Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 04:49 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,671,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I do agree we don't need religion.

Science on the on the other hand has helped us in more ways than harmed us. We would still be stuck in the Dark Ages. We would be dying at the age of 35 or from the plague or any other bacterial invasion if it weren't for science.

We would not have a clue about most things in the world or Universe if it weren't for science.

You clearly need expand your horizons.
From strictly the "scientific" standpoint of "survival of the fittest"...technological advances that have people living past the point that they can contribute, and are requiring effort and resources to maintain with little to no added value to the species survival...is a detriment, not an advantage.
Instinct gives mammals all they "need" to know to survive.
"Science" has given us the technological advances that are causing all the pollution and depletion of all the natural resources...and ruining the Earth's environment and compromising its habitable qualities. It has given us enough weapons of mass destruction to blow up and kill every complex organism on the planets land, several times over.
Some people may take the short-sighted, selfish view and think that because their own individual circumstance, in the tiny blip of time of their life, is improved...that means it has been made better for everyone, overall, for the long run. I don't believe it is.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:58 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,704,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
From strictly the "scientific" standpoint of "survival of the fittest"...technological advances that have people living past the point that they can contribute, and are requiring effort and resources to maintain with little to no added value to the species survival...is a detriment, not an advantage.
"Science" has given us the technological advances that are causing all the pollution and depletion of all the natural resources...and ruining the Earth's environment and compromising its habitable qualities. It has given us enough weapons of mass destruction to blow up and kill every complex organism on the planets land, several times over.
Some people may take the short-sighted, selfish view and think that because their own individual circumstance, in the tiny blip of time of their life, is improved...that means it has been made better for everyone, overall, for the long run. I don't believe it is.
Yet, you seem willing, even eager, to take advantage of the "evil" science made available to you for your enjoyment or maybe to spread your message. Science hasn't simply extended humans' nonproductive lives, but has provided a much longer productive life where some individuals contribute to society even into their nineties, not to mention the emotional advantages to their families from experienced long-living mentors. Certainly some advancements by the scientific method have resulted in misuse by humans, but these far outweigh the positive gains we have been lucky enough to experience.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:25 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,282,291 times
Quote:
You are very short sighted. It's not science that is causing the harm it's humans. Humans are causing all of the pollution and depletion of natural resources and ruining the Earths environment...yes you and the rest of us combined.

Humans conduct war not science. Your analogy is akin to those who claim that guns kill. No the gun does not jump up and kill...its humans who kill.

You really need to expand your horizons.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:37 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,217,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
As best I can tell from his nonsense, his point is that all of this might just be an illusion in your head, including the fact that you have created me in your head writing this to you , thinking I am responding of my own volition in trying to explain to you his ridiculous reasoning, even though I and the thoughts in my mind are a mere invention of your imagination or some sort of Matrix type illusion.
Yeah the same old misappropriated solipsism argument that because I might be the only thing real, therefore we are all using faith to even interact with reality, therefore having faith in anything...even the absurd...is all equally valid. Perhaps philosophically this is equally valid, but it is not rationally equal.

Of course this argument is not what rational people believe based on our observations, yet it is difficult to disprove just as the usual hypothetical myths of unicorns, leprechauns, gods, etc. Similar to "the non-interventionist god looks an awful lot like a god that doesn'the exist", in the end the argument is unhelpful for explaining much of anything so the most productive use of our time is to move past the navel gazing and solipsism.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:10 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,373,908 times
Quote:
Thank you. Science also gave us social Darwinism, which was the driving force behind killing off the jews.

Another thing. This discussion is pointless and stupid. Science is the brain, religion is the heart. As in, we discover new technology, but it's really up to us to use it responsibly, and we cannot do this without a sense of what is right and wrong. Christians promoted science for a long time, particularly medicine, until cold types decided that we don't need approval from religious leaders. Okay, so maybe not. Let's talk about nuclear energy and how we bombed the hell out several areas of Nevada because we could. Or massive multinational corporations trying to run lives. Or hey, let's talk about a completely atheist culture, communist Russia and China. How they were pretty scary places to live in. Yes, we can get religious nutters, but not having those won't prevent people from screwing their lives up. Balance. Balance is the key. That we are having this Science vs Religion means you do not understand.

Without science, we'd all be pagans living on farms.

Without religion, we would have a culture that kills healthy animals (or people) for organ donations.

Btw, ppl accusing him of being shortsighted, and trying to use that "guns don't kill people" rationale for factories... uhhhh, you realize without scientific advances, we wouldn't have factories, right? In fact, if you went back 2000 years, you'd likely be so surprised with how clean the air was that you'd rally for ecology.

Not all science is bad, it's produced such things as cellphones so people can be in touch. But when there is a split of science from morality, we have big smelly pollution, government oppression, and cruelty. I would like towns that work with nature, solar energy, and less machines in favor of more organic technology.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 10-22-2015 at 06:23 AM..

Old 10-22-2015, 06:22 AM

18,518 posts, read 9,201,444 times
Quote:
Feel free to join an isolated tribe in the Amazon jungle then.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:29 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,373,908 times
Freak, shut up. There isn't an either/or, us/them split between science and religion.

We thrive most when science leads people toward a clean, bright future. When it goes in a path that rapes or pollutes nature, we have a problem. If our dominant religion was paganism, and our scientists were on board, we would have green cities by now.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:05 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,282,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Thank you. Science also gave us social Darwinism, which was the driving force behind killing off the jews.
Call it what you want. You can thank Religion for creating the rift between humans that worship different religions, which resulted in the religious wars.
Quote:
Without religion, we would have a culture that kills healthy animals (or people) for organ donations.
What a load of crap. With religion you have people killing in the name of their god. You have people doing the most horrific things to others as well as animals but are taught that all you have to do is believe. Religion is the poison in the minds of humans who use it as an excuse to kill, hate, divide and oppress.
Quote:
Btw, ppl accusing him of being shortsighted, and trying to use that "guns don't kill people" rationale for factories... uhhhh, you realize without scientific advances, we wouldn't have factories, right?
What the heck do guns have to do with factories being built to meet the demands of humans? Guns don't kill no more than a knife, hammer, fist, or whatever else you want to include. Humans kill.
Quote:
In fact, if you went back 2000 years, you'd likely be so surprised with how clean the air was that you'd rally for ecology.
Duh and that's becasue we had a lot less humans here to pollute the earth. 7.2 Billion today vs 300 Million 2000 years ago. It's pretty ignorant to think that industrial revolution was done with intent to harm the planet. There was no knowledge back then what factories would cause in the future. While you sit here and whine about it I bet money that you drive a car or truck, that you travel in planes. That most of the products and food that you use and consume are produced in factories. Yep blame it all on science.
Quote:
Not all science is bad, it's produced such things as cellphones so people can be in touch. But when there is a split of science from morality, we have big smelly pollution, government oppression, and cruelty. I would like towns that work with nature, solar energy, and less machines in favor of more organic technology.
Cell phones is all you can conjure up? WOW just WOW

Humans are what create smelly pollution, oppression and cruelty. You can thank Religion for starting this trend long ago and far away.

Last edited by Matadora; 10-22-2015 at 07:20 AM..

Old 10-22-2015, 07:16 AM

18,518 posts, read 9,201,444 times
Quote:
Freak, shut up. There isn't an either/or, us/them split between science and religion.

We thrive most when science leads people toward a clean, bright future. When it goes in a path that rapes or pollutes nature, we have a problem. If our dominant religion was paganism, and our scientists were on board, we would have green cities by now.
7 out of 10 on my wtf-meter.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:43 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,671,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
You are very short sighted. It's not science that is causing the harm it's humans. Humans are causing all of the pollution and depletion of natural resources and ruining the Earths environment...yes you and the rest of us combined.

Humans conduct war not science. Your analogy is akin to those who claim that guns kill. No the gun does not jump up and kill...its humans who kill.

You really need to expand your horizons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Yeah the same old misappropriated solipsism argument that because I might be the only thing real, therefore we are all using faith to even interact with reality, therefore having faith in anything...even the absurd...is all equally valid. Perhaps philosophically this is equally valid, but it is not rationally equal.

Of course this argument is not what rational people believe based on our observations, yet it is difficult to disprove just as the usual hypothetical myths of unicorns, leprechauns, gods, etc. Similar to "the non-interventionist god looks an awful lot like a god that doesn'the exist", in the end the argument is unhelpful for explaining much of anything so the most productive use of our time is to move past the navel gazing and solipsism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Feel free to join an isolated tribe in the Amazon jungle then.
This is getting good.
We even have the wonderful ignorance proclaiming "Science" and "Religion" some standalone entity...as if, Religion and Science do not necessarily ALWAYS require people to be made manifest or to do or accomplish anything, good or bad.
It's like people that refer to "The Government" paying for something...like there is some guy named Mr. Government that whips out a roll of cash and peels some off to cover some bill or expense...instead of the logical understanding that The Government money is ALWAYS money that is from the PEOPLE.
ANYTHING "Science" or "Religion" does or accomplishes is something done or accomplished by PEOPLE.
There is one of my favorite dumb arguments...that if one uses anything or partakes of anything, they are proscribed from any criticism of any aspect of it. Like the fools that criticize people attending a climate change summit or speech for the pollution put out by their transportation to get there. Should they only walk or swim there, lest they be designated hypocrites?
And, as always my favorite...that ever-loved infantile dumbstuff of giving equal billing to unicorns & leprechauns with Gods. I just chalk that up to confusion...that because unicorns and leprechauns have more mojo than Atheism, some are ignorant that they don't also have more mojo than Gods.
I really don't see how it could get much better...but, hey, I have FAITH a way will be found!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality