Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2015, 09:14 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,098,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It is not "my" definition...the definition comes from the full and complete definition supplied by Merriam-Webster...a top expert for defining words.
I always find it amusing watching the very people that would never consider an argument based on popularity to logically support anything...typically resort to it when they have no other way to force a limit on the definition of God.
Our starting points are so far apart that we may not be able to communicate effectively. But I will try.

To begin with, I reject your expansive definition of God as being functionally useless. I don't use it because it doesn't mean anything. Rather, the definition of God that I generally think if is an omnimax being.

Based on that, the being either exists, or it does not. That is a simple, objective truth. No room for popularity contests.

Definitions on the other hand are subjective. The sound/word "god", in and of itself, means nothing. As humans, we imbue the sound/word with meaning so that we can communicate with each other. This being the case, the most popular, generally accepted definition is the one that makes the most sense to make.

I know you will disagree with me, but I am not being inconsistent with my appeal to popularity for a subjective concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 09:55 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,667,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Of course...all have their own perception.
But, from a general definitive standpoint..."G-O-D" is not limited to just Religious Deities...but is much broader.
The problem stems from the prolific use of just the title "God" to refer to the two main Deities (Jehovah and Allah) in the two most common Religious texts (The Bible and The Quran)...so much so, that many can no longer separate the title from the names.
It would be like the people in the U.S. thinking that "President" can only be Barack Obama and no one else.
"God" is actually a very general descriptive term...much like "hero"...and can be properly assigned to anything or anyone perceived to be such. Those who feel that is somehow disrespectful to the specific Deity they worship and perceive as God to them, notwithstanding.
Oh yes, I agree that the common understanding of "God" is cultural. If we all lived in ancient Greece we would all have an entirely different understanding of "God", or "Gods" as the case may be.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:57 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,667,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerz View Post
it doesn't?

Old 12-12-2015, 04:08 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,644,619 times
either it exist or it doesn't ignores proper weights. it is not 50/50. As you add or subtract traits the weights change accordingly.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:57 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,247,935 times
In my state of Nebraska, the local atheists made news recently when they rented out the space at the capital building to put up their display rather than let a group put up a Nativity scene. They certainly have every right to do so--and they followed the rules in doing it. I'm not arguing that.

You can say what you want about just wanting to be left alone, but these folks are intentionally acting in a way that draws attention. They are not simply living and let live in an attempt to be left alone.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:03 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,280,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
In my state of Nebraska, the local atheists made news recently when they rented out the space at the capital building to put up their display rather than let a group put up a Nativity scene. They certainly have every right to do so--and they followed the rules in doing it. I'm not arguing that.

You can say what you want about just wanting to be left alone, but these folks are intentionally acting in a way that draws attention. They are not simply living and let live in an attempt to be left alone.
So what?

And to refresh your memory, the OP who made the claim that atheists just want to be left alone was our resident atheist expert, jeffy.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:04 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,278,887 times
Quote:
In my state of Nebraska, the local atheists made news recently when they rented out the space at the capital building to put up their display rather than let a group put up a Nativity scene.
It was an "either/or" situation with space for only one display? Did the atheists out-bid the group that wanted a Nativity scene?

Old 12-12-2015, 09:09 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,247,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It was an "either/or" situation with space for only one display? Did the atheists out-bid the group that wanted a Nativity scene?
They just got to it first. The 4 spaces were rented to allow people to display what they wanted and they reserved all 4 before the Christian group could get one. As I said--they played entirely by the rules, no argument there. But no--they are not simply wanting to be left alone.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:18 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,278,887 times
Quote:
They just got to it first. The 4 spaces were rented to allow people to display what they wanted and they reserved all 4 before the Christian group could get one. As I said--they played entirely by the rules, no argument there. But no--they are not simply wanting to be left alone.
Actually.... I just Googled it. A Nativity scene will be displayed until Dec 21st.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:26 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,280,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Actually.... I just Googled it. A Nativity scene will be displayed until Dec 21st.
And I suspect a Christian group or two has already booked their spots for next year.

That'll learn those dastardly godless heathens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality