that you believe should be reserved for god ( see the above definition).

-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 07:26 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,161,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
A smoldering, burning heart.

SoCalAngel? People might start thinking we are the same person....stoppit.
Love it! lol! I keep thinking of more...

Generous beyond our wildest imaginations
A giver of gifts... His very own Divine Love for our souls

Old 10-12-2015, 07:31 PM

22,177 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
"What do you treat as if it were a god"
what is it for you then? what are you chasing after?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Not my own words, but a dictionary definition that fits for me: "One that is worshiped ... or followed." "Money was their god."

and it is hilarious to me NoCapo that you as an atheist are insistent on saying god is something that creates and sustains everything, and at the same time saying but of course it does not exist. ROFL

Old 10-12-2015, 07:55 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times
Quote:
and it is hilarious to me NoCapo that you as an atheist are insistent on saying god is something that creates and sustains everything, and at the same time saying but of course it does not exist. ROFL
Why is that hilarious? If we couldn't agree on a definition of a word we could never get to the part about evaluating the reality of it. This is the crazy semantic game that GldnRule likes to play, defining god as anything and everything he wants it to be for a given argument. It is pure semantic tomfoolery. To have a meaningful discussion about the existence of something, it must first be defined. Your definition is a relatively standard definition, nothing too esoteric, and is a fine one for the purposes of discussion...

The creating and sustaining everything bit is, in fact, a good reason to argue it doesn't exist.If there is something that is responsible for everything that exists (creates, is the source of, etc...) then that thing, by definition is non-existent. If it is causally prior to everything that exists, then it must not exist, as it cannot be casually prior to itself...

-NoCapo

Old 10-12-2015, 08:15 PM

22,177 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
The creating and sustaining everything bit is, in fact, a good reason to argue it doesn't exist.If there is something that is responsible for everything that exists (creates, is the source of, etc...) then that thing, by definition is non-existent. If it is causally prior to everything that exists, then it must not exist, as it cannot be casually prior to itself...

-NoCapo
God is first cause NoCapo. There are many paradoxes which make for a very rich, engaging, delightful, palace to wander exploring the many chambers, gardens and treasures. It expands the intellect, and the views and grandeur and learning are dazzling, engaging, remarkable.

too bad we don't get to discuss that
the person who claims something does not exist, is unable to delight in or partake of those treasures, or even sit in on the conversation, because they are denying themselves access

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-12-2015 at 08:25 PM..

Old 10-12-2015, 08:15 PM

63,808 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
-NoCapo
Causality is a trap for the Omni-Dude Creator because it is unavoidably ensconced in an infinite regress. "To Be or not To Be, that is the question." Being requires no causality. It just IS. When the Source and reality are one and the same, it is existence itself, simply Being, that provides all the parameters and processes that comprise reality, including consciousness.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:27 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The word God carries a lot of baggage for many people and is used frequently on this forum.

I have no interest in having a scholarly discussion on this topic but would like to know how the various members of this forum define the word "God".

I will start I use that word as a metaphor for the universe.
My view of GOD is similar on a definitive basis.
Also, G-O-D is not a name, it is a title, like "hero", "boss", "leader", etc...that can be assigned to anything or anyone perceived as such. GOD is NOT what any individual or group demands GOD must be to be GOD. The definition and perception of GOD is unique to everyone, and no two perceive GOD exactly the same way. No persons definition or perception has any more or less merit than any other.
To Me: GOD is all the matter/energy that exists and has existed. It is as "Godly" as it gets.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:27 PM

569 posts, read 552,313 times
God is holy. Nobody could ever define and know Him.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
I only have the faintest hint of a clue and am not able to articulate it satisfactorily.

But I know what it is not.

Which is a start.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:35 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPPU12345 View Post
God is holy. Nobody could ever define and know Him.
Then why do you bother trying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality