Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 09:48 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,978,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
There is no science vs religion. Thats the same as saying accounting against electrical. silly sleepers. or history against art.
That should be true. Unfortunately, religion has taken it upon itself to dictate 'science'. I frequently get attacked for accepting the theory of evolution and things like that. When the bible is taken as literal and unquestionable hard fact there is going to be some questions asked like how in heavens name could the entire planet be covered in water in a great flood? Something has to give and it's not going to be science. So there's a clash.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:06 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,154 times
Religion and science are for the most part man's theology and man's conclusions respectively. God though provided the truth in scripture ( His word) written by inspired transcrptionists allowing religion to decipher via various doctrines some not bad other full of baloney. God provided the elements or ingrediance for science to uncover His creation including the universe. Some scientists are great at scientific research and advances others are full of baloney. So the sum of religion and science equates to nice and you guest it baloney!!!

Old 10-22-2015, 02:06 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,255,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
That should be true. Unfortunately, religion has taken it upon itself to dictate 'science'. I frequently get attacked for accepting the theory of evolution and things like that. When the bible is taken as literal and unquestionable hard fact there is going to be some questions asked like how in heavens name could the entire planet be covered in water in a great flood? Something has to give and it's not going to be science. So there's a clash.
I agree. Religion thinks it owns the conversation on ALL topics especially science.

Odd how Religion thinks this especially since most religious folks are purely lost souls with respect to science

Old 10-22-2015, 03:08 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I agree. Religion thinks it owns the conversation on ALL topics especially science.

Odd how Religion thinks this especially since most religious folks are purely lost souls with respect to science
Neither are all that.
All species (except homo sapiens) exist just fine with neither. And so did humans...for the majority of the time they've been around, anyway.
We don't NEED either one. They both produce as much bad as good. Neither has anything on the other in the goodness/badness departments.
The Religious may have contemplated their desire to wipe out tens of millions of others they don't feel are worthy of living (the "infidels") in a snap of the fingers...but only through Science has a thought that evil been made manifest, with a specific effort to achieve the ability to actually accomplish that.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:21 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

wrong. Religion does not think it owns conversation. In fact, I didn't know it had a mouth.

We don't need to make up stuff because they do ya know.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Neither are all that.
All species (except homo sapiens) exist just fine with neither. And so did humans...for the majority of the time they've been around, anyway.
We don't NEED either one. They both produce as much bad as good. Neither has anything on the other in the goodness/badness departments.
The Religious may have contemplated their desire to wipe out tens of millions of others they don't feel are worthy of living (the "infidels") in a snap of the fingers...but only through Science has a thought that evil been made manifest, with a specific effort to achieve the ability to actually accomplish that.
I get your point, I agree, but saying we don't "need them" is like saying we don't need "legs". We need a mode of transportation and we need to be able to express emotion or learn by the nature of what we are.

I also like how you use the words " ... the religious ...". That is on point, as they say.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
No, people attack you. Not religion. Ignorant people are ignorant and rational people are rational. Both exist in both camps. Why we let ignorant people tell us what to do I'll never know. I thinks it politicians against engineers myself.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:31 AM

Quote:
wrong. Religion does not think it owns conversation. In fact, I didn't know it had a mouth.

We don't need to make up stuff because they do ya know.
You are the wrong one. Look at the ID/Creationist movement...sure they don't think they own the conversation on science

You are wrong about almost everything you post. I also highly doubt that you are an engineer as you so claimed in the philosophy forum.

I know plenty of engineers and every one of them appears competent and know how to write legibly .

Old 10-22-2015, 03:41 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,081 times
Quote:
I get your point, I agree, but saying we don't "need them" is like saying we don't need "legs". We need a mode of transportation and we need to be able to express emotion or learn by the nature of what we are.

I also like how you use the words " ... the religious ...". That is on point, as they say.
Humans naturally come with legs as part of their anatomy...we would be so diminished without them, survival would be difficult, even iffy.
Religion and Science are just superfluous mental accouterments that we might be better off without.
Our legs are almost totally a benefit to our existence. Religion & Science both mess us up as much as they help. Actually...in my opinion they both will end up doing more overall harm than good.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Neither are all that.
I do agree we don't need religion. It certainly has caused more harm than good.

Science on the on the other hand has helped us in more ways than harmed us. We would still be stuck in the Dark Ages. We would be dying at the age of 35 or from the plague or any other bacterial invasion if it weren't for science.

We would not have a clue about most things in the world or Universe if it weren't for science.

You clearly need to expand your horizons.

Last edited by Matadora; 10-22-2015 at 04:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality